LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) -{CLOSED}

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Brian49

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Mar 22

Post by Brian49 »

kokurya-kai wrote:grub-pc seems to only affect systems where grub is installed on a partition and not in the MBR.
At what point in installing LMDE does that choice get made, please? Also, do I take it that it can't be changed without a fresh install? Many thanks.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Brian,
it's at this stage (here grub is being installed at a partition- sda6)
craigevil

Re: Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Mar 22

Post by craigevil »

kokurya-kai wrote:installed libpcre3 without any problems
grub-pc seems to only affect systems where grub is installed on a partition and not in the MBR.
ah good then I can go ahead and upgrade grub-pc.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk
kokurya-kai

Post by kokurya-kai »

if you are not sure where you installed grub you can just reconfigure it with the following command

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Yes, that's done the trick - I've moved GRUB from a partition to the MBR, and have now been able to update the four related packages with no problems. I feel sure I had a reason for putting it on a partition originally, but can't remember what it was! Many thanks for the advice.

There was yet another update of the wretched libpcre3 this morning, to v.8.30-4.
karashata

Post by karashata »

A couple things I've encountered somewhat recently, one I've fixed by downgrading and one I can't for the life of me figure out...

First, the version of libgtk-3-0 and related packages in experimental seem to ignore rendering anything using the Unico theme engine, at least on my system, causing any themes that use the Unico engine to look somewhat broken. Has anyone else noticed this, and, if so, does anyone know a better way to fix it than downgrading the offending packages (and any dependants on them) back to earlier versions..?

Second, I've noticed that all of my notification pop-ups fail to ever be displayed (I'm running GNOME 3, by the way...). The application icons that reside in the notification area still appear there just fine, but none of the notifications from any of my running applications, from applications entering a ready state, connecting external drives, etc. ever get displayed on the screen. I tried running notify-send in a terminal in case it might display an error (something I read on an Arch forum thread where someone else seems to be having a similar issue...) but no error message was displayed. Has anyone else had this problem, and/or would anyone know how I could possibly fix this, bar downgrading/reinstalling related packages? (I've already tried reinstalling anything I could think of as remotely notification-related, and all packages are at testing versions already so there's no room to downgrade bar installing packages from Wheezy...) For that matter... does anyone know exactly what packages may affect notifications, whether directly or indirectly..?
GregE

Post by GregE »

I cannot answer your questions about notifications other than to say that my 64bit Sid/LMDE hybrid running Gnome 3.2 shows notifications correctly. I do run the gnome-shell-classic-systray extension, which allows the likes of Skype to show an icon on the top toolbar rather than hidden in the Gnome 3 notification area at the bottom. Plug in devices popup at the bottom and GMail notifications appear in the bottom right hand corner.

As a fault finding technique might I suggest creating a new user and logging into a clean, unmodified and extension free Gnome Shell and see if the fault persists. If you are lucky it might be as simple as deleting ~/.local/share/gnome-shell and starting again with the modifications.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

karashata wrote: the version of libgtk-3-0 and related packages in experimental seem to ignore rendering anything using the Unico theme engine
I noticed that too, but only with applications which do not yet support GTK3, like gnome-search-tool, for example. All other applications were fine. I also reverted to the versions of libgtk3-0 etc in Unstable.
karashata

Post by karashata »

GregE wrote:I cannot answer your questions about notifications other than to say that my 64bit Sid/LMDE hybrid running Gnome 3.2 shows notifications correctly. I do run the gnome-shell-classic-systray extension, which allows the likes of Skype to show an icon on the top toolbar rather than hidden in the Gnome 3 notification area at the bottom. Plug in devices popup at the bottom and GMail notifications appear in the bottom right hand corner.

As a fault finding technique might I suggest creating a new user and logging into a clean, unmodified and extension free Gnome Shell and see if the fault persists. If you are lucky it might be as simple as deleting ~/.local/share/gnome-shell and starting again with the modifications.

Just a couple of thoughts.
I decided to try something based on your reply, but rather than creating a new user outright I logged into my root account. Sure enough, notifications are working just fine there, suggesting that it is indeed something wrong with my normal user profile. I'll try deleting the above mentioned folder and see if that makes a difference...

EDIT: Well, that one folder alone doesn't seem to make a difference... I'll have to see what else might matter and carefully dissect my home folder until it's working normally again...

EDIT #2: Killed the dconf folder in my .config folder, lost some of my settings (of course) but notifications came back! I wonder what happened to it that might have broken them... oh well, gonna rebuild my previous configuration and hopefully notifications are here to stay.
Brian49 wrote:
karashata wrote: the version of libgtk-3-0 and related packages in experimental seem to ignore rendering anything using the Unico theme engine
I noticed that too, but only with applications which do not yet support GTK3, like gnome-search-tool, for example. All other applications were fine. I also reverted to the versions of libgtk3-0 etc in Unstable.
I'm not sure how that makes sense, it's the GTK 3 applications that aren't being rendered entirely properly because the newer GTK 3 libraries don't seem to recognize and use the Unico GTK 3 engine properly. The GTK 2 applications render perfectly fine, since they use the Murrine GTK 2 engine... Also, as far as I know, KDE applications configured to use the GTK theme still use GTK 2 as well, so they also render perfectly fine. (For what it's worth, gnome-search-tool from Testing onward *does* use GTK 3 as far as I can tell, so it's no wonder it wasn't rendered properly...)

In any case, downgrading was the only thing I could think of to do and it did work, hopefully at a later point in time everything will be fixed so the newer version of GTK 3 will properly utilize Unico again (whether that means an update to Unico to make it work with the newer version of GTK 3, or something being fixed in GTK 3 so it recognizes Unico again).
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

You're right - I got things mixed up!
karashata

Post by karashata »

Eh, that's okay, it happens.

I'm just glad I found fixes to both of those issues. Everything else has been near perfect for me and fixing those brings my LMDE SID/Experimental setup back to its former glory.
karashata

Post by karashata »

A somewhat small break, but something that bugged me anyway that may or may not be a problem for or even noticed by other people:

libcairo-gobject2 and libcairo2 from experimental (version 1.12.0-1) seem to cause some minor graphical anomalies with GNOME Shell (one I caught that bugged me was that the GNOME Shell notification tray was no longer rendered correctly, the colour wasn't a mostly-transparent black like my theme should be, it rendered more of a somewhat transparent greyish or whitish shade...). I don't know what else, if anything, might be "off", but I figured I'd mention it since I noticed it.
GeneC

Gnome Shell to XFCE??

Post by GeneC »

This is not a breakage, but unwanted.

Todays DU of my LMDE/SID/XFCE wants to install GNOME, Gnome Shell, Mutter, et.
I dont want Gnome on this install. I have another with Gnome Shell/Cinnamon

Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  capplets-data libebook1.2-10 libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-8 libedata-book1.2-2
  libedataserverui1.2-8
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  alacarte apg cheese-common evolution-data-server folks-common gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0
  gir1.2-caribou-1.0 gir1.2-folks-0.6 gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-gee-1.0 gir1.2-gkbd-3.0
  gir1.2-gmenu-3.0 gir1.2-mutter-3.0 gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0
  gir1.2-polkit-1.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12 gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2
  gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 gjs gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-contacts
  gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data gnome-online-accounts gnome-panel
  gnome-panel-data gnome-power-manager gnome-session gnome-session-fallback gnome-shell
  gnome-shell-common gnome-themes-standard gnome-user-guide libcaribou-common libcaribou0
  libcheese-gtk20 libcheese1 libclutter-imcontext-0.1-0 libcluttergesture-0.0.2-0
  libebackend-1.2-1 libedata-book-1.2-11 libedata-cal-1.2-13 libedataserverui-3.0-1
  libfolks-eds25 libfolks-telepathy25 libfolks25 libgee2 libgnome-control-center1
  libgnome-menu-3-0 libgoa-1.0-0 libgoa-1.0-common libgusb2 libgweather-3-0 libgweather-common
  libmetacity-private0a libmutter0 libmx-1.0-2 libmx-bin libmx-common libpanel-applet-4-0
  librest-0.7-0 librest-extras-0.7-0 libsocialweb-client2 libsocialweb0 libtelepathy-logger2
  metacity metacity-common mutter-common
The following packages have been kept back:
  gtk2-engines libgcj-bc
The following packages will be upgraded:
  colord cpp fonts-droid g++ gcc git git-man gnome-media google-chrome-beta gucharmap hdparm
  libcolord1 libgcj-common libgucharmap-2-90-7 libio-socket-ssl-perl libkpathsea6 libselinux1
  libsemanage-common libsemanage1 libtdb1 libwnck-3-0 libwnck-3-common linux-libc-dev tomboy
  wajig xchat-common
26 upgraded, 72 newly installed, 6 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 116 MB of archives.
After this operation, 136 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
This is with 'backports' and 'romeo' disabled.
I am going to wait and see what is going on before upgrading.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I'm not seeing any of that here on my Xfce system tracking SID. Perhaps you have some GNOME-related packages installed which at some point I've got rid of.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Brian

Yes, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)

Gnome-media was the problem. I locked that version,

gene@zordon:~$ apt-cache policy gnome-media
gnome-media:
  Installed: 2.91.2-3
  Candidate: 3.4.0-1
  Version table:
     3.4.0-1 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
 *** 2.91.2-3 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
I don't remember installing it, but I believe I did install Nautilus when having some issues with Thunar. Perhaps that got dragged in as a depends.

and DU went along normally.

Commit Log for Thu Mar 29 12:28:44 2012

Upgraded the following packages:
colord (0.1.16-2) to 0.1.18-1
cpp (4:4.6.2-4) to 4:4.6.3-3
debian-system-adjustments (2011.10.06) to 2012.03.29
fonts-droid (20101110+git-3) to 20111207+git-1
g++ (4:4.6.2-4) to 4:4.6.3-3
gcc (4:4.6.2-4) to 4:4.6.3-3
git (1:1.7.9.1-1) to 1:1.7.9.5-1
git-man (1:1.7.9.1-1) to 1:1.7.9.5-1
google-chrome-beta (18.0.1025.140-r128625) to 18.0.1025.142-r129054
gucharmap (1:3.2.2-2) to 1:3.4.0.1-1
hdparm (9.32-1) to 9.39-1
libcolord1 (0.1.16-2) to 0.1.18-1
libgcj-common (1:4.4.6-7) to 1:4.6.3-3
libgucharmap-2-90-7 (1:3.2.2-2) to 1:3.4.0.1-1
libio-socket-ssl-perl (1.61-1) to 1.62-1
libkpathsea6 (2011.20120322-1) to 2011.20120328-1
libselinux1 (2.1.9-3) to 2.1.9-4
libsemanage-common (2.1.6-2) to 2.1.6-4
libsemanage1 (2.1.6-2) to 2.1.6-4
libtdb1 (1.2.9+git20120207-1) to 1.2.9+git20120207-2
libwnck-3-0 (3.2.1-1) to 3.4.0-1
libwnck-3-common (3.2.1-1) to 3.4.0-1
linux-libc-dev (3.2.12-1) to 3.2.13-1
mint-artwork-xfce (2012.03.27.2) to 2012.03.29.1
tomboy (1.8.3-2) to 1.10.0-1
wajig (2.4) to 2.4.1

Installed the following packages:
libgusb2 (0.1.3-3)
Regulus74

Post by Regulus74 »

libgcj-bc has dependency issues in sid :?
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

karashata wrote:libcairo-gobject2 and libcairo2 from experimental (version 1.12.0-1) seem to cause some minor graphical anomalies
Those two packages have just come through as updates in the Unstable repository, and sure enough, minor graphical anomalies are now cropping up, mainly in the rendering of certain graphical elements on web pages. I've reverted to the previous versions to see if that solves the problem.
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

For awhile now when I do updates with the update managerI am getting the following message at the end:

E: linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: linux-image-amd64: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: linux-image-2.6-amd64: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

It always says update is complete.
Regulus74

Post by Regulus74 »

Regulus74 wrote:libgcj-bc has dependency issues in sid :?
Fixed
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Here is some more output on my problem.
Is everyone getting this?

Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64 (3.2.13-1) ...
Running depmod.
vmlinuz(/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
) points to /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
 (/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64.postinst line 268.
initrd.img(/boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
) points to /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
 (/boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64.postinst line 268.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.2.0-2-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
dkms.conf: Error! No 'BUILT_MODULE_NAME' directive specified for record #0.
Error! Bad conf file.
File: 
does not represent a valid dkms.conf file.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-2-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.2.0-2-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.2.0-2-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... Generating /boot/grub/default file and setting the default boot entry to 0
entry not specified.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64.postinst line 696.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-amd64:
 linux-image-amd64 depends on linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64; however:
  Package linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-amd64 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-2.6-amd64:
 linux-image-2.6-amd64 depends on linux-image-amd64; however:
  Package linux-image-amd64 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6-amd64 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
configured to not write apport reports
 Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64
 linux-image-amd64
 linux-image-2.6-amd64
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Return to “LMDE Archive”