Change Mate to Cinnamon on LMDE (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Change Mate to Cinnamon on LMDE (SOLVED)

Post by Meteor »

I have just downloaded the RC candidate for LMDE Mate/Cinnamon. The LiveDVD runs fine with Mate. How do I find the Cinnamon version so I can see it and how it works? I've tried the upper left corner of my screen, the upper right and both lower corners but get nothing. I've right-clicked the desktop but the menu doesn't offer a change of desktops. I haven't spotted anything in the Mate menus that would enable me to do this.

How can I view the Cinnamon desktop? Do I need to install the RC to do this? Am I not looking in the right place? I tried various forums searching for "change Mate to Cinnamon on LiveDVD" receiving many responses except what I am looking for?

What am I doing or not doing to make this desktop change?

A very puzzled,
Meteor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
squeezy

Re: Change Mate to Cinnamon on LMDE

Post by squeezy »

On the login screen after you hit Enter to expand to the password field, you'll see a line under the password field that says something like "Default Session". Click on that to see the option to choose which session to start. Cinnamon should be listed there along with MATE. MATE is the default session you get if you do nothing.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Meteor »

Thank you, Squeezy. Obviously, I must install LMDE to enjoy/experience Cinnamon. I still have the LiveDVD running. If I was asked to sign in when I first booted the LiveDVD about 12 hours ago, I don't recall. Memory cells have a tendency to let things fade as one ages, eh... :(

I'll start the LiveDVD again in the morning and see if I'm asked to log in. If so, will follow your instructions. If not, I'll install and enjoy the "full" experience of LMDE. Now, where's my GParted manual... :?

Meteor
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Oh yeah, I brain-faded on the LiveDVD bit. The LiveDVD has auto login enabled, it just boots into the desktop.
cxexa

Post by cxexa »

You can change the session to Cinnamon on the Live DVD, without installing. While booted into and running the Live DVD, you'll need to log out. At the log in screen choose "other". Select Cinnamon, instead of System Default, for the session and enter mint for the username. Hit the Login button.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Change Mate to Cinnamon on LMDE (SOLVED)

Post by Meteor »

Thank you cxexa, your suggestion worked wonderfully. Now I'm working with Cinnamon on the LiveDVD with ease and it's looking good. I'm not sure if I will install the "RC" version or just wait until the final version is released. Time to flip a coin...

Meteor

Return to “LMDE Archive”