LMDE 201204 GRUB - MULTIPLE DISTROS

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kveidem

LMDE 201204 GRUB - MULTIPLE DISTROS

Post by kveidem »

I had Ubuntu installed on my entire HD. Gparted was used to shrink my home to make room for LMDE. I created partition for / and /home, leaving swap because I already had one. During install I selected to install GRUB to /sda

When I boot I get Grub showing Linux Mint (LMDE), but booting LMDE fails. I have data not backed up in my Ubuntu /home. I need to set the new Grub to boot Ubuntu so I can do my backup before trying more stuff.

From gparted (sda8 and sda9 is the new ones after shrinking sda7)
/dev/sda1 ext4 20 GB Flags: boot
/dev/sda2 extended 912 GB
dev/sda5 ext4 20 GB
dev/sda6 linux-swap 4 GB
dev/sda7 ext4 585 GB
dev/sda8 ext4 20 GB
dev/sda9 ext4 285 GB

I want to boot back in to Ubuntu for backup purposes. Right now I can only boot my computer using LMDE on USB-stick.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: LMDE 201204 GRUB - MULTIPLE DISTROS

Post by zerozero »

but booting LMDE fails
but do you get a grub error (and which one?) or a X error?
kveidem

Re: LMDE 201204 GRUB - MULTIPLE DISTROS

Post by kveidem »

Problem has been solved:

1) I reinstalled LMDE and this time i selected to install a new GRUB in the LMDE partition. That way Ubuntu magically popped up in Grub.
2) I had to perform first boot into LMDE with VGA cable connected to my monitor instead of HDMI

I have full access to my Ubuntu-partitions from LMDE/Thunar. It's time for BACKUP now.

I may have to go with Xubuntu instead of LMDE because of Blender. All recent, updated builds of Blender with Cycles/CUDA at graphicall.org is based on Ubuntu/Fedora, and I really need to stay with the bleeding-edge versions of Blender. I am not going to do my own builds - too complicated for me.

I love the crisp feel of LMDE and XFCE, and compared to Ubuntu 12.04 I get way better performance with glxgears. Was hoping to do some testing with rendering in Blender to check performance, but I cannot find any builds for Debian/LMDE that will recognize my nVidia 560GTX for use with the Cycles render engine in Blender. I have tried with builds from graphicall.org marked with "Debian testing / Cycles / CUDA" but no luck. My card is not recognized by these Blender-builds.

Installing LMDE on my box also required some boot options like "noapic nolapic acpi=off". I don't know which one of these did the trick.

Info on running bleeding edge Blender with Cycles/CUDA on LMDE would be nice...

Return to “LMDE Archive”