LM12 LXDE 32bit Boot/Load Problem:

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zef

LM12 LXDE 32bit Boot/Load Problem:

Post by zef »

Does anyone have any idea why the 32bit LXDE edition of LM12 won't boot properly on my Toshiba Laptop--when the problem doesn't appear to be a bad source iso file or bad CD burn?

Computer Info:

PC: Toshiba Dynabook VX470LS (laptop)
CPU: Intel Pentium M processor (1.6gHz)
V: Mobile Intel 915GS/GMS,910GM Express Chipset Family
RAM: 1.28 GB
HD: 150 GB (SAMSUNG HM160HC)
OD: Matshita DVD-RAM (UJ-831S)

Some Other Pertinent facts:
1. The pc hardware & software work perfectly with WIN XP & Lucid Pupply Linux (liveCD-no install to a fixed device, USB connected device, or removeable media).
2. The LM12 source file that I am using is: linuxmint-12-lxde-cd-32bit.iso
3. The source file successfully passed a md5 checksum test that I conducted and matched the hash on LM's website for that file.
4. The burned CD successfully passed 2 Imgburn file verification tests. The 1st test was following the initial CD burn. The 2nd test was run after the files didn't seem to boot/load properly to verify there was no problem with the CD.
5. No removable media (except the CD) or USB devices are installed/connected to the computer while attempting to boot the LM12 CD.
6. The LM12 splash screen appears, then a gray screen with a while underscore cursor appears briefly, then a black screen quickly shows a rectangle of what appears to be mostly "U"s then the screen goes to completely black & becomes unresponsive to any keyboard options that I try (Esc, ctrl-alt-del, ctrl-alt-bksp, ctrl-alt-f1, etc).
7. I tried several different alternative boot options & none of them successfully finished loading properly.
8. On 2 other boot/load occasions, the screen froze & showed one of the following:
"checking ./casper/filesystem.squashfs"
"checking ./casper/filesystem.manifest"
9. I tried the CD in a newer (2009?) Toshiba laptop pc and it booted & ran perfectly. Now why won't it boot on my older (2006) Toshiba laptop pc??
10. I ran the Check disc for errors option and the pc also deep freezes during that process.
11. I tried the disc in compatibility mode and It also froze. Below are the last few lines of text that were displayed before the system froze:

[ 2.760450] [DRM] initialized i915 1.6.0 20080730 F4 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
[ 125.245244] ipw 2200: failed to send power_mode: command timed out.

Welcome to Linux Mint 12 LXDE (Gnu/Linux 3.0.0-12-generic i686

Welcome to Linux Mint

* Documentation: http://www.linuxmint.com

mint@mint ~ $

the "mint@mint ~ $" looks like it might be a shell command prompt label, but nothing I tried with the keyboard (typing or entering ctrl key options) had any affect on the display or operation of the computer at that point.

It looks like the system crashes when it is trying to activate the Intel Pro Wireless 2200 BG internet adapter. Do you have any idea what I can do to solve or work around this problem?

I would prefer to not have to download & burn the 32bit Gnome version, if this version can be fixed.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some useful knowledge on this problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jp734

Re: LM12 LXDE 32bit Boot/Load Problem:

Post by jp734 »

check this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=97600 . This fixed mine.
also do a search for "i915 black screen"
zef

Post by zef »

shows essentially:

"... I've found ... that a lot of users [are] having "screen issue" with intel graphics on kernels 2.6.37 and 2.6.38.

I upgraded my kernel and used "intel" as my driver on my xorg.conf. Also, I edited my /boot/grub/grub.cfg and added "i915.modeset=1""

1. How do I determine exactly which kernal is used in LM12 32bit LXDE edition?
2. How do I use the LM12 32bit LXDE edition LIVE/CD-Installation disc to upgrade my the kernal (if that is required) when the liveCD boot halts & I have no apparent control at the command prompt?
3. Being the noob that I am, I'm going to need a bit of help determining how I can modify the ISO files so that I can reburn the LIVE/CD so that it will boot & load properly in my laptop, before I can get to the point that I can install LM12 onto a bootable HDD or USB connected storage device.

Can you provide any help with how I would do that?
jp734

Post by jp734 »

using terminal, type "uname -a" and it will tell you the kernel version. Before upgrading the kernel, I'd recommend adding the option to your grub.cfg first and see if that will do the trick. Start there first.
zef

Post by zef »

I can reboot the LiveCD in another computer & use the "uname -a" command as you have suggested to determine the kernel version, but what would I need to do exactly to:

1. properly edit the grub.cfg file? Does it matter where I put "i915.modeset=1" in the file? Does it matter if I use nano or pico or any other file editor when modifying and saving the file?
2. update the xorg.conf file with "intel"?
3. update the kernal for use on a rebuilt bootable LiveCD?
4. create a new LiveCD with a different kernal & the above modified configuration files so that I can then use the LiveCD in my older Toshiba laptop pc?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

First try to find out if you have the latest BIOS for your computer. If not try the newer BIOS.

Next try some boot options on the Grub menu, press 'e' to edit, remove "quiet splash" and try adding "i915.modeset=0", "nomodeset", "i915.modeset=1", "acpi=off" or other boot options (without the quotes). Sometimes a combination of boot options are necessary.

Here is a thread where you can find some help about howto change grub.cfg and xorg.conf: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=93109
More boot options: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootO ... el_Options

Return to “Software & Applications”