Mint-Xtra - updated icon theme for Mint

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

Mint-Xtra - updated icon theme for Mint

Post by bimsebasse »

Mint-X:

Mint-Xtra:

Mint-X:

Mint-Xtra:

Mint-X

Mint-Xtra

Mint-X

Mint-Xtra

Mint-X:

Mint-Xtra

You get the idea!

Mint's icon theme Mint-X was created from two other icon themes, Elementary (folders and devices) and Faenza (applications and everything else). Since Mint-X was put together for Mint 10 more than a year ago Faenza has been steadily updated with dozens of icons added or remade and Mint-X has not benefited from these updates. Mint-Xtra is simply Mint-X brought up to date, plus a bit of cleaning up and added icons for Mint programs (mintnanny, mintupload, mintbackup, mintinstall and mintupdate) which currently sport their own conspicuously out-of-place icons. The panel icons are now symbolic and follow the panel colour scheme, so Mint-Xtra works for both light and dark panels.

New icons include:
amazon-mp3-store
amsn
anjuta
boxee
braid
clementine
desura
devede
gajim
glippy
gnome-contacts
gnome-documents
gnucash
gnumeric
google-music-frame
google-plus
guake
homebank
k3b
kupfer
meld
remmina
steam
stellarium
supertux
synapse
terminator
ubuntu one
vim
xbmc
If anyone wants to try it out, please report any bug or quirk in here so I can fix it! Also, tthe Mint apps icons could do with a more professional touch so if there's an inkscape geek out there with ideas for improvements I'm all ears :D

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?fwadlhzltobaf2z
Installation: extract the downloaded tar.gz and move the Mint-Xtra folder into usr/share/icons/ as shown
Select it with Advanced Settings under the Theme tab.

P.S: I hope the name is not a problem - I intend to propose a merge with mint-x after a period of testing (if there isn't a brand new icon theme for Mint in the works for Mint 13).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Mint-Xtra - updated icon theme for Mint

Post by richyrich »

tyvm , richy
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Thanks, nice job.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

You're welcome :)
M4570D0N

Post by M4570D0N »

Just wanted to add that in the gnome-shell group on DeviantART, there's some additional Faenza icon variations that are pretty nice:

Variations 2:
http://gnome-shell.deviantart.com/galle ... 4#/d3egmfu
Variations 3:
http://gnome-shell.deviantart.com/galle ... 4#/d4bp25k

Another good one is Faenza Fresh:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=141003

(looks like a few of the icons in the OP may have come from Faenza Fresh)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yes, the Firefox, Nautilus and Comix icons are from Faenza Fresh, maybe a few more I've forgotten. The VLC icon (54 times better than the poor excuse of an icon it replaced) is from the new Faience set, just un-faienced so it looks like a Faenza icon.

The variations sets are nice but are too different to fit in with standard Faenza icons.
torsades

Post by torsades »

Awesome. Been dying to replace those ugly low-res icons. But your mediafire download link doesn't seem to work for me. The page just keeps reloading and reloading repetedly...

A side question, how can I pick and choose individual icons from several themes? I can never seem to find one that displays every icon in my system with a consistent appearance. Faenza comes the closest
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Download link is still working, just downloaded it - must be a browser issue :(
A side question, how can I pick and choose individual icons from several themes? I can never seem to find one that displays every icon in my system with a consistent appearance. Faenza comes the closest
You'll have to edit the theme subfolders (replace icons, add icons) for that, it's a bit confusing in the beginning but only in the beginning.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Just installed this icon set with Cinnamon, and I'm getting a whole bunch of plain gray icons when viewing directories in Nautilus and Marlin.

http://i.imgur.com/LLjUY.png

Switching to an icon set that was pre-installed, say, Mint-X fixes this. Any ideas how I can straighten out the icons for directories in Nautilus/Marlin? I guess they're the "Places" ones. They were installed in /usr/share/icons
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Make sure they are placed like you can see in the bottom nautilus window
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Aha! Thank you! I had overlooked that earlier and had /usr/share/icons/Mint-Xtra/Mint-Xtra/ and then all the actual icons in there. I'm not sure how it happened. Many thanks!
sandman_uz

Post by sandman_uz »

bimsebasse,
just want to say THANK YOU for great work! I tried Awoken, but return to Mint-Xtra ) clean and comfort )

and question - do you plan to update this set for some time? maybe you made some updates in this theme for yourself?

thanks!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

My shady ulterior motive is to have this merged with Mint-X for Mint 13 or 14, I just gotta present it on the mint-x github page and take it from there.

It hasn't been updated since posted but I'm keeping an eye on the Elementary icon set which is in the process of being updated right now for the upcoming ElementaryOS Luna, and also the progress of Faience from which I take improved icons and "faenzafy" them (e.g. the VLC icon in Mint-Xtra is a Faience icon faenzafied).
ibiris

Post by ibiris »

I have installed this icon theme and for the most part it works as expected

If I wanted to use the white tray icons though (volume, wireless etc), as seen in the screenshot of all the icons, do I have to manually tell the theme to use those icons? Currently my panel is a dark grey colour, so I can still see the system tray icons, but I would like to try the white ones to see how they look. Obviously the theme doesn't know what colour i'm gonna change the panel to, so i'd like to do it manually somehow.

Tweaking the theme is my current little learning project for Linux. :)

I'm using Mint 11 LXDE with lxpanel.
Thanks!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

The theme actually does know :D

The standard panel icons in all the major Linux icon sets are today symbolic, i.e. they don't have a "fixed" colour but change colour depending on your panel's colour scheme, they're "intelligent" instead of static.
ibiris

Post by ibiris »

bimsebasse wrote:The theme actually does know :D

The standard panel icons in all the major Linux icon sets are today symbolic, i.e. they don't have a "fixed" colour but change colour depending on your panel's colour scheme, they're "intelligent" instead of static.
Oh haha, I'll have a play around after work and see what I can do. Maybe my panel isn't quite dark enough at the moment to make the icons change to a much lighter shade. Will try black and see what happens :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I have no experience with LXDE so I can't be of much help there but in Gnome what the icons follow first is panel text color, so e.g. if you have red text color on a black panel you get red icons (in Gnome).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@bim,
about time to tell u many tks for this icon theme :) it's gorgeous and i've been using it across a few installs :wink:
sam_w

Post by sam_w »

Thanks a lot, the icons look brilliant! Much better than the standard ones :)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I love the icons, although the mint tools don't seem to have new icons (I might have to reboot). If it makes any difference, I'm running LMDE.

Return to “Your Artwork”