GIMP 2.8

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colyn

Gimp 2.8 stable

Post by colyn »

It has been released. Love the single window mode..

To install enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge Gimp*
in the terminal to remove your old version (you must do this step before proceding) then

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp 

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gimp
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AncientBlonde

GIMP 2.8

Post by AncientBlonde »

I'm running Linux Mint 11 still... I am wondering how do I update linux mint 11 to twelve without losing my files, and using the terminal (If that is possible) and I am also wondering how I would get GIMP 2.8 on 11 if upgrading through terminal is not a possibility
CreamCorn

Re: Gimp 2.8 stable

Post by CreamCorn »

Like millions of users, I too am really excited about Gimp 2.8. I followed the steps you posted on Linux Mint 12 but I get the following error message:

$ sudo apt-get install gimp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gimp : Depends: libgimp2.0 (>= 2.8.0-1ubuntu0ppa3~oneiric) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libgimp2.0 (<= 2.8.0-z) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.10) but 2.24.6-0ubuntu5linuxmint1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
$
Does anyone know how I can fix that? Thanks!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: GIMP 2.8

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
phoinx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phoinx »

I'm having the exact same issue...

Tried to install dependencies, but always fail.
Gigabyte GA-970-DS3P / AMD Athlon II x3 425 2.7GHz / Kingston 16GB DDR3 1333MHz / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (2GB) / Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
ra-dio

Post by ra-dio »

I have the same problem :-(
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Threads about the same subject merged
colyn

Post by colyn »

AncientBlonde wrote:I'm running Linux Mint 11 still... I am wondering how do I update linux mint 11 to twelve without losing my files, and using the terminal (If that is possible) and I am also wondering how I would get GIMP 2.8 on 11 if upgrading through terminal is not a possibility
It is not advisable to do an upgrade since there are too many problems encountered. The preferred method is to backup important files then do a clean install. Once done then follow the above instructions that I have posted..
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[post edited because the information here before was causing severe problems regarding Gimp's installation in Mint 12]
Astrognome

Post by Astrognome »

I tried this and it broke everything.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Astrognome wrote:I tried this and it broke everything.
what is everything? can you be more specific? can't you boot the OS anymore? had you lost the desktop?
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I also received the same "broken packages" message, tried the fix, but still couldn't install Gimp 2.8. Perhaps it isn't as stable as touted? Meanwhile, I'll reinstall 2.6 and live with it. :|
anlang1912

Post by anlang1912 »

Forced upgrade to libgtk2.0-0 2.24.10 via Synaptic would deinstall half of my installation, including Gnome 3.0 - This is an absolute no-go. Think I'll have to wait for Mint 13. Sorry for that. Installation in W7 was w/o any problems - what a shame!
Regards Andreas
pawell

Post by pawell »

I didn't read the guides, I was just happy!

I just fast typed to my terminal apt....purge gimp*

Then when it was "purging" my gimp, I read the comments...

Then my joy was overcame by fear...

And I sticked with old gimp :-)
stewie

Post by stewie »

it does seem that Gimp 2.8 is ready but it isnt i know thats confusing its also very sad as Ive been sitting on my hands waiting i guess i can wait a bit longer on the same note the new VLC is doing the exact same thing and removing codecs i found out by upgrading VLC then trying to render video in kden live finding out that it removed some codecs thus i could not render video at all and wound up re-installing mint-kde
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

If I had read this thread I wouldnt have had to reinstall 2.6. :oops:
I guess the prudent move right now is to wait for things to get sorted out.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
arjot

Post by arjot »

CreamCorn wrote:Like millions of users, I too am really excited about Gimp 2.8. I followed the steps you posted on Linux Mint 12 but I get the following error message:

$ sudo apt-get install gimp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gimp : Depends: libgimp2.0 (>= 2.8.0-1ubuntu0ppa3~oneiric) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libgimp2.0 (<= 2.8.0-z) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.10) but 2.24.6-0ubuntu5linuxmint1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
$
Does anyone know how I can fix that? Thanks!
I had the same problem.
I uninstalled gimp 2.6
How can I reinstall it?
Please help.
ok67

Post by ok67 »

You will find the answers to reinstal 2.6 here: http://www.noobslab.com/2012/04/install ... ecise.html

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge gimp*
sudo apt-get install gimp
Astrognome

Post by Astrognome »

anlang1912 wrote:Forced upgrade to libgtk2.0-0 2.24.10 via Synaptic would deinstall half of my installation, including Gnome 3.0 - This is an absolute no-go. Think I'll have to wait for Mint 13. Sorry for that. Installation in W7 was w/o any problems - what a shame!
Regards Andreas
Basically this. Fortunately I was using KDE, so I was still able to hunt down all the missing packages.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

This unofficial compilation of the 2.7 beta (single window is one click in Windows menu, but) setting doesn't save) is working fine on my Mint 10, 11 and Lubuntu 10.10 installs.

GIMP 2.7 for older Ubuntu versions (unofficial):

ppa:matthaeus123/mrw-gimp-svn

Not being good with terminal I simply added it to the Synaptic PM repositories, it replaces 2.6 and upgrades in the normal way. I left the extras and UFRaw plug ins as is and they work fine on 2.7.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Software & Applications”