1 frame of residual image / interference on login ?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phill1978

1 frame of residual image / interference on login ?

Post by phill1978 »

a small thing but really annoying.

when logging in to cinnamon (well, it just loads to desktop now) i get 1 frame for about 1 second of static like a residual image before the desktop loads, its like a smeared out and de-interlaced pre-frame before the actual desktop is drawn ?? any ideas, it looks messy. Sometimes its just simular to interfernce on an old tv?

I have a fast enough disc (SSD) and its a fairly bare o/s setup

dont like it and doesnt look good :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phill1978

Re: 1 frame of residual image / interference on login ?

Post by phill1978 »

i have noticed the screen pauses and for a moment i can see the greyish unity bar at the bottom (well.. the bar that used to be at the top with the figure of 8 hotcorner on)

then this gets cleared and in that moment the screen is paused and the refresh is drawn with the cinnamon bar at the top ? i will experiment with changing menu positions and report back
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

changed around a few things, it still does it. really annoying

makes cinnamon feel unstable. It might just be placebo but it feels like the gpu is being taxed more a bit when the menu is at the top of the screen, it feels snappy when its at the bottom?

has anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening? I might add the desktop wallpaper has loaded fine on login with no problems, so has the mouse cursor, its as soon as the cinnamon menu loads that i get this weird pause?

id try screen capture but its not that easy

Edit *

Removed the 'Menu' from the panel / bar and it doesnt do it now ? :? i now get a brief area of white space where docky is about to load but thats no problem

So it seems the interference re-draw , mess up is the cinnamon menu

i kind of use the menu, this is a fault how do i report it?
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

might be the menu is loading then the theme? could be a loading order thing? how can i change when the menu launches (basically tune which applet launches first?)

Return to “Cinnamon”