Some questions on LMDE 201109 UP4

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
IRQ

Some questions on LMDE 201109 UP4

Post by IRQ »

Hi everybody!

I'm rather new to Linux yet I've being using LMDE for some time by now. And now I have some questions that are annoying me very much:

1) Can I see keyboard layout on login screen? I have default login screen. When I boot my system i don't see what language is chosen. So I don't know wheter my password is correct and I have to try it. If it fails I need to change layout and try again. And this is not the solution - sometimes the reason of a problem is that I entered invalid password but using the correct layout. Sometimes entering password can take a long time as I have to guess the correct layout and password.

Can I change any settings to fix this? Probably GNome settings or something else?
2) After I started using LMDE at work I have to lock the system when I go home. When I arrive at work and try to login again it fails! I see login screen, even see keyboard layout (language). I enter my password and it does not login! It always says password is incorrect. The only solution is to select "Switch user" and login to my session again but using default login screen. It works. However see problem #1 - I don't see keyboard layout. It is annoying very much - I can't unlock my system.

I'm using LMDE 2009 x64 (as far as I understand it is a previous release of LDME) with Update Pack 4. I have GNome 3 (from UP4). My workstation is a laptop HP Compaq 6710b.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: Some questions on LMDE 2009 UP4

Post by äxl »

IRQ wrote:1) Can I see keyboard layout on login screen? I have default login screen. When I boot my system i don't see what language is chosen.
MDM: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1979
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=100141
2) After I started using LMDE at work I have to lock the system when I go home.
:? What!? Shutdown not working?
IRQ

Post by IRQ »

Thanks, I'll read those posts.

Regarding locking I wanted to say that I do not shutdown my laptop. I just lock it. But when I come next morning I can't unlock my laptop as my password is always incorrect. I see layout, I can change it from "ru" to "en" and vice versa. But it does not help. I'm sure I enter correct password, moreover my password contains only numbers and latin letters. Yet I can't login. I can't unlock. I have to click "Switch user" button. There I see my session, I select it and login for the 2nd time to say so. This is the only way I can return to my locked sysem.

By the way I told you the wrong version of ny Mint. I also have LMDE 201109 - UP4, not 2009.
äxl

Post by äxl »

Just shutdown. What's the problem with that?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

The keyboard layout, langauage locales is decided at installation

It maybe that part of the selection has no locale (ru) translation available, so it is unrecognized or defaults to English
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en. ... 06s03.html
  • 6.3.1.3. Choosing a Keyboard
    Keyboards are often tailored to the characters used in a language. Select a layout that conforms to the keyboard you are using, or select something close if the keyboard layout you want isn't represented. Once the system installation is complete, you'll be able to select a keyboard layout from a wider range of choices (run kbd-config as root after you have completed the installation).
And you should carefully check
  • Language settings
  • Locales in use
  • Keyboard that is selected
And when you are using ru (Russian) are the menus, screens applications and keyboard entries working correctly (as you would expect!)
IRQ

Post by IRQ »

The problem is thah I don't need shutdown :) I haven't configured VPN and remote access yet. But I usually don't shutdown my laptop as sometimes I nedd access to it.

Besides I think it's a problem and I'd like to know whether there is a solution. Obviuosly I can use locking not only at work :) But I do not want to have such problems.
IRQ

Post by IRQ »

DrHu wrote:The keyboard layout, langauage locales is decided at installation

It maybe that part of the selection has no locale (ru) translation available, so it is unrecognized or defaults to English
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en. ... 06s03.html
  • 6.3.1.3. Choosing a Keyboard
    Keyboards are often tailored to the characters used in a language. Select a layout that conforms to the keyboard you are using, or select something close if the keyboard layout you want isn't represented. Once the system installation is complete, you'll be able to select a keyboard layout from a wider range of choices (run kbd-config as root after you have completed the installation).
And you should carefully check
  • Language settings
  • Locales in use
  • Keyboard that is selected
And when you are using ru (Russian) are the menus, screens applications and keyboard entries working correctly (as you would expect!)
I installed my language. Either during installation or later I do not remember excatly. But I installed it. I do not have problems with localization. Applications work fine. At least I haven't faced such problem anywhere so far. Only in unlock screen.
äxl

Post by äxl »

IRQ wrote:I haven't configured VPN and remote access yet. But I usually don't shutdown my laptop as sometimes I nedd access to it.
Oh, not your money, right?
IRQ

Re: Some questions on LMDE 201109 UP4

Post by IRQ »

Do you mean whether I'm afraid or not that my laptop will be stolen? Not really. I do not bother about this. Besides if I take my laptop at home this won't solve the problem :)
IRQ

Post by IRQ »

Hi! I have not read my own post for a long time :-[

So. Regarding language in the login screen - as far as I understand the advice is to change login manager? Is this the only option? I have not tried it actually. Yet I'd like to know wheter there is another solution.

I know that default language is English so far. So I just enter password without changing layout and rely on default language.

Regarding entering password after locking - I also have not solved this problem. I can not enter password after unlocking my laptop. The only option is calling "Switch user" dialog and selecting my active (locked) session.

Eventually i'm thinking about reinstalling Linux Mint. I have not decided what to install yet - Mint 13 or Debian 2012. Probably reinstalling will solve my problems. Also I want to reinstall OS because after I have installed UP4 I have not got updates for several months. This upsets me :)

I like for some unknown reasons KDE (actually when I began to become acquainted with Linux I installed Ubuntu on my wife's laptop as it was considered to be one of the most simpe and user-frienldy distrs and Kubuntu on my laptop so as to have something similar but at the same time not to have 2 similar distrs :) ). So what about Mint KDE? Is it a good alternative for Kubuntu? I have Kubuntu installed on my desktop at home and it's working fine enough thoug it is a bit buggy :)
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

IRQ wrote:Hi! I have not read my own post for a long time :-[

So. Regarding language in the login screen - as far as I understand the advice is to change login manager? Is this the only option? I have not tried it actually. Yet I'd like to know wheter there is another solution.

I know that default language is English so far. So I just enter password without changing layout and rely on default language.

Regarding entering password after locking - I also have not solved this problem. I can not enter password after unlocking my laptop. The only option is calling "Switch user" dialog and selecting my active (locked) session.

Eventually i'm thinking about reinstalling Linux Mint. I have not decided what to install yet - Mint 13 or Debian 2012. Probably reinstalling will solve my problems. Also I want to reinstall OS because after I have installed UP4 I have not got updates for several months. This upsets me :)

I like for some unknown reasons KDE (actually when I began to become acquainted with Linux I installed Ubuntu on my wife's laptop as it was considered to be one of the most simpe and user-frienldy distrs and Kubuntu on my laptop so as to have something similar but at the same time not to have 2 similar distrs :) ). So what about Mint KDE? Is it a good alternative for Kubuntu? I have Kubuntu installed on my desktop at home and it's working fine enough thoug it is a bit buggy :)
for a debian based kde try http://www.mepis.org/ they released a version based on wheezy which you can get at http://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/released look for thje 11.9.60 iso file
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cpatrick08 wrote: for a debian based kde try http://www.mepis.org/ they released a version based on wheezy which you can get at http://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/released look for thje 11.9.60 iso file
or you can stay "in tha house" and try the unofficial lmde kde it's an amazing implementation i can tell you :wink:
IRQ

Post by IRQ »

I decided to install a common distr of MInt 13 with Cinnamon. Looks pretty enough.

New MDM doest not show current language either but I got used to it :) Also I have to enter username manully. Probably it depends on settings, I have not investigated this yet.

The problem with unlocking seems to be solved for me. At least I tried to unlock my laptop just after installing Mint and it worked. Will try this tomorrow.

Return to “LMDE Archive”