What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What music player do you want as default for Linux Mint 5.0

AmaroK
22%
Songbird
7%
Banshee
9%
Exaile
23%
Rhythmbox
17%
Other
22%

Total votes: 239

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Post by Zwopper »

subslug wrote: We have to stick with Firefox though, isn't that a Linux rule or something? :lol: It always beats me down when I do a Kubuntu install and realize they didn't bother to add Firefox....I mean Konqueror is fine but come on. Where's the love.
Opera is great alternative though, but that ought to be a new thread! :lol:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

BTW!
I also change my voice from Banshee to Rhythmbox!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
CyberCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CyberCat »

My vote is definitely for Rhythmbox. My reasoning is: 1) it's already a standard part of GNOME making it have a consistent look and feel with the rest of the desktop. 2) it's extremely "n00b" friendly, both for people new to computers and people coming from other media players such as iTunes. 3) open source, using GStreamer. 4) uses a lot less space than AmaroK

As for AmaroK, I would say it uses too much space, it's slower in my experience, and it certainly looks out of place running in GNOME. I really don't care for the Songbird UI, too much clutter and too dark in my opinion, also nonstandard UI feels out of place. Remember, for new users GUI consistency is VERY important! Banshee uses Mono so forget that. Exaile looks pretty good and over all is my second favorite, I still prefer the more GNOMEy feel of Rhythmbox though.

I totally agree with everything molom said EXCEPT for Flock, I think we should really keep Firefox and/or Opera (see below) besides flock is basically Firefox anyway.

I haven't used Deluge but it looks like a superb bittorrent client which I think is an essential component of any distro (which Mint is lacking currently).

Miro looks awesome too, I think Mint would really benefit from having an app like this included standard.

Brasero, yes! It's already a standard GNOME component and newbie friendly, we REALLY need a good CD/DVD burning app!

Somebody needs to start a new thread discussing this further.
Opera is great alternative though, but that ought to be a new thread!
Yeah, I personally prefer Opera to Firefox (although I like Firefox a lot as well :D) it's great lightweight, but well featured browser. I'd definitely like to see some discussion on this.
molom

Post by molom »

CyberCat wrote:My vote is definitely for Rhythmbox. My reasoning is: 1) it's already a standard part of GNOME making it have a consistent look and feel with the rest of the desktop. 2) it's extremely "n00b" friendly, both for people new to computers and people coming from other media players such as iTunes. 3) open source, using GStreamer. 4) uses a lot less space than AmaroK

As for AmaroK, I would say it uses too much space, it's slower in my experience, and it certainly looks out of place running in GNOME. I really don't care for the Songbird UI, too much clutter and too dark in my opinion, also nonstandard UI feels out of place. Remember, for new users GUI consistency is VERY important! Banshee uses Mono so forget that. Exaile looks pretty good and over all is my second favorite, I still prefer the more GNOMEy feel of Rhythmbox though.

I totally agree with everything molom said EXCEPT for Flock, I think we should really keep Firefox and/or Opera (see below) besides flock is basically Firefox anyway.

I haven't used Deluge but it looks like a superb bittorrent client which I think is an essential component of any distro (which Mint is lacking currently).

Miro looks awesome too, I think Mint would really benefit from having an app like this included standard.

Brasero, yes! It's already a standard GNOME component and newbie friendly, we REALLY need a good CD/DVD burning app!

Somebody needs to start a new thread discussing this further.
Opera is great alternative though, but that ought to be a new thread!
Yeah, I personally prefer Opera to Firefox (although I like Firefox a lot as well :D) it's great lightweight, but well featured browser. I'd definitely like to see some discussion on this.
If you want to make a topic somewhere else, I will appreciate it. I will help you out as well. At the moment I'm busy because I 'm helping a lot with the Mint E17 project, which is coming out SOON!!!

Cheers,
molom
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I voted other, since I haven't been happy with any of the players listed. I think that amarok and exaile are great programs, but they are too large and possibly too feature rich for my taste. If amarok had a better mode setting where you could view your playlist similar in size to that of XMMS, then I would lean in that direction. Also, amarok isn't always so stable in gnome. Otherwise without these issues I think It's a toss up between exaile and amarok. I still need to try out the progs others listed that aren't on the vote.
free jazz

Post by free jazz »

No mention of VLC? I'm deffo in the "newb" category and still felt comfortable enough with it.
Too heavy perhaps?
I played a few .wav clips I made for event sounds in the default and various other players and they tended to end with a loud cut noise ... but not with VLC, and not when used as actual system event sounds.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

CyberCat wrote:Yeah, I personally prefer Opera to Firefox (although I like Firefox a lot as well :D) it's great lightweight, but well featured browser. I'd definitely like to see some discussion on this.
Are you talking about Opera (which is also my favourite browser) or about the softwares selection (which I also agree with. I'd add Pan though) ? :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”