[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LooseWingnut

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by LooseWingnut »

Is Linux Kernal 3.4 even stable? (saw it was released a few weeks back. Missed the news...)

Since upgrading packages in synaptic, I've been freeze free. For anyone not familiar, once you've opened synaptic package manager and logged in (you need your admin password), look at the main, right field with listed packages, the left-most column has a header that looks just like an S. clicking that should organize all upgrade-able packages at the top of the list. I selected each one for upgrade and applied the updates. I restarted and so far I'm four hours of steady work without an issue. If anything goes south, I'll report back.
Penurious Penguin

Post by Penurious Penguin »

LooseWingnut wrote:Is Linux Kernal 3.4 even stable? (saw it was released a few weeks back. Missed the news...)

Since upgrading packages in synaptic, I've been freeze free.....
Just wait a while. You'll freeze again.
LooseWingnut

Post by LooseWingnut »

Penurious Penguin wrote: Just wait a while. You'll freeze again.
I don't know. I froze three times in two hours. After the upgrades, I'm approaching 6 hours without a hitch...
Feeling optimistic, but not considering myself out of the woods yet.
EDIT: And by 6 hours, I mean running Chrome and Firefox simultaneously (ton of tabs in Chrome) LibreOffice writer and GIMP.
Last edited by LooseWingnut on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n1p

Post by n1p »

same problem, it is freezing only when im doing something in menu bar or tool bar in LibreOffice Writer, not when im just typing (and not in another application) ...looking for a solution, thanks
jimakt

Post by jimakt »

same problem, it is freezing only when im doing something in menu bar or tool bar in LibreOffice Writer, not when im just typing (and not in another application) ...looking for a solution, thanks
that's right....
strange thing system freeze with firefox but not with opera....
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

LooseWingnut wrote:Had the same exact issue. No sure fire reason I could tell. Happened once when I opened a second session of Chrome, again when I saved a doc in LibreOffice... Memory use has been fine... Same machine ran Ubuntu 12.04 without a hitch.

I noticed in Synaptic that the kernal and some x packages were marked as upgradeable. They were not marked in about three firings up of the update manager over the last four days. I upgraded the lot just now and will report back if the issue seems to have stopped. The kernal upgrades were simply to a version of 3.2 generic.
I've been having the same problem as everyone else here. Before upgrading the kernel and xorg packages via Synaptic I successfully crashed the system using the table copy/paste method (actually, I didn't even get that far, it froze as soon as I attempted to type something in the table). Updated via Synaptic, restarted, opened Writer and copy/pasted a table endlessly without freezing. So far, so good. I'll report back if anything changes.

It's a shame really, I just started using Mint Cinnamon and I really like it. Hope this mess gets fixed soon.
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

And just as I finished typing that, I resumed working in Writer and it froze as soon as I opened a menu. :?
LooseWingnut

Post by LooseWingnut »

starbreaker wrote:And just as I finished typing that, I resumed working in Writer and it froze as soon as I opened a menu. :?
Sorry to hear that... I haven't had a lock up after upgrading those packages. Something must be busted if this many people are having the same issue. I was thinking of moving my main work machine to Mint, (currently on Ubuntu 12.04 / Gnome Shell) but not until these reports simmer down. I, too, really like Cinnamon.
neologist_

Post by neologist_ »

I posted this originally here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1008197

The problem can be solved by installing the 1.6.0_32 version of Java - which can be found here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 94646.html

Here's the step by step: http://microchip.wikidot.com/mplab:how- ... a-on-linux

When you're done, try this on terminal:

~ $ java -version

Make sure the output is:

java version "1.6.0_32"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_32-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.7-b02, mixed mode)

I'm pretty sure it will work, but I'd like your feedback. Cheers!
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

For some reason I can't install it. I followed the instructions, but all I get is this:

Code: Select all

sudo: jre-6u32-linux-i586.bin: command not found
neologist_

Post by neologist_ »

Did you use the "cd" command to get into the folder via terminal? You must be inside the folder where the downloaded file is found. For example: if the file is inside your "Downloads" folder, type this on the terminal:

~ $ cd ~/Downloads

And then type:

~ $ sudo jre-6u32-linux-i586.bin

Cheers!
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

Yes, I did that. This is getting weirder by the minute.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I Installed a slightly older version of "sun-java" (1.6.0_26) by adding the PPA from the following Launchpad page:

https://launchpad.net/~ferramroberto/+a ... es_filter=

You can add the PPA by running the following command in a terminal:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
After the PPA has added you're going to have to do a bit of modifying to your software sources since adding the PPA tacks "precise" to the end of the line and there's no PPA for "precise". But this can be easily fixed. Open the "Software Sources" app and under the "Other Software" tab, find the lines you for the PPA that was just added, highlight one and hit the "Edit" button. Replace "precise" with "oneiric" under "Distribution" and then do the same with the second line. Once done close "Software Sources" and open Synaptic, hit reload and now you can search for and install the following:

sun-java-jre
sun-java-bin
sun-java-plugin
sun-java-fonts

Once that is done, you can uninstall all "openjdk" and "icedtea" packages. Beats having to install manually anyway. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
neologist

Post by neologist »

This is strange, starbreaker... I tried to reinstall it, but got the same message ("command not found"). Then I tried to recreate mentally the whole process and I remebered that I used this two commands before starting the installation as described in the link above:

sudo apt-get purge openjdk*
sudo apt-get purge *jre*
And after the purge, the installation itself:

wget http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/6u32-b05/jre-6u32-linux-i586.bin && chmod +x jre-6u32-linux-i586.bin && sudo jre-6u32-linux-i586.bin
(assuming that you're using the 32-bit version)

I'm not sure if it's going to work for you this time. Actually, I don't see any relation between the error message and the purging. What I'm pretty sure is that Java 1.6.0_24 was causing the freeze. If you find a way to get a newer version, the problem will be gone.

I'm sorry for not being able to help.
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

kmb42vt wrote:I Installed a slightly older version of "sun-java" (1.6.0_26) by adding the PPA from the following Launchpad page:

https://launchpad.net/~ferramroberto/+a ... es_filter=

You can add the PPA by running the following command in a terminal:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
After the PPA has added you're going to have to do a bit of modifying to your software sources since adding the PPA tacks "precise" to the end of the line and there's no PPA for "precise". But this can be easily fixed. Open the "Software Sources" app and under the "Other Software" tab, find the lines you for the PPA that was just added, highlight one and hit the "Edit" button. Replace "precise" with "oneiric" under "Distribution" and then do the same with the second line. Once done close "Software Sources" and open Synaptic, hit reload and now you can search for and install the following:

sun-java-jre
sun-java-bin
sun-java-plugin
sun-java-fonts

Once that is done, you can uninstall all "openjdk" and "icedtea" packages. Beats having to install manually anyway. :D
This worked as far as installing Java goes, but the freezing problem still persists. I rebooted after installing, just to be sure, after booting I attempted to crash the system using Writer but it seemed ok, then opened Firefox and then, as I opened the bookmarks menu it froze. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and back to square one.
LooseWingnut

Post by LooseWingnut »

This is a pretty huge problem... I just tested the live 64-bit Mint on my System76 laptop (i5 / Intel grpahics) that's currently running Ubuntu 12.04 and I couldn't even open the menu without the same sort of lock up. It's the same thing. My Dell tester (Inspiron11z, i3, Intel graphics) with Mint is running fine still. Using again this morning as normal and not a glitch. I would love to use Mint, but this is the worst issue I've ever run into with any distro release in 2 years.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

This problem is definitely weird. For one, it doesn't seem to affect the majority of Maya users but it does affect enough users to be considered a serious problem. Problem is that there doesn't seem to be a common denominator as per the cause. I'm going to list a few things here and you all can check to see if it's correct:

So far...

It's not a kernel problem (though 3.3.6 seems more stable?)
It's not a video driver problem
It's not a display manager problem (happens with MDM, LightDM, GDM)
It's not a Java problem
Freezing occurs on both desktops, laptops and notebooks
It's not hardware dependent.
It only happens with the Maya/Cinnamon Edition but with both versions (32 and 64 bit).
Triggering the freeze seems to revolve around LibreOffice, Firefox and Thunderbird but not exclusively (LibreOffice stands out).
Freezing problem does not appear to occur with the majority of Maya/Cinnamon users.

Questions: Are all of your Maya/Cinnamon installs of the Final release or are some upgrades from the RC? And in the case of the Final release, were they clean installs? That could be a determining factor.

Edit: Are "Effects" enabled or not?

Looking through this entire thread and by what everyone here has seen about this release, would you say that the above list is true? If so, this means a need to start from scratch and then try to find a common denominator between all the affected setups, both hardware and software (drivers and such). There has to be one. Personally I would recommend a new ISO download, backing up all data and doing a clean install, no installing over an existing "/home" directory.

Note: The above is just a suggestion of course. So far my desktop doesn't appear to be affected by this particular freezing problem but it is affected the MDM crashing after 1 or 2 seconds when using the closed source Nvidia driver which also does not appear to affect the majority of Nvidia Maya users (but enough to make it a serious problem). I'm going to download and install the 32 bit version of Maya/Cinnamon and install it on my older Thinkpad r61 and see what happens (Intel Core2 Mobile dual core, 2GB memory, 100 GB 7500 RPM HDD, Intel 965 chipset, Intel X3100 HD video). If it freezes then that gives me more fodder for troubleshooting. Right now though, there simply isn't any place to start.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

There's something pretty easy that everyone could try: burn a DVD with the iso image of Maya Cinnamon and just boot your machine with it. Then use it for a while and try to reproduce the conditions that fires the freeze.
If there's no freeze using the Live-DVD, then it's a post-install (software) problem. If the freeze persists in live mode, then it's a hardware incompatibility issue.

There's no need to mess with new kernels or java packages or any other kind of obscure workarounds, just try the live mode!
Last edited by esteban1uy on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

kmb42vt wrote:Question: Are all of your Maya/Cinnamon installs of the Final release or are some upgrades from the RC? And in the case of the Final release, were they clean installs? That could be a determining factor.
Final release, clean install. My laptop is a Lenovo 3000 N200 with Windows XP, Xubuntu 12.04 (also clean install) and LM 13 Cinnamon.
Last edited by starbreaker on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jediafr

Post by jediafr »

Same problem here with my desktop CoreI5 750 system (Nvidia closed drivers).
Cinnamon 32bits (Clean install but got a separated /home)
Effects are disabled, hot corner is enabled and window shadows are enabled.

At first i had an immediate freeze whilst launching java applications.
I solved it through installing Oracle Java6 as described above (ppa mathod).

It seemed to work well and after an hour of using the system, freeze again (whilst attempting to fullscreen a vlc already playing).
Nothing suspicious on the logs but the cinnamon process is now at more that 62% (of 4 cores...)

IMHO it smells like a cinnamon bug...hope the Mint Team will eventually fix it.
if it can identify it that is... where can we start collecting debug info , which log ?
Last edited by jediafr on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”