GTK Applications in KDE and the Package Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
w20046ps1

GTK Applications in KDE and the Package Manager

Post by w20046ps1 »

1. The gtk applications in KDE seem to look butt-ugly in my Linux Mint 13 even if I already installed oxygen-gtk. I don't know what else to do... Even Clementine looks like it came from Windows 98!
2. I got KDE here at Linux MInt 13 by installing kde-full at Synaptic. There are numerous applications I want to remove, but the kde-full metapackage will be removed as well. Will KDE be removed if I decide to follow through?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BostonPeng

Re: GTK Applications in KDE and the Package Manager

Post by BostonPeng »

Your timing is pretty good, w20046ps1. I just got kde-gtk-config built and installed and wrote a blog post about how to do it. That will get you a more useful KDE config screen in System Settings so you can prettify GTK apps a little under KDE.

[HOWTO] Hate the ugly way GTK apps look in KDE? Add KDE-GTK Configuration to System Settings

(Edited 9 Oct to update the link to the post on my new Linux specific blog)
Last edited by BostonPeng on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

w20046ps1 wrote:1. The gtk applications in KDE seem to look butt-ugly in my Linux Mint 13 even if I already installed oxygen-gtk. I don't know what else to do... Even Clementine looks like it came from Windows 98!
Clementine is a Qt based app, not GTK.

perhaps your install is not good. :-)
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

1. I have the same problem. You need to install gtk-theme-switch2, run it and select oxygen-gtk. GTK2 apps will look native.
For GTK3 apps: Go to yourhome/.config/gtk-3.0 (if it doesn't exist, create it). Create a file named "settings.ini" and edit it like this:

Code: Select all

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name = oxygen-gtk
gtk-fallback-icon-theme = gnome
# next option is applicable only if selected theme supports it
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = false
# set font name and dimension
gtk-font-name = Droid Sans 10
Feel free to change the fonts!

2. You can remove this package. It won't affect anything on your system.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I created a symlink like dvchench suggested (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=48790):

Code: Select all

ln ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 ~/.gtkrc-2.0
This seems to work on the unofficial LMDE KDE.
pslim940

Post by pslim940 »

I tried all of the above before, and still had some GTK appearance issues. Then, I installed the LXDE appearance app to change the look, also ran it with kdesudo to change the look of synaptic. That gave me the best results. Not sure why Clementine is messed up though, it's not GTK.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Not sure why Clementine is messed up though, it's not GTK.
For Qt apps, try installing "qt4-qtconfig" and run the app "qtconfig-qt4" and check the theming in there. Qt apps have setups that can be independent of KDE.

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Software & Applications”