Mouse trails for Gnome - visually impaired users

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
halfnote5

Mouse trails for Gnome - visually impaired users

Post by halfnote5 »

Hi there!

I've spent the better part of an hour trying to find a good add-on or plugin or... SOMETHING... for Gnome to enable a Windows-like mouse cursor trail. The "locate" widget and the little fire trail of compiz are both out of the question, unfortunately.

I've been googling like mad. Several other people have asked the question, and of course, the most "useful" answer was:
Why would you want that? I hated it in windows**

To circumvent this particular request for information, I will say that I am setting up the system for a couple of people who are visually impaired, and for whom neither the "locate cursor" widget, nor the compiz trailing fireballs really help very much. They really want a Linux system, but if they can't USE it, I'm going to have to give them Windows, and maybe set them up with a virtual linux box or something (which isn't as fun, you know). ; )

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

**(Brief tangent: I never got why anyone would waste their time on such a response. That's like saying "I don't like strawberry ice cream, so why do they even sell it?" Seems overly self-centric.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abnvolk

Re: Mouse trails for Gnome - visually impaired users

Post by abnvolk »

I don't know if there is a way to enable it. You may try "show location of mouse pointer when press CTRL". I don't even know that this feature is for visually impared people.
rik_rs

Re: Mouse trails for Gnome - visually impaired users

Post by rik_rs »

I have the same problem, not because I'm visually impaired but 'cos I have a couple of monitors in twin view and the total surface is 3840x1080 pixels (1060x301 millimeters), so it's easy to have the mouse lost somewhere. :lol:

I tried a bigger pointer but it's not a good solution because the big pointer is a problem on documents, programming, etc.

The ideal solution in this case would be the mouse trail... but unfortunately I don't see any option for that.

I've tried the CTRL solution to locate the mouse, but that's not sufficient to a quick location in that I still have to scan the entire surface with my eyes... but it would be ok if only there were an option to enlarge the circular clue that appear pressing CTRL. Does anyone know how to make it more visibile?

PS: I'm using Mate on Mint 13 but the problem is the same.

Return to “MATE”