Wrong Password in Lock Screen!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
abish

Wrong Password in Lock Screen!

Post by abish »

Hello friends.
I've been using LMDE since a few weeks.
I'm happy with Cinnamon except a problem.

my problems:

1. Once I lock my laptop, on the 'Enter Password' screen... whatever I do, it says 'wrong password'..
and interestingly the same password works everywhere else including the startup Login Screen.

2. How do I change what my power button does ? I want the shutdown/sleep/restart options to come rather than direct sleep.

thank you :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Inkit

Re: Wrong Password in Lock Screen!

Post by Inkit »

Once I lock my laptop, on the 'Enter Password' screen... whatever I do, it says 'wrong password'..
and interestingly the same password works everywhere else including the startup Login Screen.
Sorry can't help.
How do I change what my power button does ? I want the shutdown/sleep/restart options to come rather than direct sleep.
I don't know about cinnamon, but in the old Gnome 2, when you check under power manager, you have the option of changing the settings there. under the headings for power button just choose "Ask me" instead of sleep and you should get the options displayed when you press the power button.
äxl

Post by äxl »

This seems all to be a problem with Cinnamon using Gnome3 settings.
What release do you use? ISO, RC?

Code: Select all

lsb_release -dr
Also please give the output of:

Code: Select all

gconftool -a /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons
guybrush1

Post by guybrush1 »

Hello there,

sorry for reopening such an old thread. But as I am experiencing just the same problem, I'd like to ask for help, too!

My output for lsb_release -dr is:

Description: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Release: 14
Deagon

Post by Deagon »

I've came across the same issue on linux mint debian edition with the mate desktop, although there is an additional twist to my story. Once i lock screen not only is the password incorrect when i try to unlock, but its incorrect when i try to ssh in from my laptop or after a restart and try to log in with mate desktop manager. It's like the simple act of clicking 'lock screen' in the mate menu corrupts or changes the user account password in some way completely. :? I had to chroot in from live usb as root to set my account password again. So at least you can recover from it, but click lock screen again and boom! same issue. :roll:

However...i just so happened to of changed the hdd in my 2nd machine and hence have done a clean installation on it today... the issue is also present in a fresh install of lmde 201303 mate edition (both machines are lmde 201303 mate x86 edition).

Suppose though, i cant fault 'lock screen' on being able to lock the computer :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”