Enabling Compiz in Mate

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mark1mint

Enabling Compiz in Mate

Post by mark1mint »

Hi ,I'm trying Mint Debian mostly using the Mate desktop (Cinnamon is proving to be too buggy at the moment on my computer),I have the fglrx driver installed through synaptic,and Compiz plugins also installed,but no matter what effect I select in the Compiz control panel,I get nothing,no wobbly windows,no desktop expo,nothing .Clearly I must be missing something stupid,can you please point me in the right direction?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Darcy

Re: Enabling Compiz in Mate

Post by Darcy »

try entering this in a Terminal Window, then try compiz.

Code: Select all

compiz --replace
deviceguru

Post by deviceguru »

I tried that suggestion and, although it does enable compiz, CPU utilization immediately jumps to about 70 percent from less than 10 percent when compiz starts.
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nuts2u »

Open a terminal and type the following command:

killall -9 marco

Then press the enter key. This will allow your cpu utilization to drop down quite a bit.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Darcy wrote:try entering this in a Terminal Window, then try compiz.

compiz --replace
That half worked,as compiz was started as window manager,and its effects kinda worked,but the terminal got stuck on some operation while enabling plugins or something like that,and the new settings didn't stick:upon logging out and then back in,or rebooting,compiz was disabled again.
I kinda fixed it following this advice
in a terminal type “mateconf-editor”
When the editor opens:
Go to /desktop/mate/session/required_components/windowmanager and replace "marco" with "compiz".
from this tutorial http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919
now things work reasonably well,apart from the fact that Alt+Tab and Ctrl+Alt+Tab no longer work:any ideas on how can I fix that? Hopefully is something silly that I am overlooking,like setting the correct key bindings or something.
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

Check your Compiz settings - maybe Application Switcher plugin is turned off?
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Honest Mistake wrote:Check your Compiz settings - maybe Application Switcher plugin is turned off?
Sure,it was turned off indeed :oops: thank you very much for the heads up.

But,in the meantime I've discovered that Compiz doesn't stick not even if it's specified as the default window manager with Configuration Editor,meaning I still have to call it with

compiz --replace
and still the terminal windows hangs on something like
Setting Update "active_plugins"
-any ideas on how to straighten this?
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

mark1mint wrote:But,in the meantime I've discovered that Compiz doesn't stick not even if it's specified as the default window manager with Configuration Editor,meaning I still have to call it with

compiz --replace
and still the terminal windows hangs on something like
Setting Update "active_plugins"
-any ideas on how to straighten this?
Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, I think I know what is wrong. Running "compiz --replace" in the terminal does not actually hang. The problem is that you should be running "compiz --replace &" to make the new process independent from the terminal. Without that the process continues to run in the terminal and will terminate when you close the terminal.

But if you want to run compiz at startup, you should just put "compiz --replace" in your startup applications. Changing the window manager setting to compiz in the mateconf-editor does not actually start compiz (don't ask me why) - it just makes sure that marco window manager doesn't start as well (marco doesn't play well with compiz).
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Once again,thanks a lot :) That did the trick,now Compiz is working and stays enabled as the preferred windows manager in Mate.
On a side note,I still think that either more detailed instructions on how to enable and run properly Compiz in Mint (when choosing the Mate desktop) should go in the release notes,or these tweaks should be more automated once one installs the Compiz plugins package from repository.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

For better results do the following:

1- Install "compizconfig-settings-manager" and "compiz-fusion-plugins-extra"

2- In terminal run "compiz --replace"

3- Go to Startup Applications click on add and in the name field write "compiz" and in the command field enter "compiz --replace"(without the punctuation) click on Add again then Close. This is to make compiz start automatically on next logins.

4- To stop that high CPU usage run in terminal “mateconf-editor”. When the editor opens go to /desktop/mate/session/required_components/windowmanager and replace "marco" with "compiz".

5- To change window decorations install gconf-editor then run it (In terminal run "gconf-editor"). Navigate to /apps/metacity/general/theme and set the value to your Metacity theme name. Mint’s default is Mint-X.

There you go!!!!!!
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

In case you lose window decoration after installing another desktop environment, simply run:

sudo apt-get install compiz-gnome
and

gtk-window-decorator --replace&
That's it :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”