Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
ChrisOfBristol

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

It's all good! Apart from...
I was using Google Chrome and nothing else and it suddenly seized up. I did ctrl-alt F2 to get another desktop terminal, which was OK, and then ctrl-atl-F7 to go back to DE and I got this message: "could not write bytes: Broken pipes".

I rebooted and wrote this post, then out of interest I did ctrl-alt-F7 and got "could not write bytes: Broken pipes", I then did ctrl-alt-F8 and got the DE back.
Last edited by ChrisOfBristol on Sun May 20, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ve7oko

Post by ve7oko »

Too bad the servers don't work.
No sense installing if the update takes three days :cry:
kelean
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelean »

Currently running LMDE which is very nice but it does not play nice with my intel pro wireless 2200bg wifi card and dell latitude d800 laptop. S o I thought I would give Maya cinnamin 32 bit. I was not able to start it. All I could get to was a blue screen and a mouse pointer.

I then downloaded the mate 32 bit version. Wow what a nice suprise. I am running off of a liveusb stick. My wireless connected the first time and not been dropped once. This has been the fifth distro I have tried because of the wireless problems.

Great job! I hope to be able to install and have the wifi work as it has from the liveusb.
linuxmintcn

Post by linuxmintcn »

Strongly recommend integrated remastersys in linux mint 13 final
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:It's all good! Apart from...
I was using Google Chrome and nothing else and it suddenly seized up. I did ctrl-alt F2 to get another desktop terminal, which was OK, and then ctrl-atl-F7 to go back to DE and I got this message: "could not write bytes: Broken pipes".

I rebooted and wrote this post, then out of interest I did ctrl-alt-F7 and got "could not write bytes: Broken pipes", I then did ctrl-alt-F8 and got the DE back.
I have also had all of these things happen.
hopeful

Post by hopeful »

Thanks for the huge effort which goes into Linuxmint. I hope that something truly usable for productive work will eventually come out it.

I have been testing version 13, 64 bit, Cinnmon and MATE, from the live DVD on a Shuttle X35 with Nvidia graphics chip set and on a Lenovo X121e with AMD processor and AMD chipset.

On both machines, I am encountering similar problems, so they are not hardware related, with both, the MATE and the Cinnamon version, though most of my experience is with MATE (which I prefer a lot - at least I can change workspaces without contortuous gestures). Sometimes already upon starting with the live DVD, sometimes only after some time has elapsed, I find that Firfox crashes and cannot be restarted again. While this might be a Firefox problem, it then is no longer possible to e.g. open the Home- or the Computer-folder on the Desktop.

I have made bad experiences also with the latest LMDE version (was installed but no longer is) after updating, as suggested, to Firfox12.

I wish you sincerely great success, and please keep MATE alive.
fantab

Post by fantab »

Cannot Install LinuxMint 13 "Maya"32bit Cinnamon.

I get the following error message:
Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
The "WW" on the output is mostly about missing fonts, however there is no "EE" in the output, which further reads:
Segmentation fault at address 0x116... caught signal 11 (segmentation fault). Server aborting.
I am being asked to fix Xserver and then restart MDM.

Any help?
Galen10

Post by Galen10 »

Looks very good so far. I like Mate better than any other Gnome variants. I see Seahorse is missing, I assume it will be added to the final release version .iso - surely everyone will want a GnuPG key manager? It might be a good idea to add Ubuntu One to the release too - it's free and very useful. Startupmanager would be handy too, for those who like tidy Grub screens.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Bob
tomsfeenie

Post by tomsfeenie »

Have been running Maya RC Cinnamon, 32 bit on one machine, 64 bit on another, and WOW! Congrats, and thank you, for such a wonderful OS! Haven't run into a single problem yet! :mrgreen:
MattyC157

Post by MattyC157 »

Using Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit now and it is running great! No issues so far and all applications and drivers are supported and running well!
Good job! :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I installed Linux Mint 13/MATE (64-bit) this morning which replaced the Cinnamon edition and it's running well. I had to change the Ubuntu sources to another mirror before I could update but once that was done, updates downloaded and installed quickly (Ubuntu servers have been dead slow or completely down for more than a few days now).

Very pleased with LM 13 MATE so far. :D

One problem I did run into after todays updates was booting to a blank screen. The MDM login screen appeared for a second and disappeared leaving me nothing but a blank screen with a small dash in the upper left hand corner. Hitting "Ctrl+Alt+F1" brought me to a prompt. After logging in I ran the following:

Code: Select all

sudo service mdm restart
This brought me back to the login screen (which stayed put this time) and I was able to log into the desktop normally. I rebooted twice more and the problem still existed and I had to drop to a prompt and repeat the above procedure. The problem did not occur when simply logging out and logging back into the desktop.

Re-installing "mdm" and "mint-mdm-themes" appears to have fixed the problem.

This problem has only occurred with LM 13 RC MATE so far, all previous editions haven't exhibited this type of problem.

Intel Core2 Quad with 8.0 GB DDR2, Nvida GT 430 w/1.0 GB video memory running the 295 video driver

Update: In case anyone is interested I installed Maya/Cinnamon in another partition this morning and the problem with MDM that I saw in Maya/Mate is not occurring. Heh, of course I have no way of telling if its either the DE version of Maya or that the problem was fixed in the past 24 hours (I recall now it was a known problem). :D
Last edited by kmb42vt on Mon May 21, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

Awesome - I can't wait to try out Maya with MATE DE :wink: , I'm really glad this fork has been given such great development! Thank you so much Mint Team :D !
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

RobertLM78 wrote:Awesome - I can't wait to try out Maya with MATE DE :wink: , I'm really glad this fork has been given such great development! Thank you so much Mint Team :D !
I'm starting to play with MATE on Mint 13 in a virtual machine. I have to say that MATE looks much better in 13 than it did in 12. :) Good job Mint team!!!

However, I think I'm going to stick with Cinnamon when Mint 13 releases.
bwsmith25

Post by bwsmith25 »

kmb42vt wrote:Has anyone else noticed that in LM 13/Cinnamon RC, the volume level reverts back to the default level when you reboot? I keep having to turn the volume back down to a lower level after every boot/reboot.

Also, where are we reporting bugs for this RC? Launchpad (Linux Mint) is rather useless these days (1042 "new" bugs going back to Linux Mint 9?) plus there's no Maya category or tag and Maya RC is not listed in Launchpad's "Advanced search" for Linux Mint so I can't search to see if the bugs I wish to report have already been reported without sifting through pages of old bug reports. There's no place here at the forums to report bugs for RC releases any longer. Is Launchpad really the only place to report bugs?
I'm having the same issue. It's the only problem I've found with the RC so far on my machine so I hope it gets resolved before final release! It's a bug that I can live with but of course I'd like for it to be fixed so I have the perfect distro for my laptop.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

xenopeek wrote:DrTeeth, see moorewarner's comment: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 78#p580635. Apparently there is an issue on the RC of installing Cinnamon on MATE or vice versa :(
I too have installed one on top of the other (both ways), and the only issue that I have is that Mate looks like a standard and old Gnome desktop with the tool bar across the top of my screen so that the clock and date etc is on the top right. I have this on two separate and different PCs. Both desktops do not look like the Mate screenshot here. It looks much more like this, with slightly different (more modern?) icons.

The prompt when I change desktop in MDM is driving me nuts and I would like to turn it off. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

DrTeeth
vrelius

Post by vrelius »

I am currently running Linux Mint 13 RC with Mate on my desktop and laptop and it's been great so far. I like Cinnamon too, but I like Mate a bit more since I always loved Gnome 2 and it's faster than Cinnamon/Gnome 3. Very stable, snappy and just a great experience for me thus far, no problems at all. I just want to give a big thanks to everyone involved, you guys did an absolutely wonderful job on this version of Mint.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Hi everyone.

I am very new to Mint, although I've been using Ubuntu in various guises for many years now. I've decided I don't want the Unity desktop, and plain Pangolin for some reason was causing me problems with slow-downs and freezes, as well as display problems. I've burned disks of both Mint 13 Cinnamon and Mate, and tried them both out. No problems seen so far. I honestly can't decide which desktop I prefer, so I suppose I must test them both a bit longer. So far, I've no problems with Mint at all, and I'm very keen to do a clean install as soon as the final release comes out. I'm currently running Lubuntu, but have decided it's not what I want.

I've just a couple of questions though;

1. Can I run a live session to try, and get read write access to my existing files? How do I do that?
2. When I come to install, can I install one of the desktops and then add the other, so that I can choose at boot time which to load? How would I go about that?
3. If it is possible to have both, which should be loaded first, with the other added afterwards? Would it matter?

Thanks for all the hard work and a splendid result!

Ian
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

DrTeeth
It looks much more like this, with slightly different (more modern?) icons.
I think this is because your old configuration files are kept when you upgrade and it's still using them. It would be nice to have an easy option for wiping Gnome, MATE and Cinammon configuration files. I had a problem with my old setup and tried deleting many different ones but it's hard to get rid of them all, I only got rid of it all when I installed Mint 13/Cinammon (and Nautilus was missing, see earlier post) - perhaps it uses different ones.
Mugabuga

Post by Mugabuga »

When the full version releases, will there be any way to upgrade from the main version Linux Mint 12 to Linux Mint 13 Cinammon?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Notice new builds are in testing
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

Wish I could test them :?:
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Releases & Announcements”