AMD/ATI & NVidia proprietary video drivers

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
tomast

AMD/ATI & NVidia proprietary video drivers

Post by tomast »

I wonder if it would be possible to incorporate the the choice of installing proprietary video drivers into the initial install of Mint 13 ?
It can be problematic installing the drivers on Linux especially for new users and it would be a big help if this was an automated choice during the initial install.
For my part I've not had trouble installing the NVidia drivers , but... the AMD CCC drivers and the configuration have been a big pain for me.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: AMD/ATI & NVidia proprietary video drivers

Post by remoulder »

No, proprietary drivers can not be included as a rule, usually due to legal reasons.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
tomast

Re: AMD/ATI & NVidia proprietary video drivers

Post by tomast »

I had thought it would just be a matter of reading and agreeing to the terms of use agreement,
like when I install sun-java or Virtualbox.
I just wish there would be an easier , more sure way to install video drivers because some
functions require the proprietary drivers to work correctly. (Specifically for me , GPU computing.)
Oh well I can always wish... ;-)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”