Gnome Shell Applications Menu is Empty

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kseise

Gnome Shell Applications Menu is Empty

Post by kseise »

I have a weird issue on a new installation of 64 bit LMDE. My Applications list in Gnome Shell is empty. I have tried deleting .gconf .gnome and .gnome2. I deleted the menus directory under .local. I can't figure out how to reset gnome shell menus. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kseise

Re: Gnome Shell Applications Menu is Empty

Post by kseise »

Nobody knows how to reset all the gnome menus? Other users on the same system are fine. Any ideas?
kseise

Post by kseise »

According to an Ubuntu Forum, this might work.

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
Just tried, and it didn't work.
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

I don't know if I've misunderstood your question here. but from what I can gather I'm posting a reply. Have you tried logging into the fallback mode, or into mate. The reason is that if your system does not have an accelerated graphics card, when you move your mouse over the menu nothing happens in Gnome 3.
äxl

Post by äxl »

kseise wrote:I deleted the menus directory under .local
Was that wise?
I presume there are files in /usr/share/applications, right?
There also should be some in ~/.local/share/applications
kseise

Post by kseise »

I tried nuking all of it, and nothing worked. I ended up pulling a copy off of another LMDE computer. Strangely, it seems to have fixed some issues I had with the window manager constantly reloading. Somehow only my profile was being corrupted.

Return to “LMDE Archive”