KDE mysteries

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edzep

KDE mysteries

Post by edzep »

(Wow, this forum is dead. Are there really that few Mint KDE users?)

My new Mint 12 KDE is looking good! -- except for problems noted below. This may be the most attractive and functional desktop I've used inn 25 years.

Fonts have gone out of control for the second time! (I've done two installs.)
Everything was beautiful, then something changed. I was not messing with the
fonts. I suspect it may have happened when I ran Konqueror. The font changed --
to Ubuntu, I think -- on window titles, and in KDE dialogs, Dolphin file lists,
and Thunderbird (monospace) message body text, among others. Firefox did not
change. Using KDE System Setting to change the font back does not work.

Damn, after a reboot, fonts are messed up in Firefox, too, and all of
Thunderbird. This is really annoying!

I'm using the network meter widget on my desktop. It WAS set with nice
green/blue colors on the lines. It changed to gray for no apparent reason. What
changed it, and how can I change it back? (There's no color item in its
Settings) --- OK, that fixed itself on reboot, for now.

How can I change the background image of the active splash screen theme? (not
the theme itself)

Is there any way to make the sensitivity zone for grabbing a window border
bigger, without making the border itself bigger?

How can I make a shortcut item to open Dolphin as Root?

Is Dolphin related to, or just renamed Konqueror file manager?

Hmm... and why am I seeing a Mint Gnome screen when as I log out? (BTW, this is KDE installed over a Mint Gnome install.)

And, why am I getting Nautilus launched automatically to my home folder? Maybe related to the KDE home folder widget on my desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: KDE mysteries

Post by mads »

edzep wrote:(Wow, this forum is dead. Are there really that few Mint KDE users?)
Mint 12 KDE was my first experience with KDE. I fell in love with it at once, praised Mint 12 KDE team for their work and even wrote a how to about fixing some minor issues.
Already after the first update, I encountered some "mysteries", but I was blinded by love and ignored them. After a few weeks, I reached the point where I started to look for
a solid KDE distro. I am using openSUSE now. No KDE mysteries here.
edzep

Post by edzep »

It's a shame. But, I think it's got to be 2 strikes (installs), and out. 4.7 GB is a big load, for that SUSE DVD. I'm going to see how the bandwidth treats me at the community college, tomorrow. The KDE in PCLOS seems too dated.
mads wrote:I reached the point where I started to look for
a solid KDE distro. I am using openSUSE now. No KDE mysteries here.
awolf

Post by awolf »

I'm using Mint KDE and have not had problems. I don't know the answers to any of your questions, but installing KDE over Mint Gnome is not exactly the same as just using Mint KDE, though I can't say whether that would relate to your problems.

I think the Mint KDE forum is not so active because lots of things people would discuss are just general and get discussed in the main forum anyway…
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

edzep wrote:(Wow, this forum is dead. Are there really that few Mint KDE users?)
Cinnamon is the hype now. Let's see how long it takes them.
rigermortis

Post by rigermortis »

/dev/urandom wrote:
Cinnamon is the hype now. Let's see how long it takes them.
I actually started this morning as a Mint GNOME user, and after 7 hours of not getting my graphics to function properly, I decided to install KDE and hope for the best. I am in love. The Catalyst drivers forced closed, or refused to work in GNOME, and I was stuck with dual monitor mode, unreadable text on one display, and distorted icons on both displays. Running the same drivers in KDE presented me with prompts on if I wanted to leave my display the new way, and I was on my way. I wish I had started with KDE first thing this morning, I would have accomplished a lot more today. Now I'm off to look into the only issue I'm having so far with KDE... Getting KWin to work properly. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten an ATI card for a box that now runs linux...
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Welcome to the light side then!
watcheroftheskies

Post by watcheroftheskies »

Nothing to do with the subject :) But KDE has made me return to Linux Mint. Tried Gnome 3, Unity, Cinnamon... KDE is just very stable right now and itś a beautiful desktop.
Itś also lighter than Gnome/Cinnaon it seems. But as always,... the garss i always greener... I may try Gnome 3.4 again. Not on the desktop, but I lied it on the laptop in 11.10.

Return to “Software & Applications”