[SOLVED] Flash broke accross all browsers after update

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leke

[SOLVED] Flash broke accross all browsers after update

Post by leke »

Hi, I just did an update and it seems to have broken my flash plugin on FireFox, GoogleChrome and Opera. I installed Flash Aid on Firefox and it seemed to find some conflicts and install some stuff, but still no flash.
I'm using LinuxMint 9 (isadora)

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vger7

Re: Flash broke accross all browsers after update

Post by vger7 »

I have the same issue.

I should have check the forum first because this has happened before.
I updated flash on two machines this morning and messed up flash on both.. all browser affected.
Flash-aid doesn't help as it wants to install 11.2 also.

It seems that 11.1 is no longer available and I had to downgrade to version 10 by
forcing version in synaptic.
Now many sites complain that my version is out of date.
Maybe mint can put 11.1 back in the repos. That would be nice as
this really sux.

You can force version 10 to be installed by running synaptic,
find the installer, click on package, then 'force version'.
Version 10 is the only other option. :(
vger7

Re: Flash broke accross all browsers after update

Post by vger7 »

OK... I found 11.1

1st remove 11.2 installer through synaptic.
Then install the .deb found here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ad ... ld/3260786

All good now!

BTW, if this works for you, please mark the subject SOLVED.
leke

Re: [SOLVED] Flash broke accross all browsers after update

Post by leke »

Worked nicely, thanks :)
fschaap

Post by fschaap »

Thanks, that works. I hope the problem gets patched in the repositories... 11.2 is the final version of Flash for Linux after all.
Linuxephus

Post by Linuxephus »

I had a similar issue where the Mint Flash package needed updating from its 11.1.x 2011 version to the latest 11.2.x version.

-"The flash player is the thing that isn’t updated automatically through mint updates, so after some time from system installation it might be quite obsolete.

Go to Adobe site and download recent tar.gz pack of FLASH player for linux.

Extract folder, open it and copy paste the libflashplayer.so file to etc/alternatives overwrite the old libflashplayer.so file.

That’s it, log in/out or restart browser. Check version with right click on any flash object in the browser. Be happy with new updated flash on your system"-

I chose this route versus installing the Adobe Flash package from the Repos. itself to avoid Mint Flash, among other things, from being uninstalled by default.
So be sure to follow the above instructions explicitly as you see them written.
Footnote: Courtesy of the author of the original link http://mintnext.wordpress.com/
FOSScula

Post by FOSScula »

worked a treat for us.. thank you vger7

while it works very well and flash videos now play in both firefox and chromium, any further updates thru software manager, synaptic, will overwrite the .deb from launchpad. Can't figure out which repository to disable to keep that from happening.. we tried the 'force version' method but that just overwrites our manually installed .deb from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ad ... ld/3260786
vger7

Post by vger7 »

While it's not ideal nor elegant, downgrading to 11.1 is a 'workable' solution, for now,
although it presents us with security vulnerabilities.

It's unknown as to what Adobe is going to do next, if anything for linux/firefox users
in light of their partnership with Google to only support Chrome.

Now if they do fix it, will it be a minor revision? Will it work with Firefox?
Will this be obvious in the repos without a update announcement in the forums or elsewhere?

I'm keeping the 11.1 .deb on hand just in case we get hosed again.
I'm just ignoring the update notifications from Synaptic for now.
Linuxephus

Post by Linuxephus »

Linuxephus wrote:I had a similar issue where the Mint Flash package needed updating from its 11.1.x 2011 version to the latest 11.2.x version.

-"The flash player is the thing that isn’t updated automatically through mint updates, so after some time from system installation it might be quite obsolete.

Go to Adobe site and download recent tar.gz pack of FLASH player for linux.

Extract folder, open it and copy paste the libflashplayer.so file to etc/alternatives overwrite the old libflashplayer.so file.

That’s it, log in/out or restart browser. Check version with right click on any flash object in the browser. Be happy with new updated flash on your system"-

I chose this route versus installing the Adobe Flash package from the Repos. itself to avoid Mint Flash, among other things, from being uninstalled by default.
So be sure to follow the above instructions explicitly as you see them written.
Footnote: Courtesy of the author of the original link http://mintnext.wordpress.com/
[sigh]
Had anybody applied the above *solution* in the aforementioned comment, then clearly it would no longer be necessary for a "workable solution" via downgrading or any other means excepting the following of several very simple instructions that obtains the latest version of Adobe Flash with-out need of removing the MintFlash variant of Adobe flash.
This has been tested and confirmed on the 32bit and 64bit versions of LinuxMint12 and technically should work the same with several previous LinuxMint Versions as well.
P.S.-Adobe Flash specifically for Linux 64bit operating systems is being discontinued for new versions of Flash *except* for security updates to said Flash for the next 5 years.
32bit Linux operating systems are not effected by the above statement.
This *option* allows the most up to date version of Adobe Flash to work across all browsers.
And thus the remaining choice is now left up to You The Reader.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

For the moment 11.2 is still the latest version so we don't yet have much problems with this Adobe + Chrome partnership.

Flash is dying anyway with the advent of HTML5. Youtube already supports HTML5 for example if you don't have (working) Flash. HTML is a free and open standard unlike Flash which is proprietary.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Linuxephus

Post by Linuxephus »

AlbertP wrote:For the moment 11.2 is still the latest version so we don't yet have much problems with this Adobe + Chrome partnership.

Flash is dying anyway with the advent of HTML5. Youtube already supports HTML5 for example if you don't have (working) Flash. HTML is a free and open standard unlike Flash which is proprietary.
Eventually, beyond doubt, as you stated, Flash is slowly but surely being put to the wayside.
However, it is still being developed for gaming and video applications which will still be applicable in the Web Browser arena.
Such as Google Chrome as you stated Albert. Including active development for the 32bit platforms (infer operating systems -unless that's been updated from a later announcement by adobe to the contrary of what I last read-).
11.2.x will be the last features/technology update for the 64bit platforms (aside from Google Chrome) with the exception of maintenance and/or security updates for the next 5 years.
Karis

Post by Karis »

None of the above fixes worked on Mint 9. Locking the version resulted in breaking Firefox. Downloading and installing libflashplayer.so file to etc/alternatives to overwrite the old libflashplayer.so file also failed and simply resulted in the Flash window to request download of plugin. All these solutions have so far been a fail. I prefer Mint 9 as i would like to stick with an LTS version. I have Mint 12 on a laptop and the Flash works fine. Why the difference?
Linuxephus

Post by Linuxephus »

Karis wrote:None of the above fixes worked on Mint 9. Locking the version resulted in breaking Firefox. Downloading and installing libflashplayer.so file to etc/alternatives to overwrite the old libflashplayer.so file also failed and simply resulted in the Flash window to request download of plugin. All these solutions have so far been a fail. I prefer Mint 9 as i would like to stick with an LTS version. I have Mint 12 on a laptop and the Flash works fine. Why the difference?
Why that should happen not to be working on Mint9 versus working exceptionally well on Mint12 is possibly (infer educated guess) due to Mint9 using earlier libraries of some sort whereareas Mint12 uses more up to date versions.
And that is assuming you're using Firefox12 or a recently updated Firefox and not one of the 3.6.x versions.
That also assumes you extracted the Libflashplayer.so correctly (which by your description, "it overwrites the old one"), it's clear that you have.
Do make note in the above comments where it was stated this was tested with positive results on Mint12, "but it should work on earlier (infer reasonably recent) Mint installs".
That being stated, in this case, I'll defer you to a more experienced User pertaining to Mint9.
Fotenote: In my /etc/alternatives, Libflashplayer.so is no longer Symlinked as it was with the original before being overwritten, yet it works perfectly.
I suggest you attempt to Symlink it to what the original (before it was overwritten) was Symlinked to.
I'm willing to bet once you Symlink it as it was in the original (before it was overwritten), that should solve your problem by necessity.
Notice everything in this directory is Symlinked except for the Libflashplayer.so.

Return to “Sound”