Linuxmint 13 release date?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
selittl

Post by selittl »

What is the proposed date for LM 13? Just awonderin'.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
veggen

Re: Linuxmint 13 release date?

Post by veggen »

Being just another user I, of course, have no hard info, but Mint usually arrives about a month after Ubuntu.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

My educated guess is an RC around the 10th to 15th of May and a release from the 20th to the 25th. Mint doesn't give release dates, they subscribe to the "it's ready when it's ready" philosophy.
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

selittl wrote:What is the proposed date for LM 13? Just awonderin'.

I think it will be best for them to set a fixed release date for Linux Mint, just like Ubuntu does. Not necessary every six months, but at least to enable people to know when to look for a new release instead of hoping and checking back daily...
Other than that, Ubuntu sucks big time, ever since they decided to use that piece of crap Unity Desktop in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal).
I hate the Linux community for releasing Gnome 3 without first making sure that all the nice features of Gnome 2 can be kept exactly as they were. That is why I still use Mint 9, 10 and 11 and never cared for Mint 12 or Ubuntu ever since.
Why is it that nobody can yet figure out a way to entirely duplicate all the goodies that we came to love in Gnome 2 (fully user configurable features like Panels, 3D Cairo Dock, 3D rotating cube and all that other good stuff). That was awesome, and convinced me to completely dump Window$ in favor of Linux Mint.
Just look at this beautiful, easy to use desktop environment I created

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... onitor.png
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 01, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: font size fixed
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...
phishsauce

Post by phishsauce »

Doruletz wrote:
selittl wrote:What is the proposed date for LM 13? Just awonderin'.

I think it will be best for them to set a fixed release date for Linux Mint, just like Ubuntu does. Not necessary every six months, but at least to enable people to know when to look for a new release instead of hoping and checking back daily...
Other than that, Ubuntu sucks big time, ever since they decided to use that piece of crap Unity Desktop in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal).
I hate the Linux community for releasing Gnome 3 without first making sure that all the nice features of Gnome 2 can be kept exactly as they were. That is why I still use Mint 9, 10 and 11 and never cared for Mint 12 or Ubuntu ever since.
Why is it that nobody can yet figure out a way to entirely duplicate all the goodies that we came to love in Gnome 2 (fully user configurable features like Panels, 3D Cairo Dock, 3D rotating cube and all that other good stuff). That was awesome, and convinced me to completely dump Window$ in favor of Linux Mint.
Just look at this beautiful, easy to use desktop environment I created

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... onitor.png
what do you mean!? Users who check back daily are good for CPM / CPC which is good for mint!
peterRepeater

Post by peterRepeater »

Going for the minimalistic look? Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. ;)

If you wish to retrofit your desktop utilities and plugins to which you've become accustomed into Gnome3, all of the source code is available for you to tweak at your leisure; and you can always release your tweaks to the open source community so those with a similar outlook can benefit.

Onto the question in hand:

Ubuntu 11.10 released on October 13th 2011. Linux Mint 12 released November 26th 2011. This is just over 6 weeks' lead time, so given that we saw Ubuntu 12.04 LTS released April 26th, I would expect Linux Mint 13 to be released sometime in the beginning of June.
Halzen

Post by Halzen »

Sweet fancy Moses, my eyes are bleeding.
selittl

Post by selittl »

Halzen wrote:
and mine ;-)

I rather like gnome 3. I know I'm in the minority, but it seems to work well and is actually a different paradigm than windows or osx-'bout time for that!
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

peterRepeater wrote: Onto the question in hand:

Ubuntu 11.10 released on October 13th 2011. Linux Mint 12 released November 26th 2011. This is just over 6 weeks' lead time, so given that we saw Ubuntu 12.04 LTS released April 26th, I would expect Linux Mint 13 to be released sometime in the beginning of June.
To give some background:
Ubuntu 10.04 was released on April 29th, 2010, LM 9 was released May 18th, so about 3 weeks
Ubuntu 10.10 was released on October 10th, 2010, LM 10 was released November 12th, so almost 5 weeks
Ubuntu 11.04 was released on April 28th, 2011, LM 11 was released May 26th, 2011, so 4 weeks
Ubuntu 11.10 was released on October 13th, 2011, LM 12 was released November 26th, 2011, so about 6 weeks (like you said)
I have a few observations from this:
1. The May mint releases take less time than the November ones, with an average of 3 1/2 weeks versus an average of about 5 1/2 weeks.
2. On average, it takes about 4 1/2 weeks for a release.
3. Most Mint releases were in the month after Ubuntu. Here are the two that weren't (not including Mint 1.0, 2.x, and 3.x where x>0):
Linux Mint 5 Elyssa was released on June 8th
Linux Mint 6 Felicia was released on December 15th
Note that wikipedia has the release date wrong for Mint 4.0, they're a month off (they say that it was released before Ubuntu 7.10 which it's based on).
4. 4 1/2 weeks after April 26th would be somewhere between the 27th and 28th of May.
5. 3 1/2 weeks after April 26th would be somewhere between the 20th and 21st of May.
6. The release date probably depends more on what the mint team is going to do and how long that is going to take. For example, for Mint 12, they had to build MGSE, which could have delayed the release.
7. Linux Mint 12's release date was delayed by (IIRC) 5 or 6 days because of a bug with MATE, and they had to re-upload the final ISO because of it. MATE in general could have made the release take longer, which is evidenced by it almost not being ready for the Mint 12 RC.
8. It's kind of pointless to try to find an exact release date, just a general, in about a month.
veggen

Post by veggen »

Doruletz wrote:I think it will be best for them to set a fixed release date for Linux Mint, just like Ubuntu does.
And then release half-broken stuff because they couldn't meet the artificial deadline? No. They're doing their thing very well, let them continue their own way.
Doruletz wrote:Just look at this beautiful, easy to use desktop environment I created
That my friend... is an eyesore...

P.S.
Do not write in large letters. It's shouting and it's not polite.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

selittl wrote:
Halzen wrote:
and mine ;-)

I rather like gnome 3. I know I'm in the minority, but it seems to work well and is actually a different paradigm than windows or osx-'bout time for that!
While I personally agree, it shows that in linux (and gnome 2) you could make anything in pretty much any way to your hearts content.
Matti L

Post by Matti L »

Doruletz wrote:Why is it that nobody can yet figure out a way to entirely duplicate all the goodies that we came to love in Gnome 2 (fully user configurable features like Panels, 3D Cairo Dock, 3D rotating cube and all that other good stuff). That was awesome, and convinced me to completely dump Window$ in favor of Linux Mint.
Isn't that what MATE is all about?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Matti L wrote:
Doruletz wrote:Why is it that nobody can yet figure out a way to entirely duplicate all the goodies that we came to love in Gnome 2 (fully user configurable features like Panels, 3D Cairo Dock, 3D rotating cube and all that other good stuff). That was awesome, and convinced me to completely dump Window$ in favor of Linux Mint.
Isn't that what MATE is all about?
IMO, yes. Compiz still has some glitches with MATE, but, otherwise, yes. Some users (I don't know why) want gnome 2, not a renamed gnome 2, and they refuse to use MATE. Again, I don't know why.
Goro Daimon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Goro Daimon »

Choose a japanese girl name like Aika or Sakura.

XFCE 4.10 like latest Fedora

Gnome fork.

Trinity Desktop environment for old pcs. But put in 64 Bits version too

suggestion: All in one mint like Debian DVD all Arch.

SIZE? 4,4 GB like Mangaka linux

Please put Sakura name in this Mint. I like Street Fighter and I like Japanese name :)

Long live to mint and Ubuntu!
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Goro Daimon wrote:Choose a japanese girl name like Aika or Sakura.

XFCE 4.10 like latest Fedora

Gnome fork.

Trinity Desktop environment for old pcs. But put in 64 Bits version too

suggestion: All in one mint like Debian DVD all Arch.

SIZE? 4,4 GB like Mangaka linux

Please put Sakura name in this Mint. I like Street Fighter and I like Japanese name :)

Long live to mint and Ubuntu!
The Xfce version is based on Debian (although who knows, they might release a Mint Xfce one), and it most likely won't have Xfce 4.10 for a long time because it has to go through experimental and sid, and, by then, testing will have frozen (within a certain amount of time of the next release, testing stops importing things from sid).

There are two gnome forks, Cinnamon (a fork of gnome shell) and MATE (a fork of Gnome 3). Which one do you mean?

I don't think that they're going to have a trinity version.

Clem has said he won't do a DVD with all of the desktop environments on it.

The name is Maya.

And this isn't really on topic (the subject is the release date for linux mint).
florus

Post by florus »

I agree that a fixed date is unnecessary, but I think most people would like some information on progress, what decisions have been taken, and a rough timetable. I accept that the great and the good are too busy at this stage to bother with the forums, but surely someone should be able to relay information and keep feeding the feeling of anticipation.
Matti L

Post by Matti L »

Something like this would be nice:
http://tasktaste.com/projects/Enselic/gimp-2-8

Or just a percentage somewhere.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here as this thread has wandered away from the OP
henrydubb

Post by henrydubb »

While I have been looking for information lately on M13, I definitely prefer the Mint way over Ubuntu. The release when ready is much preferable to the we'll fix it in the next release.

One thing to keep in mind, this LTS will be a five yearer (assuming they stay consistent to Ubuntu release cycle) so its important to get it right.

What I'd like to know if if I will see M13 or Google Drive 4 Linux first. My money is on M13.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

I'm hoping that Mint 13 comes out soon, personally. Best operating system and Linux distro I have ever used! I am, however, wondering if the release of Mint 13 will come with Cinnamon 1.5, or if it'll be 1.4 still. Because I don't think 1.4 is quite stable enough for Mint 13, although I do use it in 12 daily.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”