Windows opening in top left

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
QuantumWizard

Windows opening in top left

Post by QuantumWizard »

I hope this is in the correct place. I'm using LMDE but I installed XFCE4 on it and use it as my desktop. Whenever I open a window it will open in the top left hand corner of the screen. If I move it and open it again it will still open in the top left. I've rebooted the machine, restated Linux etc. but it still follows this behavior. If there's any config information you require let me know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Windows opening in top left

Post by jjaythomas »

in XFCE4...
there is a tab in setting>window manager tweaks called 'placement', set size of window (I like smallish ones) and check 'at the center of the screen'.

If not it maybe a bug related to nautilus (The Gnome File manager) in LMDE-XFCE, you can safely delete 'nautilus' others have stated :o

J.Jay
QuantumWizard

Post by QuantumWizard »

Okay I followed your instructions including putting the slider to the bottom and it still isn't working :(

I also played with "under the mouse pointer" but that did the same thing.
I uninstalled nautilus but I'm using Thunar so I don't think it made a difference.

EDIT: Okay moved the slider more to the right, now the windows are opening in the center of the screen :)
I'd like them to open where they were last time, but this is fine.

Thanks for your help!
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

sorry I was kinda unclear...
I meant thhe slider more toward the small side, not all the way. :oops: (thats why I said smallish all way I think disables feature)

P.S. nautilus is installed in LMDE-XFCE for some reason, even if using Thunar people are having trouble with walpapers, icons and other desktop features of XFCE (xfwm).

You can read other posts in this (XFCE) forum to see what to watch for. :wink:

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”