Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Post by zoli62 »

Is there someone here who has used for the installation the apt-get dist-upgrade method ?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

zoli62 wrote:Is there someone here who has used for the installation the apt-get dist-upgrade method ?
Yes, from Linux Mint 10, with undesired result: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p580669. Don't do a dist-upgrade if you are coming from a Gnome 2 installation. The recommended way of upgrading is by doing a fresh install (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2).
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

xenopeek wrote:You can install any additional desktop environments that you want. You can add Cinnamon to a MATE installation, or vice versa (or add KDE, Xfce or whichever you want :)).
Many thanks, your advice is much appreciated.

DrTeeth
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

I really like MDM, but it is VERY annoying, when changing a DE, to get a 'do you want it is default or just for this session, or cancel dialogue'. PLEASE let me get rid of it.

DrTeeth
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

DrTeeth, see moorewarner's comment: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 78#p580635. Apparently there is an issue on the RC of installing Cinnamon on MATE or vice versa :(
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

xenopeek wrote:
zoli62 wrote:Is there someone here who has used for the installation the apt-get dist-upgrade method ?
Yes, from Linux Mint 10, with undesired result: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p580669. Don't do a dist-upgrade if you are coming from a Gnome 2 installation. The recommended way of upgrading is by doing a fresh install (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2).
Thank you, i 've readed this tutorial. What's wrong with the Gnome 2? There is no problem using Mate as desktop environment?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

xenopeek wrote:DrTeeth, see moorewarner's comment: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 78#p580635. Apparently there is an issue on the RC of installing Cinnamon on MATE or vice versa :(
Vincent, i saw that error in my trials

Code: Select all

(Reading database ... 432257 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mint-info-cinnamon (from .../mint-info-cinnamon_2012.05.02_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-info-cinnamon_2012.05.02_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/linuxmint/info', which is also in package mint-info-xfce 2012.05.02
No apport report written because MaxReports has already been reached
                                                                    Unpacking mint-info-kde (from .../mint-info-kde_2012.05.02_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-info-kde_2012.05.02_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/linuxmint/info', which is also in package mint-info-xfce 2012.05.02
No apport report written because MaxReports has already been reached
                                                                    Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-info-cinnamon_2012.05.02_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-info-kde_2012.05.02_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
asked Clem about this and the answer was:
you are only supposed to have one mint-info-[whichever-DE] installed at any time, you can have as many DE's but only one mint-info-[DE], the one that comes pre-installed, and that identifies your distribution.

so in this situation, because i believe the OP has now a broken package, the fix is to uninstall the mint-info-[DE-you-are-installing]
all the other required pkgs should install fine.
ankbhdk

Post by ankbhdk »

I tried to install it on my HP Pavilion ZE2347EA (Which is currently running LM12 with cinnamon flawlessly).
It won't boot in neither normal or compatibility mode, but boots for a while, and once it is trying to switch to graphicsmode the screen goes blank. (I tried both a USB stick and a DVD)
My graphics card is an ATI XPress 400.
Any clue to what I can do?
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

I am assuming of course that the default file manager in Mint 13 Cinammon is Nautilus.
xenopeek wrote: Trying launching Nautilus from the terminal...
Configuration files for Nautilus...
This makes good sense.

I can launch Nautilus from the terminal no problem.
I renamed the configuration files
I logged out and in again.

Nautilus did not appear on the menus, unfortunately it hadn't occurred to me to right-click on the menu button at this stage to edit the menu so I don't know whether that would have worked.

I then decided I could safely delete those files and directories and reinstall Nautilus, purging the configuration files if anything still existed:

Code: Select all

apt-get remove nautilus --purge
apt-get install nautilus
and belatedly had the idea of right-clicking on the menu button - I was able to add it to the menu.

You gave me good clear expert advice, thank you.

Mint 13 "Maya" RC..........Kernel Linux 3.2.0-23-generic..........GNOME 3.4.1..........Cinammon 1.4
Last edited by ChrisOfBristol on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
georgetom

Post by georgetom »

Installed amd64 cinnamon in Dell Vostro 3400. While booting into the live usb, I got the terminal instead of the login page first and it got stuck here. Rebooted the PC and then installation went fine. No issues after installation either. Super work!
aloysius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aloysius »

Can’t boot 13RC Cinnamon/64 bit on my machine
(Intel P43/e8400 nvidia 9800gt video card).
Boot hangs with a black screen, can get some info if I switch earlier to the first console.
Compatibility mode:
Default mode:

Any suggestions?
Zikco

Post by Zikco »

Bug #671210 rears its head again.

I was installing playonlinux in Mint 13 RC through the Software Manager when it stopped at "Waiting for config file prompt", as shown in the attached image.
abd_bela

Post by abd_bela »

Hi,
I tried the mate 13 version (i386), I got several pbs:
1. first time it ran on my laptop , a second time, the graphic card is not configured correctly,
I had to remove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, after that it ran

2. Th sound is disabled, when i cklicked on volume control, I got "waiting for sound system ..." and
waited for long time no thing happed!!!

NB: on the same laptop the previous version mint 12 and LMDE both worked correctly!!!

3. No login desktop sound
4. I wanted to add new login theme, there is problem in the name, the menu gave
file not a tar or tar.gz ???? while it is of course !!!!!
I solved it by renaming the GdmGre... to
MdmGreeterTheme.desktop, and add the theme directly in the folder /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/

( theses 2 last problems exist in previous version too) /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/)

Any way thanks for the big work you are doing !!

best regards
abd_bela
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

Just installed Maya 'cinnamon'64bit in dualboot with SolusOS and everthing was ok.
No problem at all.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ aloysius: This is bug #950295. I hope it gets fixed soon.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
seneq

Post by seneq »

I have a strange bug. When i want to watch a flash video , it just fast forwards ... it plays the video really fast ... 1 minute in 5 seconds...
CK7

Post by CK7 »

Im running LM 12.
I wanna to try LM 13.
But I cannot boot into installation screen ( all edition ).
aloysius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aloysius »

CK7 wrote:Im running LM 12.
I wanna to try LM 13.
I've been told that in my case it's a problem with the kernel version and my broadcom wifi card.
Perhaps it's the same for you?
mfctyro

Post by mfctyro »

If I install the release candidate do I have to install the release version? Or does the RC transmute into the release version if I keep updating?

Another Dave
CK7

Post by CK7 »

aloysius wrote:
CK7 wrote:Im running LM 12.
I wanna to try LM 13.
I've been told that in my case it's a problem with the kernel version and my broadcom wifi card.
Perhaps it's the same for you?
Ya , maybe ! Wait for LM13 final release :-s

Return to “Releases & Announcements”