menu items dont launch solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

menu items dont launch solved

Post by goldstar1 »

some of my menu items do not launch.

I wanted to experience kde4 and installed it according to this thread 'http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php'

after updates and stuff, some of the KDE programs don't launch in the Gnome menu. I can launch them from the /usr/bin directory but not the Gnome menu. Why, I can even reboot into the KDE desktop and launch them from the KDE menu, but not in the Gnome menu.

I also wanted to try the new mint desktop, but removed it for some reason, maybe that is what changed my Gnome menu so KDE applications don't launch.

Anyway, where is the Gnome menu configuration file so that I can redirect where the bin file is located so that KDE programs can open from the Gnome menu? I am not looking for the GUI inside the menu itself, I'm looking to open something up and make changes from there.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: menu items dont launch

Post by Husse »

If I understand you right you want to open apps installed with KDE4 to open from Gnome menu...
Why - they are not part of gnome and not installed under gnome. The normal menu in Mint gnome is mintMenu, not gnome menu...
But it should be possible to create menu items for them manually...
Or am I missing something?
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED: menu items dont launch

Post by goldstar1 »

something about KDE4 works alongside Gnome and was supposed to be installed in the /opt directory.

The Mint menu used to start the KDE4 apps until either an update or when I installed the new Mint desktop.

I finally discovered what I was looking for:

>Daryna > Control Center > Look and Feel > Main Menu > click on Games > right click on the menu item that you need to change. Viola! find the launcher in /usr/bin.

The KDE4 games are pretty attractive and that's the reason I installed KDE4.

Thank You for your quick response!
Husse

Post by Husse »

The KDE4 games are pretty attractive and that's the reason I installed KDE4.
Isn't that overkill? I mean the games would be sufficient :)
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by goldstar1 »

Hey I'm pretty new at this... I tried installing some games but they would not work, then at the above link, it said something about removing the KDE4 libraries because they don't work, then install the KDE4 core files from the repo they suggested.

Yea, I have KDE4 installed on my computer, and yes it is over kill. a complete waste of hard drive space and some day I'll figure this stuff out.

Right now though, I think this Mint is the best distro by far---my wife uses Celena and it seems to be rock solid---I use Daryna and maybe because of my experiments as mentioned above, I run into a little trouble but nothing dramatic.

Return to “Software & Applications”