Thunderbird 12 "Connecting to update Server" workaround?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Godwin
Level 1
Level 1

Thunderbird 12 "Connecting to update Server" workaround?

Post by Godwin »

Hi there

There had been quite a few rapid releases of Thunderbird lately. from 11 to 12 then 12.01.

Thunderbird has "in app" upgrade via the Help -> About Thunderbird. If one is running Thunderbird with normal permissions and sees that there is an update and goes for it; a upgrade box will display, the status bar will keep going around and the status message will be stuck at "Connecting to update Server".

However if one stops that instance and uses gksu to re-run Thunderbird, the update will be sensed, downloaded and installed correctly. Since Thunderbird doesn't issue any logs (well not in /var/log as far as I can see), how should I approach in debugging / reporting a bug error? I also wonder if it is supposed to be a feature not a bug (Firefox doesn't have this issue). However it is rather disconcerting because if you run gksu, your existing user mailbox will not show since it is running as su.

GC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zill

Re: Thunderbird 12 "Connecting to update Server" workaround?

Post by Zill »

Godwin: IMHO, a user should never run a web browser or mail application as the superuser. As you have pointed out, running Thunderbird as superuser (via the gksudo prefix) means that you have no correlation with your mail obtained when running as a standard user. This is because the profiles for the user and superuser are in different directories, each with different permissions.

Apart from this practical difficulty, running these internet apps as superuser is making your system far more vulnerable and may well result in breakage. :-(

To avoid problems, just ignore any "in app" upgrades and stick to upgrading via the normal repositories.
Godwin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Godwin »

The problem is I thought Mozilla themselves have decided to go the way of Google.. that is releasing upgrade at a much faster clip and a lot of these errors are security / stability issues... I would say use in app upgrade when you have reviewed the release notes first eg https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... easenotes/. Especially with mail clients, you don't get to control who emails you. If there is a security / stability issue that pertains to you.. it might be a good idea to do in app upgrade.

It is a bit unfortunate that Mozilla doesn't have apt source like Google does. I think it is a bit of a balance to wait for the repositories to upgrade every 6 months vs running gksu thunderbird when there is an update... in the end, you might get a pretty big bug and still result in breakage.

Besides you run as Superuser only during the upgrade and revert after the upgrade (you have to anyways because your email settings don't get carried over). I have filed a bugzilla report on this.
Zill wrote:Godwin: IMHO, a user should never run a web browser or mail application as the superuser. As you have pointed out, running Thunderbird as superuser (via the gksudo prefix) means that you have no correlation with your mail obtained when running as a standard user. This is because the profiles for the user and superuser are in different directories, each with different permissions.

Apart from this practical difficulty, running these internet apps as superuser is making your system far more vulnerable and may well result in breakage. :-(

To avoid problems, just ignore any "in app" upgrades and stick to upgrading via the normal repositories.
Zill

Post by Zill »

Godwin wrote:... If there is a security / stability issue that pertains to you.. it might be a good idea to do in app upgrade...
If you really think that you will be targetted via the latest vulnerability then you may have a point! Personally, I am quite happy to wait until an application is upgraded through the official repos. I get less hassle that way. ;-)

Return to “LMDE Archive”