Cinnamon disappears, other desktop peculiarities

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thumpdog

Cinnamon disappears, other desktop peculiarities

Post by Thumpdog »

Hi. This is kind of a Desktop Environment question, but it's not about just one environment, so it might go here.

I have Linux Mint 12 installed on two different computers. In each case, I installed the Xfce desktop to the existing installation. So at login, I have six choices.

On Computer #1, the desktop, I can no longer log into Cinnamon. If I choose it, I am put into GNOME.

I know Cinnamon is still there; in fact, Update Manager obediently fetched the 1.4 release just the other day.

If you were to troubleshoot this, where would you start? I'm kind of at a loss. I did uninstall and reinstall Cinnamon, which I admit is kind of a Windowsy thing to do.

Related, possibly:

On Computer #2, the laptop, where all the desktops are accessible, Cinnamon has kind of taken over Xfce. When I log into the Xfce desktop, Nautilus appears, and the desktop background is the one I chose in Cinnamon, not the one I chose in Xfce.

On Computer #1, where I can't get into Cinnamon, Xfce controls its own desktop background settings.

This isn't exactly a showstopping problem, of course, but it's puzzling, and it's a learning opportunity too.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thumpdog

Re: Cinnamon disappears, other desktop peculiarities

Post by Thumpdog »

OK, found it in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=94842, the Cinnamon 1.3 thread. There were several notices of this bug, proving that I did a lousy job searching before posting.

Oddly enough, running apt show cinnamon | grep nvidia returned nothing, indicating that the Nvidia dependency was not my problem. But I ran

Code: Select all

apt update
apt clean
apt reinstall cinnamon
apt remove --purge nvidia-current
anyway, and Cinnamon is back.
efelixlycos

Re: Cinnamon disappears, other desktop peculiarities

Post by efelixlycos »

I recently installed linux Mint 14 cinnamon, everytime I change the resolution on my monitor my desktop disappears. For now the solution is to re-install cinnamon, but this needs to be resolved. Besides this post, is there anything I can do?
Thanks! Happy new year.

Return to “Other topics”