Is it possible to run Maya Cinnamon within WUBI?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaComboMan

Is it possible to run Maya Cinnamon within WUBI?

Post by DaComboMan »

For some reason, i can't install (dual-boot Maya Cinnamon) with my Windows 7 Home Ed.

Is it possible to run Maya Cinnamon within WUBI which runs just fine for me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Is it possible to run Maya Cinnamon within WUBI?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, DaComboMan.

Which edition of Linux Mint 13 are you trying to install on your Windows 7 partition with the help of Wubi (mint4win)? A 32-bit edition or a 64-bit edition?
In case, the answer is a 32-bit edition, then please check out the Linux Mint 13 release notes which bluntly state that the Wubi installer mint4win cannot be used to install Linux Mint 13 32-bit. The 64-bit version can be installed this way, however. No workaround or solution offered currently.
In case, the answer is a 64-bit edition, then inside Windows go to your "%temp%" folder, locate the Wubi installation logfile and post it here, so that we will have a chance of finding out why Wubi (mint4win) fails.

A note on Wubi / Windows / Mint in general:
You do not run Mint inside Wubi. Wubi (mint4win) is used to install Mint from inside Windows.
What the Wubi installer does is this: it will create a large root.disk file on the existing Windows NTFS filesystem (and a swap partition file as well).
This root.disk file will internally be formatted as a Linux EXT4 filesystem.
Wubi will install Mint on this EXT4 filesystem.
Finally Wubi will add Mint to the Windows boot menu so that you can decide on each reboot whether you want to work with Windows or with Mint.

Note:
In case there is already another Wubi Linux installation present on your current Windows 7 system, you will not be able to add a second Wubi installed Linux system.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Is this what you mean?

-Mint4win
When installing Linux Mint with mint4win, choose loop0 for both the target partition and the grub destination.
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php

How do i do that?

Here's what i get when trying to install with .iso burned to DVD/R
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9by9b5f8w272 ... .47.02.jpg
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, DaComboMan.
Is this what you mean?
No, it is not. Please, cf. the relevant quote from the release notes here.
How do i do that?
I do not think that you will have to tell mint4win this during a normal Wubi installation. Past default Linux Mint mint4win/ Ubuntu Wubi installations all chose /dev/loop0 automatically where appropriate.
Here's what i get when trying to install with .iso burned to DVD/R
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9by9b5f8w272 ... .47.02.jpg
Telling from the error message I'd say that you are trying to perform a mint4win installation of a Mint 13 32-bit edition. Currently this is not feasible. Currently mint4win only supports installing Mint 13 64-bit.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, DaComboMan.

Some additional information and a correction related to details which were found out when performing
  • a (failed) mint4win installation of Mint 13 "Maya" 32-bit - Cinnamon Desktop
  • a successful mint4win installation of Mint 13 "Maya" 64-bit - Cinnamon Desktop
The failed mint4win installation of Mint 13 "Maya" 32-bit - Cinnamon Desktop:
It failed here in the same way as illustrated in your screenshot.
The error situation and the error messages strongly suggest that the source of the problem is not the Wubi installer mint4win.exe, but that one of two lupin layers is missing from the initrd.lz file which is started after the first reboot at the beginning of the second installation phase.
A mint4win installation depends on two lupin packages: lupin support in order to mount the squashfs file system inside the ISO file plus the casper lupin support in order to be able to launch the Mint system inside the installation.iso at the beginning of the second installation phase.
I tend to assume that the casper lupin support has either been forgotten completely or has not been activated. Sorry, I was too lazy to crosscheck with the functioning 64-bit initrd.lz later on.

The successful mint4win installation of Mint 13 "Maya" 64-bit - Cinnamon Desktop
DaComboMan wrote:-Mint4win
When installing Linux Mint with mint4win, choose loop0 for both the target partition and the grub destination.
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php
My previous answer that mint4win should automatically choose /dev/loop0 during the second installation phase provided you performed a default installation proved to be incorrect! :oops:
The installation programme will explicitly ask you to select available devices for both the target partition (root.disk) and the grub destination.
At this point in time, however, two loop devices are in use by the Mint 13 64-bit installation: /dev/loop0 and /dev/loop1. Neither of the two can or should be selected.
Instead I selected /dev/loop2 for both the target partition (root.disk) and the grub destination.
Doing so seems to have had no negative side effect. The installation proceeded and succeeded.

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
Empu

Post by Empu »

karlchen wrote:The successful mint4win installation of Mint 13 "Maya" 64-bit - Cinnamon Desktop
My previous answer that mint4win should automatically choose /dev/loop0 during the second installation phase provided you performed a default installation proved to be incorrect! :oops:
The installation programme will explicitly ask you to select available devices for both the target partition (root.disk) and the grub destination.
At this point in time, however, two loop devices are in use by the Mint 13 64-bit installation: /dev/loop0 and /dev/loop1. Neither of the two can or should be selected.
Instead I selected /dev/loop2 for both the target partition (root.disk) and the grub destination.
Doing so seems to have had no negative side effect. The installation proceeded and succeeded.
Great! I just found the answer I've been looking for since last Friday :) So THAT is how you do that "choose loop0" part. I don't really know why loop0 means selecting loop2 as you say, but whatever, if it works then I'm fine with it! I'll most definitely try it once I'm home... still have a long day ahead of me :lol:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Empu.

Identifying /dev/loop2 as the correct targets for root.disk and for the Grub loader was pretty simple:
+ Inside a terminal window the "mount" command revealed that /dev/loop0 and /dev/loop1 were in use and already mounted on some folders.
+ GParted displayed the filename root.disk next to /dev/loop2. So /dev/loop2 had to be the right choice.
+ The release notes state that Grub should be installed to the same device as root.disk. So again /dev/loop2 had to be the right choice.

Kind regards and good luck,
Karl
--
Corrected two typing errors.
Last edited by karlchen on Mon May 28, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lifeline
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

So, if my understanding is correct, this loop1,2,3 business works only for .64bit and not .32bit?
Empu

Post by Empu »

DaComboMan wrote:So, if my understanding is correct, this loop1,2,3 business works only for .64bit and not .32bit?
I'd suppose so, considering this "loop business" is for when you're installing Mint with mint4win, which only works with the 64-bit version according to the release notes. Does it also apply if you use WUBI instead of mint4win? No clue :(

karlchen wrote:Hello, Empu.

Identifying /dev/loop2 as the correct targets for root.disk and for the Grubd loader was pertty simple:
+ Inside a terminal window the "mount" command revealed that /dev/loop0 and /dev/loop1 were in use and already mounted on some folders.
+ GParted displayed the filename root.disk next to /dev/loop2. So /dev/loop2 had to be the right choice.
+ The release notes state that Grub should be installed to the same device as root.disk. So again /dev/loop2 had to be the right choice.

Kind regards and good luck,
Karl
So that's why loop2 is the choosen one then. Once again, thanks a lot for the help and information!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

DaComboMan wrote:So, if my understanding is correct, this loop1,2,3 business works only for .64bit and not .32bit?
Not confirmed. 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Mint and Ubuntu can use loop devices.
Lifeline
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

It seems that Cinnamon can be installed within Ubuntu:
http://www.howtogeek.com/103691/install ... on-ubuntu/

Nothing to lose !

Update: close but no cigar!
Took a picture of the error message which is much similar to one posted on LH's blog.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2gy18pv1v1tq ... .13.18.jpg
(excuse me for overlapping of commands).
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<offtopic>

Hello, DaComboMan.

I am starting to wonder why you use your camera and take pictures of your monitor in order to post screenshots here? :?
In case the errors which you wish to show to us occur at boot time taking a picture of the physical monitor will be your only chance. Admitted.
Yet, as soon as you have got a at minimum a live session, there are easier ways of getting screenshots:
  • In case you wish to take a screenshot of graphical programme you can press the key <PrintScreen>. This should bring up a dialogue which allows you to save the screenshot to a file. Quite handy for uploading such a screenshot here later on.
  • In case you are using terminal windows - and you are, your photo tells us so - you can mark the relevant parts of the screen ouput with your mouse, select Edit => Copy to clipboard (or press <Ctrl>C), open a text editor, paste the content of the clipboard there (<Ctrl>V) and again save it to a file. Quite handy for uploading screen output here later on.
In short words: if you know how to get screenshots on Windows, then you know how to do so on Linux as well. Windows and Linux are different, yet, sometimes very close to each other. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl

</offtopic>
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, DaComboMan.
Took a picture of the error message which is much similar to one posted on LH's blog.
In both cases, yours and the one posted in the blog comments, I wonder whether you have somehow disallowed atp-get to download and install dependent packages automatically provided they are not present on the local machine, yet.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Karl,

Sorry about the pictures, but on installation process, is there another way?

I've installed LinuxMint in the past without any issues.
In fact, i had installed Lisa LXDE the other day (boy was it fast!).
Could i upgrade to LM13 Cinnamon from there? Hum...

Things just don't work out with 13.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

DaComboMan wrote:It seems that Cinnamon can be installed within Ubuntu:
http://www.howtogeek.com/103691/install ... on-ubuntu/

Nothing to lose !

Update: close but no cigar!
(excuse me for overlapping of commands).
This isn't correct anymore - merlwiz79 stopped updating the ppa a long time ag. Now to install Cinnamon on Ubuntu do this-

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
This opens up gedit, which is a text editor, with root privileges, which are needed to edit your list of repositories (which is what the sources.list file is).
Add the following line to the bottom of the file:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ maya main upstream import
This adds the linux mint repo to your Ubuntu system. Save the file and go back to the terminal.
Run

sudo apt-get udpate
This updates your package list
Then run

sudo apt-get install linuxmint-keyring
Enter y when asked y/n. This allows you to install files from the linux mint repo.
Run this in the terminal again

sudo apt-get update
This allows it to find all of the packages from the repos.
Then install Cinnamon this way -

sudo apt-get install cinnamon
Log out, and Cinnamon should be in the drop down menu. If you want other Linux Mint files (like the update manager, the software center, etc).

Edited to be clearer.
Edited again to add 2 "sudo apt-get update"s
Last edited by cwwgateway on Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

DaComboMan wrote:Sorry about the pictures, but on installation process, is there another way?
I thought I had explained how to create screenshots on a running Linx system. :?
Lifeline
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

karlchen wrote:
DaComboMan wrote:Sorry about the pictures, but on installation process, is there another way?
I thought I had explained how to create screenshots on a running Linx system. :?
Yes Karl you did (which i appreciate!) but you also stated:
"In case the errors which you wish to show to us occur at boot time taking a picture of the physical monitor will be your only chance. Admitted."

At least I'm not the only one in the same predicament!
Unfortunately there aren't many people who posted on the blog that confirm or deny their problems (or absence of).
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

I realize that I may be reviving an old thread, yet, I thought it still lacks a happy end:
DaComboMan wrote:For some reason, i can't install (dual-boot Maya Cinnamon) with my Windows 7 Home Ed.
Is it possible to run Maya Cinnamon within WUBI which runs just fine for me?
OK, so here is the happy end of how to perform a Linux Mint 32-bit Mint4win installation successfully ... :
Basically, there are 2 options: either do it manually or get hold of Breaker's corrected ISO-download-file. :wink:

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

karlchen,

A bit late in the game!
I visited your post but am also slow to post...
Presently working on Windows7 .64bit so i should be able to install Cinnamon (my fav) and dual boot.

Update:
Had installed Cinnamon via Virtual Clone Drive and it was behaving grudgingly (even with updates etc.).
Decided to give Maya a spin (always on .64bit) and it surprised me!
Much lighter and faster than Cinnamon or Ubuntu WUBI :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”