how to make conky run @ startup under both Cinnamon and MATE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TomRoche

how to make conky run @ startup under both Cinnamon and MATE

Post by TomRoche »

After upgrading UP3->UP4 I note conky runs at startup only under MATE, not Cinnamon. How to make that work for both? I see a description here about making it work under Cinnamon, but I'm still evaluating both desktops.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
azertywarrior12

Re: how to make conky run @ startup under both Cinnamon and

Post by azertywarrior12 »

I can confirm that conky runs fine under Cinnamon just by adding it on the Startup Applications program. Although I did have a small problem because in my conky script I used sudo hddtemp so the script would always fail on start-up (because it would ask for password) then I added hddtemp to the sudo no password list and everything has been working fine.

Are you using any commands which require elevated privileges on your conky script?
äxl

Post by äxl »

Tom, Cinnamon and MATE use different Window Managers. Could be that you have to set up different .conkyrc's as well.
Maybe it is running. Check with System Monitor or in terminal with pgrep.

Depends also on how you start Conky. If you have it in Startup Applications make sure it's not unticked in Cinnamon.
In terminal you could look at ~/.config/autostart/<conky>.desktop and make sure it doesn't contain something like:
OnlyShowIn=MATE;
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false;
etc.
ChickenPie4Tea

Post by ChickenPie4Tea »

I couldnt get it to show up in Cinamon but it runs fine in Mate - I am just sticking with mate it seems to have less quirks for now.
TomRoche

Post by TomRoche »

äxl wrote:In terminal you could look at ~/.config/autostart/<conky>.desktop and make sure it doesn't contain something like:
OnlyShowIn=MATE;
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false;
No: my ~/.config/autostart/conky.desktop has

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/home/me/bin/conky-startup.sh
Hidden=false
NoDisplay=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name[en_US]=conky
Name=conky
Comment[en_US]=desktop system monitor
Comment=desktop system monitor
azertywarrior12

Post by azertywarrior12 »

May I ask what's the content of your conky-startup.sh?

To be honest, I don't think you even need it. This is the content of my conky.desktop shortcut and it works fine under cinnamon. :S

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=conky
Hidden=false
NoDisplay=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name[en_US]=Conky
Name=Conky
Comment[en_US]=Auto run conky
Comment=Auto run conky.
TomRoche

Post by TomRoche »

azertywarrior12 wrote:what's the content of your conky-startup.sh?

#!/bin/bash
# This makes conky 'window' truly transparent when run from Startup Applications.
# Otherwise, window 'has shadow' == {!transparent && alwaysOnTop}
# sleep 10 && conky
sleep 20 && conky
NotoriousPyro

Post by NotoriousPyro »

Sorry for bumping a somewhat old thread but I solved mine by putting the following in /home/<user>/.profile (you could also put it in /etc/profile)

conky -c $HOME/.conky/conky_right&
Where anything after -c points to your conky configuration file (don't forget to put the & or you'll be stuck on a black screen with only Conky).
JeffF73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JeffF73 »

NotoriousPyro wrote:Sorry for bumping a somewhat old thread but I solved mine by putting the following in /home/<user>/.profile (you could also put it in /etc/profile)

conky -c $HOME/.conky/conky_right&
Where anything after -c points to your conky configuration file (don't forget to put the & or you'll be stuck on a black screen with only Conky).
I am using Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 1.8
I used this method but instead of using your Code this is what I used in my .profile

conky -c $HOME/*Username Here*/.conkyrc &
It all depends on what your conky file is named but this method works thank you NotoriousPyro

Return to “LMDE Archive”