Best Linux apps for IT Professionals

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Deldran

Best Linux apps for IT Professionals

Post by Deldran »

I have been trying to look for this kind of stuff for some time now.
Some background on me.
I am a network analyst for a fairly large company. unfortunately we do have some apps that will only run on windows so i will have to make a vm for these apps.
I am a huge linux fan. We use redhat for several servers here, such as domino. web servers so forth.

What i want this thread to be is a place for IT people to post apps that have helped them be able to use linux instead of windows as there operating system.
Some example of stuff i am looking for
Alternitive to ultraedit. i know it runs on linux and i might go ahead and use it. Jedit is great but i miss the built in FTP funcionality and such
A good resource to get seamless RDP to work. i tried this several times when i tried running SuSE as my OS with no sucsess.

I think this weekend i will take the plung again and try to run Mint as my primary OS on my laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Best Linux apps for IT Professionals

Post by xenopeek »

[Moved here by moderator; not a support request.]
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

I use Remmina for my RDP into my Windows Servers.
I use Thunderbird / Davmail / Lightning / Exchange Calendar Sync for my mail on my Exchange Server.
I use VirtualBox with Windows 7 64 bit Professional when I need to run a Windows program.
I setup fstab to map my drives on my Windows Server.
I have used citrix linux package to get into Citrix server. It is not working now and I have forgot how I get it working so I just RDP into the Citrx server.
I use Gedit for most text file work.
I think that about covers what I do.
I have used Putty at times although I rarely have a need for it.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

God, I hate Windows boxen.
I admin all day, every day and have done so for 17 years.
I use OpenSUSE 11.4 w\Xfce 4.8.1 as my Preferred Desktop Environment
What a workhorse. Holding out to the very last minute for the next release!
rdesktop to all my servers without any issue but I prefer scripting things. :) No fancy session managers for me.
As far as "apps that have helped them be able to use linux instead of windows"? Yes, there is at least one...
ToDoList Loved it.
Now I use TaskCoach and it does my Time card.

UltraEdit is darn good software, I'd pay for it if it gedit didn't exist.

I use these:
bash-4.1-20.25.1.i586
MozillaThunderbird-3.1.16-0.19.2.i586
rdesktop-1.6.0-46.47.1.i586
VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.14_77440_openSUSE114-1.i586
Deldran

Post by Deldran »

Now do you try and do any seamless RDP.
I really only have 2 apps i can think of at the moment that have to run on a windows box.
So i will either have to install them on a remote windows box and rdp to them, or run a windows vbox

do you run rdesktop from the command line or just created scripted links on desktop
deleted

Post by deleted »

@Deldran jEdit has an FTP plugin.
-hinto
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Deldran wrote:unfortunately we do have some apps that will only run on windows so i will have to make a vm for these apps.
Why do you use Linux then?

Regarding UltraEdit: bloatware. I'd recommend you to have a look at Sublime Text 2 which can do similar things with a better GUI.
Deldran

Re: Re: Best Linux apps for IT Professionals

Post by Deldran »

/dev/urandom wrote:
Deldran wrote:unfortunately we do have some apps that will only run on windows so i will have to make a vm for these apps.
Why do you use Linux then?

Regarding UltraEdit: bloatware. I'd recommend you to have a look at Sublime Text 2 which can do similar things with a better GUI.
Because I want to learn Linux and the best way to learn it is to use it. I am by no means a guru but I have a working knowledge of Linux.

That and I am just tired of windows

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

/dev/urandom wrote:...I'd recommend you to have a look at Sublime Text 2 which can do similar things with a better GUI.
You are my hero. Map Props for this wonderful tool.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

No problem. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”