Why not only debian based releases.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ptomasroos

Why not only debian based releases.

Post by ptomasroos »

Why does Linux Mint release their distros on Ubuntu, what benefits does it give?
Ubuntu is not close to being as stable as debian, if there were no debian there would be no ubuntu.
Isn't it a risk being based on ubuntu ?

As i see it, LM is exactly what debian needs in form of a DE dist.
I'm running LMDE Xfce and its how it should be! And most important binary comp with debian.

Ubuntu is mainly about services and UI, and LM has its own idea of UI so i can't really see the reason for being based on Ubuntu instead of Debian.
I would like to see only debian based images in the near future.

It's what debian needs and lm in terms of basing on stable system. Everyone almost knows that the Debian stable is more stable then most Ubuntu releases.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Why not only debian based releases.

Post by dagon »

Welcome to the Linuxmint Forum!

Every distro is a compromise. I don't think it matters that much to most people what a distro is based on. My personal need from an OS is that it 1. installs 2. is mostly free software. That's about it... but I've recently realised that my own biggest need from a distro is a working forum. That is where Mint has delivered and why I've chosen to help out here myself. I'm curious to check out Debian and LMDE but haven't had the time.
Isn't it a risk being based on ubuntu ?
If they would keep pushing out releases like Oneiric? Yes. But if you base your distro on another distro then you have to live with what happens upstream be it Ubuntu, Debian or whatever you chose. Ubuntu works and the next release looks like it's going to be solid. And with increased support time.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

LinuxMint 'main editions' is based on the corresponding releases from Ubuntu.
LMDE (Mint's Debian Edition) is based on Debian's Testing branch and not on Debian 'stable'

Debian 'stable' is more stable that ALL Ubuntu releases, as Ubuntu is loosely based on Debian 'unstable'

The LMDE version of Mint is still a new project and is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds.
Expect to see more concerning a 'true' Rolling Release of Mint from the Mint Devs in the near future.
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Expect to see more concerning a 'true' Rolling Release of Mint from the Mint Devs in the near future.
Where does this information come from?
ptomasroos

Post by ptomasroos »

vrkalak wrote:LinuxMint 'main editions' is based on the corresponding releases from Ubuntu.
LMDE (Mint's Debian Edition) is based on Debian's Testing branch and not on Debian 'stable'

Debian 'stable' is more stable that ALL Ubuntu releases, as Ubuntu is loosely based on Debian 'unstable'

The LMDE version of Mint is still a new project and is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds.
I really hope that.
And therefore i was just questioning what the benefits is when choosing to base mint on ubuntu instead of debian when ubuntu is mainly about front-end user-interface.
Which much of mints goal of ease is also about. It seems that we can get a better dist with just debian + mint magic, without having to use ubuntu.

I mean the eco system of debian is huge which everyone of course knows.
I cant see a reason why ubuntu would even exist if mint switches to debian as the standard for all editions.

I would at least love to see all editions of mint being based on debian, its faster, gives the oppertunity to be more stable, less dependent on another level, rolling release which is awesome.
There is much to say
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

mint debian is a rolling release, with a need for huge updates when you've just installed it. and there's no mint squeeze.

mint ubuntu only has security updates and stays the same when you get back to it a year later. if you installed mint debian gnome you're in for a clusterfsck when it updates to gnome 3 and leaves you with a totally different desktop environment.

the ubuntu ecosystem is great too with thousands of software and ppas.
I'd say, why not get rid of the ubuntu version. but then you would need more frequent debian iso respins, lxde (or other) version and do a mint stable wheezy for people who don't wish their OS and software updated to something different every two monthes.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

ptomasroos wrote:I cant see a reason why ubuntu would even exist if mint switches to debian as the standard for all editions.
Since when does Ubuntu's existence depend on Linux Mint???

Obviously there are a lot of benefits to basing Mint on Ubuntu, or else Clem wouldn't have built this great distro by doing exactly that.

If anything, I'd like to see a version of Mint based on Debian Stable. The Testing-based LMDE doesn't appeal to me; for "rolling-release," I'd rather go with PCLOS.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

I've been running LMDE based on Stable for quite some time now. It's really as simple as pointing your sources to the squeeze repos. You have to start with an older LMDE iso though. I use the 201101 version from when squeeze was testing. It's a super distro!

My sources.list for LMDE-Squeeze

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport romeo
deb http://debian.mirror.frontiernet.net/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.mirror.frontiernet.net/debian squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze main non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze-backports main
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

Something else to consider is that a Debian-based release would lost compatibility with ppa repos, which host a TON of newbie-friendly software. A lot of stuff on teh interwebz is made to work with Ubuntu but not necessarily with other linux flavors (granted they'd probably work, but still)
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

dalcde wrote:A short answer would be that LMDE is not really ready enough. It is not as polished as Main Mint, and some packages (e.g. wine) are not present.
I agree. Although still a noob, I've tried ca. 20 Linux distros during the past two years and have only had major difficulty running Debian (live CD, Virtual Box, and HDD install ) and LMDE (Virtual Box). In both cases, from my perspective, the GUI installer needs a LOT of improvement. If I can't get a distro to work even in live CD or Virtual Box, I'm very unlikely to waste more time to try an actual install. I don't mind tweaking settings to get things like WLAN, sound, printers, etc. to work properly, if need be, but there's a limit to my patience. Like many people, I want my distro to just work so I can work. Perhaps neither Debian or LMDE work well with iMacs or MacBooks, but, so far, Linux Mint main editions from 9 onward have worked pretty much right out of the box. I've also been happy with other versions of Mint such as openbox/lxde, Xfce, and even KDE (on the laptop). In short, I can live with any version of Mint, but if LMDE were my only choice, I'd move on to another distro. :(
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

When the Devs announced that there was going to be a Debian based release there were many protests, some well thought out others not so much. My comment at that time was that the people who do the work get to make the calls as to what happens with their time and efforts. It seemed fair at the time and seems fair now too. By the way I really agree with your DE choice on a Debian base, its what is on my main box. :D
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

@3fRI

You may consider SolusOS which is based upon debian stable with up to date applications. The installer is very easy to follow and there is also an installer for video drivers. I absolutely love it so far :wink:
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

z06gal wrote:@3fRI

You may consider SolusOS which is based upon debian stable with up to date applications. The installer is very easy to follow and there is also an installer for video drivers. I absolutely love it so far :wink:
Did the 64 bit release get released yet?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

monkeyboy wrote:

Yes and it is excellent really! Runs like a dream :wink:
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

z06gal wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

Yes and it is excellent really! Runs like a dream :wink:
Time to do a little downloading.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Thanks, Monkeyboy, I may try Solus in Virtual Box. I find that especially my iMac seems allergic to anything Debian, but Debian 6.0.5 runs fine on the MacBook, as does CrunchBang, which also runs fine on the iMac. LMDE won't run on either because the install GUI keeps asking for a root partition but then won't let me set one up! :roll:
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Update: I've tried Solus on Virtual Box. Ironically, I couldn't run it on the MacBook because it wouldn't recognize the keyboard for some reason. It runs on the iMac, but I couldn't perform a virtual install--same problems as with the LMDE gui installer. Running it live, I couldn't get online. My question at this point is why go with a Debian-base distro when you can just stick with Debian? I think that's what I'd do if I were more inclined to perpetual tinkering. :wink:

Meanwhile, Linux Mint Main Edition with Cinnamon is not only beautiful, but also runs very fast on my iMac. And Mint LXDE is my favorite Mint flavor for the MacBook, but Xfce would be a viable alternative. In sum, I'll stick with what I have for the time being. :D
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

@Monkeyboy,

I did a fresh install of the SolusOS 1.1 that was released today and it is simply outstanding. I believe it is definitely a keeper. Give it a look :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

just a kind reminder to stick to the topic please 8)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”