Poll: Desktop environments

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.

Which desktop environments do you use?

Cinnamon
30%
Fluxbox, OpenBox, Blackbox, *box
3%
Gnome Fallback
3%
Gnome Shell
9%
KDE
11%
LXDE
6%
MATE
19%
Other non-listed DE (Enlightenment, Trinity, RazorQT, ROX) or not using or planning to use any of the DEs listed in this poll.
2%
Unity
4%
Xfce
13%

Total votes: 4983

veggen

Re: Poll: Desktop environments

Post by veggen »

JonesKS wrote:How do you make a shortcut?? :shock:
What exactly are you talking about? We ain't got shortcuts in Linux land. We got Launchers and we got symlinks. And shortcut where? Desktop? In Cinnamon, you make a launcher by right clicking a menu entry and selecting "Add to desktop". You make a symlink by right-clicking a file and selecting "Make link". What exactly is it that you're missing?
If you saying you can make a launcher for an arbitrary app (that's not in the menu), then yeah, Nautilus kind of axed it and that sucks, but it's easy enough to make it yourself if you really need it.
BTPFMJ

Post by BTPFMJ »

Mister.T wrote:I can only imagine that those of you who have slated gnome3 have either not even bothered to configure it beyond the default...
Good defaults are very important. With Gnome 2 (especially with the Mint flavor of it) I didn't have to worry if desktop settings will be OK if someone creates a new user. I could even encourage people to install Mint themselves because they got a friendly and familiar environment by default. They could tweak things, but they didn't need to, especially not right at the beginning.

If I have to tweak every little detail before I can give the system to someone, then it's not a very user-friendly distro. I can do the same with Debian or Gentoo or almost anything.

(It's an entirely different topic that Gnome 3 cannot be configured to provide all the functionality of Gnome 2. It might work for you only if you use a relatively small subset of the functionality of Gnome 2. There's nothing wrong with that, but you cannot generalize from your limited experience to all use cases.)
digital ownage

Post by digital ownage »

Just make a release with mate-cinnamon, XFCE and KDE. And let all other shells be available by the repo's.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Mister.T wrote:I can only imagine that those of you who have slated gnome3 have either not even bothered to configure it beyond the default or are just going with the flow. Gnome 3 DE can be made to run in a very similar way to Gnome 2. By adding the Gnome menu and maximise/minimise buttons to the windows and a few other tweak's, you will feel right at home. Apart from that Gnome 3 appears,2 at least on my machine, to be even snappier than Gnome 2.

Please don't slate if all you have seen is the default.
Mint 12 featured a configured Gnome Shell. There are many threads on the forums about configuring gnome 3, and I spent a lot of time after Mint 12 came out trying to get gnome shell right where I wanted it. It basically looked like Cinnamon. Do you know what I realized? It took 10 seconds longer for me to boot when I had lots of extensions on (Most people won't have that big of a difference but my boot time was pretty long anyway). I also realized that I was still limited to installing the extensions that existed, and it wasn't easy installing these (unless they were on the extensions.gnome.org). With Cinnamon, I installed and had, by default, almost exactly what I wanted. Applets are also so much faster than extensions. Also, there are some applets that are much better than their gnome shell extension counterparts, if they even have gnome shell counterparts (I love the classic menu). I can use any desktop environment out there (I've never extensively tried a window manager), but I like Cinnamon (and Xfce) better than all the rest (besides gnome 2, but they're getting there).
Gaugamela

Post by Gaugamela »

veggen wrote:
JonesKS wrote:How do you make a shortcut?? :shock:
What exactly are you talking about? We ain't got shortcuts in Linux land. We got Launchers and we got symlinks. And shortcut where? Desktop? In Cinnamon, you make a launcher by right clicking a menu entry and selecting "Add to desktop". You make a symlink by right-clicking a file and selecting "Make link". What exactly is it that you're missing?
If you saying you can make a launcher for an arbitrary app (that's not in the menu), then yeah, Nautilus kind of axed it and that sucks, but it's easy enough to make it yourself if you really need it.
Mint should create their own file manager or use Marlin because Nautilus right now is just pathetic and oversimplified. It's as bad as Windows Explorer.
jackmetal

Post by jackmetal »

JanG wrote:I don't share the view of keeping things as before. Time goes on, life goes on, things are changing...
Hold on to the past is a waste of time in my opinion.

I vote for Gnome Shell
+1

And also my reason for looking back into Fedora or straight debian. ;-)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

jackmetal wrote:
JanG wrote:I don't share the view of keeping things as before. Time goes on, life goes on, things are changing...

I vote for Gnome Shell
+1

A lot of people like the past. Anyways, I wish you luck on your ventures with Fedora and debian, and I remind you that gnome shell is only an "apt install gnome-shell" away (at least on linux mint).
jackmetal

Post by jackmetal »

cwwgateway wrote:
jackmetal wrote:

I vote for Gnome Shell
+1

A lot of people like the past. Anyways, I wish you luck on your ventures with Fedora and debian, and I remind you that gnome shell is only an "apt install gnome-shell" away (at least on linux mint).
agreed.... I'm actually running the 'old' lmde with gnome-shell (Sid on one system, testing on another and the update packs on my wife's) and I'm testing the latest lmde (with gnome-shell installed). I'd love a DE agnostic build in which you could pick your DE of choice during install, but that's asking a lot. ;-)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

agreed.... I'm actually running the 'old' lmde with gnome-shell (Sid on one system, testing on another and the update packs on my wife's) and I'm testing the latest lmde (with gnome-shell installed). I'd love a DE agnostic build in which you could pick your DE of choice during install, but that's asking a lot. ;-)
While I personally agree with you, IIRC, the desktop agnostic version was considered to be against mint's "works out of the box" philosophy, and it wasn't going to happen (again, IIRC, Ikey, the dev who originally created LMDE, offered to create a desktop agnostic version of LMDE so that other editions could be built off of it).
Last edited by cwwgateway on Mon May 07, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colyn

Post by colyn »

I'm a long time KDE user but I also like Mate and Cinnamon. None of the others impressed me but that is not to say they aren't good..

Hopefully in the near future LMDE KDE will make the current version available since 4.7.4 has the ghosting issue..
vmarinho

Post by vmarinho »

I'm using Gnome3 with MSGE (although I have MATE, Cinnamom, Gnome classic and Unity). It's absoluletly perfect. Hope that Mint team mantain it in future releases.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

vmarinho wrote:I'm using Gnome3 with MSGE (although I have MATE, Cinnamom, Gnome classic and Unity). It's absoluletly perfect. Hope that Mint team mantain it in future releases.
The mint team stopped working on MGSE months ago. These extensions were merged into Cinnamon because the mint team couldn't get the level of control they wanted using extensions. However, you can use Mint 13 and install gnome shell. You can find the extensions somewhere probably (or possibly similar extensions). I know that there are multiple bottom panel extensions, application menu extensions (although not the Mint menu), windowlist extensions, etc. You can look for some at http://extensions.gnome.org. You can always stay with Mint 12, though (at least until support runs out).
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R »

As the only ‘Blog’ on the Web that’s likely to be heeded by its small development team, I guess that it’s hardly surprising that it has attracted so many new forum users with long pent-up frustrations like the small group who have always wanted Linux Mint to take a KDE desktop approach.
Their views don’t seem to have changed much from LM-3 days, when the majority ‘voted’ for a Gnome-based approach that quickly evolved into the version that we all came to love (or hate), with LM-10 (Julia) probably being the pinnacle and able to accept a whole new generation of applications that were emerging and actually worked, like OpenShot.
Sadly, thanks to Ubuntu Unity and Gnome3 that versatility seems to have been lost, on an ‘it ain’t broke so we’ll fix it’ basis, spurred on by bean-counter visions, so the valiant efforts of folk like the Zorin brothers, Clem’s team and those of the MATE and Cinnamon teams has been welcomed by those of us who simply want a ‘Keep It Simple’ and ‘free’ alternative to the fortress Redmond behemoth.
As ever, being a simple user rather than a developer, I have my fingers crossed, hoping that Clem and the team will rescue us from the Unity / Gnome3 disaster !
As per my vote, with LMDE I have been getting most mileage from MATE on my desktop, although LMDE still won’t install on my laptop, rather reminiscent of earlier Ubuntu days, where desperate changes of kernel didn’t really help
So in the face of ‘negative vibes’, Very Good luck to Clem and his small team.
At the risk of boring folk this forum rather than open 'Blog' posting is intended to increase the chance of it being read. :D
zenskillz

Post by zenskillz »

I tried updating LMDE RC and it failed miserably 3x. That took a LONG time. Thank you clonezilla.

I finally got LMDE updated using just terminal and no DE. Unfortunately, I didn't like any of the new DE environments - Gnome 3 shell, Cinnamon, or mate. The startup wait always felt "wonky" as the icon always appeared in the lower right-hand corner in whatever environment loaded. I showed my teenage son Gnome 3 shell and he was able to crash it in the first 15 seconds by opening ~10 blank activities / new screens or so. Completely locked up and unresponsive. Maybe it's improved since then?

I've decided to point to the frozen repositories for now and I haven't had time to fiddle with this install since.

I voted for KDE, but I know KDE LMDE isn't available without some hassle I presume. I know it's lame, but compiz is probably my favorite thing about using Linux. I would have voted for compiz if that had been an option. Jello-like wobbly windows just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. And when I close an app, I like seeing it shattered and broken like glass. I can't do that on windows or Quackintosh. I'll be looking for an alternative to Gnome I think. Most likely KDE or XFCE.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

I was always an XFCE player, but I primarily used Gnome on my main rig until SalineOS came out.
Right now I'm a Bodhi addict. I love E17. I think when the LTS(12.04) version of Bodhi(2.0) comes out that'll be a permanent fixture on my main machine.
XFCE 4.10 is looking awesome and I'll see what Nordquist comes up with for his 2.0 Saline ( once Wheezer goes stable).
Interesting times in the Linux world.
I love Cinnamon ......on my toast. :roll:
galher

Post by galher »

Just tested sinnamon and it's awesome!
Jawz

Post by Jawz »

Okay, got Linux Mint Debian 201204 in VirtualBox.

- Cinnamon looks got and stuff, but unstable, window manager crashes and restarts on occassion.
- Simple packages not available via Debian, like wine, never knew there was such a difference.
- Never been passionate about Gnome2 but I'll say MATE so far is stable and familiar, so that's good.

Conclusion: will stick with LM12-KDE
Darn it! Gnome Shell is catching up! :(
Last edited by Jawz on Sun May 13, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

A while back there were some comments on how Cinnamon would do on a different distro's forum, and I just stumbled across a DE thread on the PinguyOS forum. Here's the link http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-Which- ... e-the-most. Interestingly, Cinnamon has 16.67% of the vote (it's behind Xfce and Gnome-shell which both have 19.44% and tied with unity), although there have only been 36 votes so far. Considering PinguyOS has no versions that ship with Cinnamon and no plans to ship a Cinnamon version (at least no plans that I know of), this is a pretty high percentage.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

cwwgateway wrote:A while back there were some comments on how Cinnamon would do on a different distro's forum, and I just stumbled across a DE thread on the PinguyOS forum. Here's the link http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-Which- ... e-the-most. Interestingly, Cinnamon has 16.67% of the vote (it's behind Xfce and Gnome-shell which both have 19.44% and tied with unity), although there have only been 36 votes so far. Considering PinguyOS has no versions that ship with Cinnamon and no plans to ship a Cinnamon version (at least no plans that I know of), this is a pretty high percentage.
Yeah, but take a good look at that poll. The thread was started February 2, 2012 -- 3 months ago. Like you said, only 36 votes so far. Only 6 votes for Cinnamon. Nothing significant about those numbers at all, I'm afraid.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

MALsPa wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:A while back there were some comments on how Cinnamon would do on a different distro's forum, and I just stumbled across a DE thread on the PinguyOS forum. Here's the link http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-Which- ... e-the-most. Interestingly, Cinnamon has 16.67% of the vote (it's behind Xfce and Gnome-shell which both have 19.44% and tied with unity), although there have only been 36 votes so far. Considering PinguyOS has no versions that ship with Cinnamon and no plans to ship a Cinnamon version (at least no plans that I know of), this is a pretty high percentage.
Yeah, but take a good look at that poll. The thread was started February 2, 2012 -- 3 months ago. Like you said, only 36 votes so far. Only 6 votes for Cinnamon. Nothing significant about those numbers at all, I'm afraid.
If I remember correctly there's something special about having a sample size of either 32 or above or 36 or above (can't remember which one), but I agree, the numbers aren't significant. Still, it's interesting.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”