[SOLVED] impossible to logout and to switch betweer users

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FDF

[SOLVED] impossible to logout and to switch betweer users

Post by FDF »

Hi,

I use LMDE, updated to the pack 4.
I have two users. One with admin level created on the instal, and another created after the instal.
With this second user, it is impossible to logout. The logout option is available, it makes appear a message-box claiming it will logout within 60 seconds and asking to confirm or cancel. But either I confirm for immediate log out or wait for the 60 second, the only things done is the closing of the message-box.
Before the update to pack 4, I was using CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to logout. Not very clean, but efficient. Moreover, I was able to switch from user even not logged out.
But now, I am stucked. I can't logout, CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE doesn't work anymore, and I can't switch to other users. :(

Has anyone an idea to solve that? To get back the switch user option and to be able to logout?

I have tried several things already. I haven't seen anything is the logs
I can shut down the computer by typing halt command in a terminal.

Thanks for your help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: impossible to logout

Post by zerozero »

But now, I am stucked. I can't logout, CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE doesn't work anymore, and I can't switch to other users. :(
have you checked in system settings > keyboard > shortcuts > system if the logout combo is active?
FDF

Post by FDF »

This short cut open the same message box, with the same unsuccessful result. I guess the problem is in the logout procedure.

However, the "Kill X" is not in this shortcut list. Is it normal?

Thanks for your help.
FDF

Re: impossible to logout and to switch between users.

Post by FDF »

The CTRL ALT BACKSPACE works again, but I don't know why.

But still can't find the switch to another user… neither able to logout normally.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Best regards
Last edited by FDF on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

that one you have to thank Clem :D
debian-system-adjustments (2012.04.7) debian; urgency=low

* Added mate-help
* Added ctrl_alt_backspace shortcut
esteban1uy

Re: impossible to logout and to switch betweer users

Post by esteban1uy »

Could you please provide the output to the following commands while logged as the problematic user:

Code: Select all

gnome-session-quit --logout
And this:

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.Logout uint32:0
FDF

Post by FDF »

Thanks for your help

we should always launch the order in console to see…

FDF@desktop:~$ gnome-session-quit --logout
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
For the second part, It is not clear to me, but here is the result:

FDF@desktop:~$ dbus-send --session --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.Logout uint32:0
method return sender=:1.1 -> dest=:1.561 reply_serial=2
I hope it means something for you. I will try to sniff around about "canberra-gtk-module"

Thanks
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Ok, first command shows a problem, second not.
But the most important part is what happens once you execute them. Do they start the close session prompt? If so, what happens when you click the end session button?
Can you provide the terminal output (if any) once they fail to do what they're supposed to do?

Let's start with the first problem. Please execute the following command (at a terminal, of course):

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk3-module
Restart and then try to close session the usual way and also with the commands you've already tried.
FDF

Post by FDF »

Hi,

I installed libcanberra-gtk3-module and reboot, then try again your commands.

There are no real change. The "gnome-session-quit --logout" open the message box appears, but nothing more happen when clicking OK. The box close and nothing happen. By the way, the prompt of the terminal is back almost imediatly, even before I can click on any button of the box. So sure I won't see the result in the terminal.

as for the second one, same as above, the message box appears, the prompt is back in the terminal, then clicking OK just close the box… The little change in the result doesn't seems significant to me, but may be my mistake, so I post it below.

FDF@desktop:~$ dbus-send --session --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.Logout uint32:0
method return sender=:1.0 -> dest=:1.129 reply_serial=2
Thanks again for your help.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Did you try to create another user and see if it shows the same problem?

If the newly created user account logs out properly, then you can grab all the important files from the problematic user to the new /home/personal_folder, take property and forget the rest.
FDF

Post by FDF »

Hi,

This solution has worked.

There is only the Switch between user to solve. But that's a Cinnamon issue, as when logged with Gnome 3, the option is available and works.

Thanks for your help
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

To switch users, a lot of people use "Lock Screen" and then "Switch User".
Give it a try.
FDF

Post by FDF »

Hi,

The strange things is the lock button doesn't work on my computer. It makes nothing, even not open a message box. I quess that's why I haven't seen the switch option in. I will try to find it back, probably an old option somewhere… I have to say the current setting tools are not really user friendly, with options spread in many menus…

Best regards
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Which screensaver are you using?
If you have removed gnome-screensaver then the "lock screen" button won't work. If you have xscreensaver installed you can also use it to switch users just starting it in "screen lock" mode with a trick (xscreensaver-command --lock && xscreensaver-command --deactivate) and then use its "new login" button. To configure xscreensaver to use the "lock screen" button, read here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1865593
FDF

Post by FDF »

you were right.

The problems are solved.

Thanks
pulf

Re: [SOLVED] impossible to logout and to switch betweer user

Post by pulf »

I had the same problem with "Lock Screen" didn't work, but before I read about it here, I found another way to change user/lock the screen.
Right click on "Menu", Edit Menu, then in some suitable place, for me it was in "Systemtools", there is so you can click and make a new object. Name it as you like, but the command is "gdmflexiserver". In the Menu you can right click it and put it to Favorites or in panel or desktop.
esteban1uy

Re: [SOLVED] impossible to logout and to switch betweer user

Post by esteban1uy »

pulf wrote:I had the same problem with "Lock Screen" didn't work, but before I read about it here, I found another way to change user/lock the screen.
Right click on "Menu", Edit Menu, then in some suitable place, for me it was in "Systemtools", there is so you can click and make a new object. Name it as you like, but the command is "gdmflexiserver". In the Menu you can right click it and put it to Favorites or in panel or desktop.
It's better to use the command:

dm-tool switch-to-greeter
The command "gdmflexiserver" was implemented for the transition from GDM to LightDM session managers and now it's deprecated in Ubuntu 12.04 and its derivatives (but it still works under debian): http://askubuntu.com/questions/111116/h ... mmand-line

If you want to add a "Switch users" button to Cinnamon+Classic Menu Applet you can try this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p566415

Return to “Cinnamon”