Firefox 11 issue

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Clyde

Firefox 11 issue

Post by Clyde »

Most of the time after exiting firefox I will get an error message when I want to restart...

"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system"

I usually go to the terminal and use the 'killall' command to restart.

Why is this happening and is there something I can modify ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox 11 issue

Post by slider »

Most of the time this happens due to the app not shutting down properly an remains running in the background.

You will need to show hidden files Ctrl+h (most file browsers) or click view > show hidden files.

Check in ~/.mozilla/firefox/your-current-profile-directory/ look for "lock" and ".parentlock" files an delete them if they exist.

In case you are unsure, "~/" = "/home/your-user-name/" directory....

Let us know.

S :)
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
nomko

Post by nomko »

This can be solved:

A - Manually
1) Find your profile. It will be at /home/[username]/.mozilla/firefox/[Profile name]/.
The hidden file(s) and folder(s) can be made visible by pressing the Ctrl+H in Nautilus.
2) Remove the lock files. You have to remove these two files: lock and .parentlock.

B - Killing the process
1) Open a terminal and type the folowing command: ps auxwww | grep firefox. This will tell you what process number Firefox has.
2) Then type this command: kill [processnumber].

Good luck!
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

I only see a parentlock ... which I deleted.
I was able to restart after deletion.
However, after that I was having the same issue ... parentlock returns and sometimes deleting it doesn't help.

Sorry, but which one of these is a process number to delete ?

Code: Select all

$ ps auxwww | grep firefox
username   2179  2.2  4.2 186624 65136 ?        Sl   08:27   0:04 /usr/lib/firefox-11.0/firefox
username   2206  0.0  0.7  53192 12332 ?        T    08:27   0:00 /usr/lib/firefox-11.0/plugin-container /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so -greomni /usr/lib/firefox-11.0/omni.ja 2179 true plugin
username   2288 13.1  4.3 301824 66452 ?        Sl   08:29   0:04 /usr/lib/firefox-11.0/firefox
username   2320  0.1  0.7  53192 12332 ?        T    08:30   0:00 /usr/lib/firefox-11.0/plugin-container /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so -greomni /usr/lib/firefox-11.0/omni.ja 2288 true plugin
username   2371  0.0  0.0   3316   808 pts/0    S+   08:30   0:00 grep --colour=auto firefox
george238

Post by george238 »

Try this...
Menu/Administration/Systems Monitor/firefox. (may show 'sleeping')/end process.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Try this...
Menu/Administration/Systems Monitor/firefox. (may show 'sleeping')/end process.
I end process and i can restart firefox ... but if i exit firefox it will not restart unless i go back and either 'end process' or 'killall firefox'. This happened after the version 11 update ... I used 3.6 for a very long time without a glitch... ever since the last auto updates, firefox has had some issues on my system.
jimzhong

Post by jimzhong »

I wonder whether you are using any FF extensions or plugins that prevent FF from quitting normally.
You may try renaming /home/[username]/.mozilla/firefox/(or back it up and delete it), and then start FF and restart system to see if the symptom reoccurs. If not, there is something wrong with your present profile.

Return to “Software & Applications”