Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)'

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jibe
Level 3
Level 3

Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)'

Post by jibe »

Hi,

I have a Samsung SPC310slpc printer connected to a server. I'm using it through IPP protocol.

Since some days, when it was working well before, I get this message :
L'option « printer-resolution » a pour valeur « (unknown IPP tag) » et ne peut pas être modifiée.
That is in english :
Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited.
Seems that the printer refuses to work (no printer tray-icon, no message, nothing in the printer queue), but in fact the document is printed !

I think that it's related to this bug, isn't it ? Does somebody knows when it will be corrected (for Debian AND LMDE) ? Is there some way to work around ?

The problem is that we cannot change anything in the printer config...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rj.adams

Re: Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)

Post by rj.adams »

I'm not sure what package introduced this bug, but after running into it today I can confirm it is fixed by upgrading the python-cups package to version 1.9.55. This version has not yet made it into unstable so you will need to build or install it yourself for the time being.

EDIT: Rudimentary build instructions removed as they caused a package error later on.
Last edited by rj.adams on Fri May 25, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orys

Post by orys »

Hello there.

I have the same problem with my hp laserjet 3030, reinstalled cups and hplip and now I have that progress, that printer is paused, and when I try to turn it on inside the settings window, it gives me this message. If I just click on it in "printing" window, it switches itself on for a while, prints test page and then switches off again.

I tried to follow that advice, but I got this:

Code: Select all

orys@orysiownia /tmp/python-cups/pycups-1.9.55 $ sudo python setup.py install --root /tmp/python-cups/newdeb
[sudo] password for orys: 
running install
running build
running build_ext
building 'cups' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -DVERSION="1.9.55" -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c cupsmodule.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.7/cupsmodule.o
cupsmodule.c:22:20: fatal error: Python.h: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu [i]<- that means "there is no such file or catalogue"[/i]
compilation terminated.
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
orys@orysiownia /tmp/python-cups/pycups-1.9.55 $
I have absolutely no idea what to do now.
Please help ;-)

(PS My system:
orys@orysiownia /tmp/python-cups/pycups-1.9.55 $ cat /etc/debian_version
wheezy/sid
orys@orysiownia /tmp/python-cups/pycups-1.9.55 $ uname -a
Linux orysiownia 2.6.39-2-486 #1 Tue Jul 5 02:52:23 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux )
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

Hi orys,

The error about python.h is the most telling.

Try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install python2.7-dev
That should install the python headers you need.

I should note that while my instructions solved my own printer properties error, it also resulted in a package error that appears while installing other packages (but can seemingly be ignored). Something I need to look into..I'm still a novice at building debian packages.
orys

Post by orys »

Hi rj,

I tried it but it says that I have it installed in newest version...
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

I'm sorry that didn't work for you, orys. I'm not sure what else you might be missing to perform the compile.

I have volunteered to help maintain python-cups but am not sure how long it will take to get new packages uploaded and available.

For the time being, I've just built i386 and amd64 debian/sid packages of python-cups_1.9.61:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2856016/debian ... 1_i386.deb
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2856016/debian ... _amd64.deb

Please let me know if it works for you.
orys

Post by orys »

Yeah, problem is sorted now, thank you!

For some reason at the begining it was only printing test pages and then it was switching itself of but that got me angry and after some swearing connected to randomly clicking various options in printer settings and now it managed to print out the job I needed!)

If I can be of any help by providing you with some info (because I am too lame to do anything more when it comes to linux) just let me know!
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

You're welcome, I'm glad it worked for you!

Sometimes the swearing helps, but it usually doesn't fix the problem. :lol:

The maintainers of the package have been informed and hopefully the new version of python-cups will make it into the official repos sometime soon. Don't need any more info, but thanks for your offer, and thank you for coming back to confirm it worked for you.

Just try to remember to check the python-cups package in Synaptic every so often, because when it is upgraded to 1.9.55 or higher you should move to the official package. Cheers!
orys

Post by orys »

Hah. Me again.

So it is not quite as it should be.

Altough I managed to print few pages since my last visit here, it turned out that it was only my luck. It prints only some of the page then it ignores the rest of it and prints some stuff like:
EPROTECT= AUTO
__________________@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
____________________________________________@PJL SET DENSITY=5
________________________________________________________________ @PJL SET DUPLEX=OFF
________________________________________________________________________________________ @PJL
(where ____ are just empty places, but it wont allow me to format my post)

and I was simply lucky that on these few occasions it managed to get right through to the bottom of the page without that stuff.

Now I needed to print 10 copies of something and it went mad, it started to print and never wanted to stop, the cancel button on the printer was not reacting, so I just had to switch it off, but after I switch it on it started to print again, but this time I managed to cancel the printing.

I got about 16 copies of which only three were full pages, the others went from about 1 cm to maybe half of the page and the rest was replaced with the stuff above.

I wanted to show it to you, but then I discovered that my scanner is not working as well...

Swearing has no effect this time... ;-)

Any ideas what can I do about it?

EDIT: I noticed that where unknown IPP tag was, in "Other options - advanced" i have "print-color-mode" set to color, and I neither can remove that option, nor switch it to monochromatic, as after clicking "ok" or "apply" it pops up again - just as it was with that IPP tag... So I guess that might be somehow related...

EDIT 2: I tried other drivers available, but the problem seems to be common for all of them. So I installed it back to how it was and also reinstalled the package from you, but I am back to square one: it wont print anything, if I turn it on in settings it will switch off after second or two. Except that there is no unknown IPP tag popup window, but I can't remove that print-color-mode option now where unknown IPP tag used to be...
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

Hi orys,

If I had to guess I'd say this problem is unrelated to python-cups.

How did you install the printer? Via `hp-setup`?
Have you restarted cups? `sudo service cups restart`
Have you tried printing as root? In some cases there could be a permission error with using the USB device so this might help narrow it down.

According to these pages your printer should work fine:
http://openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_3030
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... _3030.html

Try deleting the printer and adding it again. First try adding it via hp-setup. If it still doesn't print correctly, delete it, restart cups, and try adding it through Administration->Printing->Add Printer (`system-config-printer`) instead.

If there are still problems, post again with the output of `hp-check -g` attached and I'll try to help diagnose it.
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

If after trying the other things I noted you still have problems printing, here are python-cups 1.9.55 packages which is the earliest version that fixes the "unknown IPP tag" error:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2856016/debian ... 1_i386.deb
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2856016/debian ... _amd64.deb

I really think the problem is unrelated to python-cups - it would seem your printer device isn't using the right PPD file or has an incorrect setup courtesy of the old python-cups, so definitely check that first.

Fortunately you should only need to fix this once on your system :mrgreen:
orys

Post by orys »

Hah. I was doing that by Administration-Printing-Add printer.

When I attempted to do it via hp-setup I found that for some reason hplip is missing. I installed it and the printer popped up in Administration-Printing-Add printer by itself and prints perfectly.
Sadly there is still no scanner, so I checked and sane was missing for some reason as well. Installed it, no help.

As for hp-check-g, well, that attacks me with so much screens of communicates that I can't even go back far enough to see them all. But I hope the most important things are at the bottom, so I copied and pasted as much as I could here: http://poteflon.pl/paste/3715

-----------
| SUMMARY |
-----------

error: 12 errors and/or warnings.

But at least I have printer working, so I managed to print what I need for tomorow and I go to grab some sleep - I have about 4 hours left...

As for the scanner: I noticed that python-imaging-sane is not installing, do I need that one as well?
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

For scanning, install xsane.

I just loaded up xsane myself and it couldn't find my HP photosmart all-in-one. Forcing a reinstallation of libsane-hpaio fixed the problem--so maybe hplips software needs to install the printer device before sane is configured, but who knows.

Glad your printer is working. Please post again and let me know if you're able to scan with it, and also whether you ended up downgrading python-cups to 1.9.55 or if you're still at 1.9.61. Cheers!
orys

Post by orys »

Cool. It scans, copies, prints, perforates punched cards, laces up shoes, dances, sings, makes abortions, rides unicycle, votes in Afgan elections, play trumpet and differentiates differentiates of the second order :D

Now as for python-cups i still have the first one you gave me and I am propably going to follow the first-and-most-important-linux-rule I developed over time: if it works, for gods sake don't touch it :-)

Thank you again so much for your help :)
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

Excellent. Given it's undocumented abilities and unnatural talents, I expect great things from your printer especially as it further matures in pagecount. :lol:

Thanks for posting again, I'm glad the latest python-cups is working for you.

You're very welcome. Cheers!
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I had the same problem but after downloading your python cups packages my system is now corrupted and the log files are so large that the system will not startup.

Could you suggest any remedy please
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

Fornhamfred wrote:I had the same problem but after downloading your python cups packages my system is now corrupted and the log files are so large that the system will not startup.

Could you suggest any remedy please
None of the python-cups packages I posted should affect your system in such a way, so I'm thinking you have a different problem. If you can't boot into recovery mode, try booting into single user mode and removing the log files. Instructions for booting into single-user mode or recovery mode are widely available.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

i just experienced (the english version) of this error message adding a networked hp officejet j4500 on a winxp machine.

since i'm a noob i just stopped and figured i'd ask what to do from here on xfce?

i'd rather not mess up this install for a network printer (since i haven't had a problem doing this for some time, but i think this last respin is diff).

there doesn't seem to be any indication it doesn't function and it printed the gedit contents of my fstab.

i wouldn't even know where to look to see if the error still exists and i'm unsure if i should add the scanner portion like i have to for Windows. is this a case of installing extra drivers in winxp for the printer so lmde xfce doesn't generate that error message?
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

grantpet wrote: i wouldn't even know where to look to see if the error still exists
It comes up consistently each time you go into your printer properties dialog. System-Printing->right click on printer, properties etc.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

rj.adams wrote:System-Printing->right click on printer, properties
yep, it's there alright. thanks

where to start from here? should i try the unofficial cups, xfce is 4.8? i have hplip on my machine, so that's not it for me. reinstalling didn't fix anything.

Return to “LMDE Archive”