Cinnamon Extras PPA (discontinued)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

Cinnamon Extras PPA (discontinued)

Post by bimsebasse »

Native installation of applets, themes and extensions is in the works for Cinnamon and I'm retiring this PPA. It won't cause any problems for you but you have to update and install Cinnamon stuff via the website from now on until the new features arrive in Cinnamon.

If you update anything (you'll have to soon!) installed with this PPA - it's a good idea to delete it first from your system.

EXAMPLE

You want the newest coverflow extension - open Synaptic and uninstall the coverflow extension package ("cinnamon-extension-coverflow-alttab"), then download it via the Cinnamon Spices website and install it again manually.

--
Introducing Cinnamon Extras, a PPA for Cinnamon themes, applets and extensions. The PPA is so you no longer have to download, extract and move folders around every time there is a new version of your theme/applet/extension, Cinnamon Extras takes care of that.

Currently in the PPA (click on package names to see their cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com profile):

Applets
cinnamon-applet-allinoneplaces
cinnamon-applet-betterplaces
cinnamon-applet-bettersettings
cinnamon-applet-capsnumlock
cinnamon-applet-classicmenu
cinnamon-applet-cpufreq
cinnamon-applet-forcequit
cinnamon-applet-gnomemenuapps
cinnamon-applet-gnomemenuplaces
cinnamon-applet-gnomemenusystem
cinnamon-applet-gpaste
cinnamon-applet-hwmonitor
cinnamon-applet-informativesound
cinnamon-applet-internetsearchbox
cinnamon-applet-lockscreen
cinnamon-applet-messagingmenu
cinnamon-applet-places
cinnamon-applet-quit
cinnamon-applet-restartcinnamon
cinnamon-applet-search
cinnamon-applet-screensaverinhibit
cinnamon-applet-screenshot
cinnamon-applet-screenshotandrecording
cinnamon-applet-separator
cinnamon-applet-shutdown
cinnamon-applet-simplermenu
cinnamon-applet-usermenu
cinnamon-applet-touchpadindicator
cinnamon-applet-utilitiesmenu
cinnamon-applet-win7menu
cinnamon-applet-windowiconlist
cinnamon-applet-windowlistpreview
Note: The Weather applet is a bit too complicated for this PPA rookie to package but mockturtl may create a separate PPA for it.

Extensions
cinnamon-extension-2bottompanels
cinnamon-extension-cinnadock
cinnamon-extension-coverflow-alttab

Themes (all added themes have Cinnamon 1.4 support)
cinnamon-theme-ambiance-elementary
cinnamon-theme-ambiance-mint
cinnamon-theme-ambiance-ubuntu
cinnamon-theme-android-ics
cinnamon-theme-baldr
cinnamon-theme-cinnamon-classic
cinnamon-theme-dark-glass
cinnamon-theme-eleganse
cinnamon-theme-elementaryos
cinnamon-theme-glass-shell
cinnamon-theme-gnome
cinnamon-theme-google+
cinnamon-theme-holo
cinnamon-theme-holo-edited
cinnamon-theme-holo-green
cinnamon-theme-loki
cinnamon-theme-nightlife-flax
cinnamon-theme-nightlife-graphite
cinnamon-theme-nightlife-honey
cinnamon-theme-nightlife-human
cinnamon-theme-nightlife-mint
cinnamon-theme-nightlife-rubine
cinnamon-theme-nightlife-violette
cinnamon-theme-nocturnal
cinnamon-theme-odin
cinnamon-theme-omg
cinnamon-theme-void
cinnamon-theme-white
cinnamon-theme-zukitwo
Note: Minty and Minty colours have their own PPA therefore not included in this, click the links for instructions.

How to add the PPA in Mint 12-13/Ubuntu 11.10-12.04

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bimsebasse/cinnamonextras
sudo apt-get update
... in LMDE

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bimsebasse/cinnamonextras/ubuntu oneiric main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bimsebasse-cinnamonextras.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bimsebasse/cinnamonextras/ubuntu oneiric main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bimsebasse-cinnamonextras.list
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 4FA9719D
sudo apt-get update
Packages can be installed from Mint/Ubuntu software managers but I recommend doing it from terminal instead as e.g. a synaptic install doesn't trigger included cleanup scripts.

If you're a theme/applet/extension maker and want your work included, please pm me - also if I have added your work and you don't want it to be!

Thanks to Webupd8 Andrew and my favourite uruguayan esteban1uy with the help setting up the PPA.
Last edited by bimsebasse on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:50 am, edited 38 times in total.
nomko

Re: New Cinnamon Extras PPA

Post by nomko »

I'll try it out! Doesn't matter my system will be destroyed. Just wipe my disc and re-install Mint and keep a Lesson's Learned in the back of my mind :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

It's not really a risky PPA, it just contains Cinnamon add-ons and they have all been tested before and after being added (not to see if they break stuff but to see if they work). It doesn't contain Cinnamon itself or interfere with system files.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

stickied

Bim, a very interesting project :wink:
Mint had (long time ago) a community repo, maybe this (although it's not only mint-specific) can be the beginning of something similar.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

That's a good idea, 00, I wouldn't mind maintaining a general Mint community PPA.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

bimsebasse wrote:That's a good idea, 00, I wouldn't mind maintaining a general Mint community PPA.

In that case it would be interesting to create a Team PPA: https://help.launchpad.net/Teams/CreatingAndRunning
For the coders it would be easier to upload/mantain their packages, and users would only have to add a single line to their sources.list.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Didn't even know you could do that! That would be the way for a community PPA yes,

Oh and thansk for the help setting up the PPA esteban :D
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Excellent bim! Thank you! :wink:
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I am getting the 404 Sources not found message in my updates.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Robin,
can you try again? i see all the pkgs rebuilt in the last 25 min to 1hr, so i assume bim was doing some maintenance in the ppa
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

zerozero wrote:Robin,
can you try again? i see all the pkgs rebuilt in the last 25 min to 1hr, so i assume bim was doing some maintenance in the ppa

Ok! Thanks! I'll post back if I have issues :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

No sorry I had to recreate the PPA because I lost my pgp key during a system re-install. so uncheck the old PPA in software sources and add again as per the first post. The packages are the same and changing repo won't have any impact on those (unless you purge the old repo instead of just deleting it).

So, this one must die: ppa:bimsebasse/cinnamon-extras

This one will live: ppa:bimsebasse/cinnamonextras
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Btw I added the excellent coverflow extension (sudo apt-get install cinnamon-extension-coverflow-alttab) and will add the Places and Weather applets next.
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

Umm, great idea, but where are the applets? I'm sorry but I don't see more than two of them! Window Icon list def is my fav...
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Coming this weekend - I quickly found it would be best to include scripts that delete old installs in the packages, so I'm getting that sorted first and then I start mass-adding applets, it takes about 2 and a half minute for me now per applet so it's not a lot of work.

Should be sorted this weekend.
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

bimsebasse wrote:Coming this weekend - I quickly found it would be best to include scripts that delete old installs in the packages, so I'm getting that sorted first and then I start mass-adding applets, it takes about 2 and a half minute for me now per applet so it's not a lot of work.

Should be sorted this weekend.
Thanks!
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Thanks a lot :)

Rehdon
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Update: The last hurdle has now been overcome and I will start mass-adding applets now :D

Already added one that deserves a little showcasing, the Classic Menu applet:

It attempts to recreate the classic Mint Menu in Cinnamon with a similar layout and hopefully similar functionality down the road. Install it from the PPA with this command:

sudo apt-get install cinnamon-applet-classicmenu
esteban1uy

Re: New Cinnamon Extras PPA (updated April 8)

Post by esteban1uy »

Beautiful!
Thank you Bim and dalcde for such a wonderful applet.
bimsebasse

Re: New Cinnamon Extras PPA (updated April 8)

Post by bimsebasse »

Brilliant avatar :D

Return to “Cinnamon”