Encrypting Linux Mint 12 vs my HDD is vulnerable?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Atlantian

Encrypting Linux Mint 12 vs my HDD is vulnerable?

Post by Atlantian »

I wonder, if someone gains access to my hard drive (HDD) physically or remotely, could he be able to view my files on some other computer, server etc?

If it is even slightly possible, how should I protect my HDD? I do know about some encryption software, but unfortunately it is not designed for Linux Mint 12 and other distros.

How to get it done without big risk? Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Encrypting Linux Mint 12 vs my HDD is vulnerable?

Post by xenopeek »

[Moved here by moderator]

If you have not selected during installation to have an encrypted home folder, then yes. If somebody has physical access to your hard disk they can view all your files (talking about somebody at least somewhat computer savvy, unless you don't require a password to login to your computer ... then anybody with physical access to your computer can view your files).

Can somebody remotely access your hard disk? Not unless you are running some services (like a web server or remote desktop server), and those have unpatched security holes or you have set them up with weak passwords or weak security. However, normally the firewall in your broadband modem blocks all unsolicited traffic to your computer, unless you have configured it to allow traffic to your computer's services. You may add a firewall on your computer as an extra layer of defence, which again will block all such traffic unless you explicitly allow it. To do so, open the Firewall Configuration from the menu, unlock it (little lock icon in bottom right) and drag Status to On. Boom! You are protected :D

If you are planning to install Linux Mint 13, I'd just wait and when setting up the user account during installation of Linux Mint 13, checkmark to have an encrypted home folder. You can encrypt your home folder after installation, but it will take some work on the terminal: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/encrypt-ho ... ion-linux/ (On Gnome 2 it used to be easy to add a user with an encrypted home folder, but for whatever political reason, the Gnome 3 and/or Ubuntu developers have removed the ability to do that from the add user dialog :|)
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

It's shame they removed it from the "inside" as a dialog, since at the very beginning most users like me, that is newbies :) weren't sure if and what to switch on or off. I will try from the console if possible. Stay tuned. Thanks.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

I remember I used to be able to download and use TrueCrypt from the Ubuntu repos. What happened to that? Now I can't find it.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Truecrypt is still available from

http://www.truecrypt.org/
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

900i wrote:Truecrypt is still available from

http://www.truecrypt.org/
Ya, I know that. But, I don't like mucking up my system with stuff that's not found in the default repositories. I've got a couple third party repositories but that's it.
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

xenopeek wrote:[Moved here by moderator]

If you have not selected during installation to have an encrypted home folder, then yes. If somebody has physical access to your hard disk they can view all your files (talking about somebody at least somewhat computer savvy, unless you don't require a password to login to your computer ... then anybody with physical access to your computer can view your files).

Can somebody remotely access your hard disk? Not unless you are running some services (like a web server or remote desktop server), and those have unpatched security holes or you have set them up with weak passwords or weak security. However, normally the firewall in your broadband modem blocks all unsolicited traffic to your computer, unless you have configured it to allow traffic to your computer's services. You may add a firewall on your computer as an extra layer of defence, which again will block all such traffic unless you explicitly allow it. To do so, open the Firewall Configuration from the menu, unlock it (little lock icon in bottom right) and drag Status to On. Boom! You are protected :D

If you are planning to install Linux Mint 13, I'd just wait and when setting up the user account during installation of Linux Mint 13, checkmark to have an encrypted home folder. You can encrypt your home folder after installation, but it will take some work on the terminal: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/encrypt-ho ... ion-linux/ (On Gnome 2 it used to be easy to add a user with an encrypted home folder, but for whatever political reason, the Gnome 3 and/or Ubuntu developers have removed the ability to do that from the add user dialog :|)
I have a problem I couldn't resolve based on the website you showed me. Sudo is better than su, since it makes me as root, but I cannot launch encrypt as root after creating new user let's say test with root privileges and after restarting I get this:

Code: Select all

neo@neo ~ $ sudo ecryptfs-migrate neo
[sudo] password for neo: 
sudo: ecryptfs-migrate: command not found
neo@neo ~ $ sudo ecryptfs-migrate-home –u neo

Usage:

/usr/bin/ecryptfs-migrate-home -u USER

-u,--user       Migrate USER's home directory to an encrypted home directory

WARNING: Make a complete backup copy of the non-encrypted data to
another system or external media. This script is dangerous and, in
case of an error, could result in data lost, or lock you out of your
system!

This program must be executed by root.

neo@neo ~ $ 

Did I miss something? What did I wrong? Something trivial?
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

Still cannot solve the problem with console errors. Anyone?
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

Atlantian wrote:Still cannot solve the problem with console errors. Anyone?
Have you tried using the "su" command? Try doing that, and then inputting the command. When you do this, make sure that you have a little more than half of your hard drive capacity free. It took me awhile to get it working right because I had to delete a lot of stuff that I don't need in order to free up space.

Return to “Other topics”