HDMI + VGA + LVDS in Linux Mint Debian XFCE 64bit?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hyoumoku

HDMI + VGA + LVDS in Linux Mint Debian XFCE 64bit?

Post by hyoumoku »

My laptop is Acer AS572-7652, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5-460M dual-core processor with Intel HD Graphics (ATI as I can tell). The OS I am using is Linux Mint Debian XFCE 64bit.

Anyway, I'm trying to enable my laptop monitor (LVDS) with an external VGA monitor and an HDMI TV. Used xrandr but it can only enable only two monitors at a time.

Is there a way where I can enable it to have three monitors at the same time? If it is possible, would it be alright to ask how to do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HDMI + VGA + LVDS in Linux Mint Debian XFCE 64bit?

Post by dritzominous »

3 monitors? I've never tried that one.

Have you tried just using "Display" settings in the xfce4-settings-manager?

That always works for me when connecting to my TV via HDMI.
hyoumoku

Post by hyoumoku »

I forgot to mention I did try that. Problem is the same though, I can only use 2 monitors at a time. And in the end, I have to use xrandr again so that it won't be a two monitors that has the same output.

I read somewhere that it is only possible to have two monitors at the same time, but that post was like 4 years ago so I'm not sure if that is reliable so I asked here.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

If have manual...

check in the video section? Most video chips only support a limited amount and types of monitors!

I had a laptop that had external HDMI and DVI besides the VGA, But I could use the VGA with either but not the DVI and HDMI together (only 1 digital monitior allowed.
ALSO had a more recent AMD card with both VGA, DVI and HDMI out but again the manual stated can"t be used together, only any two (2) at a time together (although could use DVI and HDMI together on this one) :D

J.Jay

P.S. had that card and a second (2nd) card in a box and ran 3 monitors (1 of 3 was DVI) and a HDMI TV. But my CPU was not fast enough to run all four at a good speed together (ran 1 or 2 good while others hooked-up but disabled thou (XFCE) :lol:
hyoumoku

Post by hyoumoku »

jjaythomas wrote:check in the video section? Most video chips only support a limited amount and types of monitors!
Sorry for asking a stupid question but how I will check the video section? I'm still not used to Xfce since I just switched from GNOME ^^;;

Thanks!
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

How about you just give us the output of:

Code: Select all

lspci
hyoumoku

Post by hyoumoku »

lspci gave me these:

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 05)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Sorry if unclear...

Meant any manual that came with the laptop! Most hardware limitations are the same on MSWindows and Linux.

Since you mentioned Gnome, did you have working on gnome?

J.Jay

Edit ussually to have 2 monitor with different output you need to use 'xinerama' (spelling?) package.
hyoumoku

Post by hyoumoku »

Meant any manual that came with the laptop! Most hardware limitations are the same on MSWindows and Linux.
Ah. I don't think I still have the manual. Though I have to check where I put it. Simple google search of my laptop won't give me stuff for manual, etc. The official site doesn't also include some pdf manual either. I'll probably email the manufacturer themselves to ask.

And yeah, was a GNOME user but I'm fully switching to Xfce or LXDE since it is rather painful to use GNOME3. I'll have to wait until GNOME stabilizes or something.

Thanks!
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Had working in Gnome2??

I can't find pdf/manual online for it either. :(

Did you have all 3 monitors working at same time on Gnome?

Can't say specifically but most Intel chips only allow 1VGA,1VGA plus digital (DVI or HDMI are both digital) or 2VGA's, internal plus external (usually for projector hook-up).
With some docks (my ThinkPad does) you can have 3 monitors (only 1 digital at time thou). :)

I believe it"s cause they only support 2 video channels :oops:

J.Jay
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

yes, it's a hardware limitation, commonly found on graphics cards. geforce gtx 580 had the same problem for instance. AMD radeon, from the hd 5000 series onwards, geforce gtx 600 series (not low end 610, 620 etc.) do support three displays or more.

as for Intel it's a new feature of the ivy bridge processor (which has integrated graphics), that would mean getting a new laptop - and checking it's actually wired for three displays.

your hardware is just not wired in any to support three displays at once.
your only option is a USB graphics card (unless you have an expresscard port). it's affordable, and should be rather slow, it's meant for showing presentations and the like. I've checked the price and it's much cheaper than before, used to be 100 euros or dollars, I've seen one at 43 dollars.
but no idea if it's supported by linux, and if it is, you might have to craft a custom /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. especially, unplugging / plugging it may be totally disastrous :D. I'm sure the whole graphical system never was thought with removable graphics cards in mind.

but maybe I'm overly pessimistic.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Theirs also some universal docks (type that plug into 1USB port) that have video out (mostly VGA, but have seen a HDMI one)
They have a built in video card I guess.

BUT most comments state they run painfully slow (good for business slideshow stuff ect. only) :cry:

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”