Live DVD will not boot...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Uncle Spellbinder

Live DVD will not boot...

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Hi, all

I thought I'd give LMDE a test spin after reading the remarkable reviews. Currently running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Computer Specs: HP Pavilion - Intel Core i5 - 3.10GHz - 8 GB memory - nVidia GeForce GT 520 1 GB

I burned a DVD on Ubuntu from the downloaded ISO. Inserted the disc, shut down and rebooted. Once the DVD is recognized I see what looks like a planet surrounded by colored stars and the Debian logo in the lower right. Then it stops and boots into Ubuntu. I tried another download and burned another DVD using the new ISO. Same thing.

Ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Uncle Spellbinder

Re: Live DVD will not boot...

Well, I'm off to work this morning.

Bumping in hopes I'll see an answer or idea as to this issue.
Uncle Spellbinder

Anyone???
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

Did you try choosing any of the alternative choices in the list? Just to see if any will allow you to boot.
Uncle Spellbinder

telenux wrote:Did you try choosing any of the alternative choices in the list? Just to see if any will allow you to boot.
Alternative choices, as in download locations? I tried 2 different US downloads from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=100
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:
telenux wrote:Did you try choosing any of the alternative choices in the list? Just to see if any will allow you to boot.
Alternative choices, as in download locations? I tried 2 different US downloads from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=100
No, I don't mean that.

When you first boot, there's a list and 'Default' is pre-selected at the top. Do you get that far when it's booting?
Uncle Spellbinder

telenux wrote:...When you first boot, there's a list and 'Default' is pre-selected at the top. Do you get that far when it's booting?
No. As stated in my original post, once the DVD is recognized I see what looks like a planet surrounded by colored stars and the Debian logo in the lower right. Then it stops and boots into Ubuntu.
Uncle Spellbinder

I guess I'll just have to live without LMDE for the time being. I've downloaded another ISO and tried again with the same result.

:?
msm

Post by msm »

Have you tried running LMDE from a USB stick instead?
Uncle Spellbinder

I've never looked into that. I guess I'm old-school with DVD's. Is there a tutorial on how to do a bootable flash drive?
Uncle Spellbinder

Excellent. I'll get a flash drive this weekend and give it a shot. I'll post back the results.

Thanks.
Uncle Spellbinder

There is obviously something wrong with these ISOs.

I downloaded three (yes, 3) ISOs each of 64 and 32 bit LMDE Mate-Cinnamon from three different servers. All six ISOs have the same issue booting (as described in post #1) on either DVD of flash drive. It's not my computer as I have half a dozen other live CD/DVD distros and none have issues.

Someone have any idea what is going on here? This is just nuts.
Demeter

Post by Demeter »

I think the problem is that your have card GT 520....
I have GTX 550Ti and can't run live DVD too :(
Uncle Spellbinder

Demeter wrote:I think the problem is that your have card GT 520....
I have GTX 550Ti and can't run live DVD too :(
Nope. I don't think that's it. The Live CD/DVD of Linux Mint 12, Ubuntu 12.04, Chakra, Sabayon and Fedora 16 all load fine. I only have issues with LMDE.
Uncle Spellbinder

Seems I've stumbled upon an all-to-easy way to boot. Found a couple of references on a couple of obscure forums about the same issue I was having. A poster on each said that on newer computers (mine is about 4 months old) in some cases F12 must be pressed at the setup screen just before the computer boots. It works. I'm now using the live LMDE DVD. So, It seems I may finally be able to get this installed!

So, if there are any other users (or potential users) have this issue, try pressing F12 just before the computer boots into your OS. Should work. It did for me.

:wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”