"could not write bytes: Broken pipe" is message at shutdown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

"could not write bytes: Broken pipe" is message at shutdown

Post by pepperminty »

Hello,

I've just done a fresh install of Mint 13 MATE on my computer. When I shut it down for the first time, I got this message:

could not write bytes: Broken pipe

What does this mean? It seems to be slowing down my shutdown process.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mf-linux

Re: "could not write bytes: Broken pipe" <--message at shutd

Post by mf-linux »

Same problem here with fresh install Mint Maya MATE x64 in a laptop Dell Inspiron XPS15.
Any help will be appreciated.
P.S.: Anyway, great distribution! Congratulations to the Mint team.
andrewdonshik

Post by andrewdonshik »

I have that problem too on Cinnamon 13 x64
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

I'm using a custom-built Mint 13 MATE setup and do not have this issue. I'm using the same Ubuntu base, kernel, etc. I have seen it on the two times I installed the regular Mint 13 ISO, so it must be something to do with one of the apps installed that I do not have.
andrewdonshik

Post by andrewdonshik »

I seem to have fixed it.

1. Boot into recovery mode
2. Repair broken packages
3. Hit the continue boot button
4. Log in to the desktop
5. Reboot
6. Log in normally

And it's gone!
piedradelnilo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by piedradelnilo »

Hello, I have the same problem, do not shut down properly and I sent the message can not write bytes: Broken pipe, nm-dispatcher-action Caught signal 15, shotting down. Modem manager [640] after [670]. I did the steps and there was Andrew. Somebody help me! I have a Toshiba laptop computer AMD64 1 Gb ram me gusto LM Maya
andrewdonshik

Re: "could not write bytes: Broken pipe" is message at shutd

Post by andrewdonshik »

It worked for me, and it seems to have worked for other people, but maybe not for everyone. That's all I have.
ilkaisha

Post by ilkaisha »

Would you mind, andrew (or someone), breaking it down into even more basic steps?

Linux overwhelms me a bit. Usually my boyfriend helps, but my laptop keeps crashing on me and I'm working under a deadline. What do I do to repair the broken packages, or will it seem obvious when I get into recovery mode?

Aid for the noob appreciated most kindly. Thanks.
ilkaisha

Post by ilkaisha »

Why, yes. It was very clear once I got there.
kissinger

Post by kissinger »

I'm having the same problem - fresh Maya install last night with a few apps installed.
MR-X

Post by MR-X »

I had the same problem but after I Updated the problem went away. now it just hangs at shutdown with some funky errors talking about processor cores, sucks because I have had to do hard shutdowns because of it.
Last edited by MR-X on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Emegra »

I get the same message although it doesn't seem to have any ill effect on the system so I'm happy just to leave it as is for now, this has to be a bug of some sort I'm sure it will be fixed in good time
MR-X

Post by MR-X »

MR-X wrote:I had the same problem but after I Updated the problem went away. now it just hangs at shutdown with some funky errors talking about processor cores, sucks because I have had to do hard shutdowns because of it.
EDIT: Spoke too soon problem came back, did a repair packages, problem fixed for 1 shutdown, problem is back, cant even shut down my Machine without a hard shutdown :evil: im about to just go back to KDE and 7, seems Linux Mint 13 is becoming nothing but a Hemorrhoid, one bug after the other, ill be back using Linux Mint 13 when they decide to finally give a real fix for these bugs.
fl_rider
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fl_rider »

I am getting a similar message on my new install.

modem-manager[805]: <info> Caught signal 15, shutting down...

Mint 13 Maya - Mate - x64
Toshiba Satellite - L305D-S5928
AMD Athlon X2
4 GB RAM
Conexant Modem

Other than this one issue I am totally pleased with Mint 13.

I can't leave anything alone so...

I went into Package Manager
Searched for modem
Found modemmanager
Marked it for Reinstallation and applied the changes
Told the system to "Shut Down"
I saw a whole bunch of lines looking for different modems on screen and then the system shut down.
I restarted the system and now when I tell the system to shut down I get the following error:

modem-manager[823]: <info> Caught signal 15, shutting down...

Hey, at least it isn't 805 any more ;-)

It's just conjecture on my part but I don't think my modem is being identified by the system.
Last edited by fl_rider on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

When I do a search for "could not write bytes: Broken pipe" many hits are for bugs in Launchpad concerning Plymouth.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/521298
Got plymouth?
agoldenquill

Post by agoldenquill »

fl_rider wrote:I am getting a similar message on my new install.

modem-manager[805]: <info> Caught signal 15, shutting down...

....when I tell the system to shut down I get the following error:

modem-manager[823]: <info> Caught signal 15, shutting down...

Hey, at least it isn't 805 any more
I'm getting the same message (not sure whether 805 or 823). Fresh install last night; received error every time I shut down/restart.

Running Mint 13 Maya 32-bit on Gateway L21 series netbook.

Tried the recovery/pkg repair above; still getting "caught signal 15" at shutdown.

BTW, not running Plymouth, never had it. This is an upgrade from Mint 8.
Sleautzy

Post by Sleautzy »

I'm on a fresh Mint 13 Cinnamon install, for the first couple of days I got the same error message, now the thing is, I installed Xfce and its what I've been using lately, and the message is gone, the computer shuts down normally, not sure if the problem fixed itself or is it because I haven't logged into a Cinnamon session.

I mean at first I would have ruled it out as beign a Cinnamon thing, but I see Mate users are having the same problem, so I don't know.

Later on I will try shutting down from a Cinnamon session and see what happens.

EDIT: Well now the error also appears when login out of Xfce, it seem what triggers the bug is not the shutdown itself, but the process of login out of a session.

Every time I logout I see this:

Yes, the message repeats three times, what could this be?
PN85

Post by PN85 »

I have the same problem. :x

Thinkpad T400 (P8600, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 3470) with Maya (Cinnamon 64bit).

Edit: Ok, that was easy. Disabling the modem in the BIOS helped. :lol:
rtimai

Post by rtimai »

I have the same error message, also on a fresh install Mint 13 MATE/Maya.

Actually, MATE is starting in TTY8, not the standard TTY7, which appears to be not available. This can be verified after a cold start-- press Ctl-Alt-F1, and you should find yourself at the login prompt for TTY1. Press Ctl-Alt-F2, then -F3 and so on up to Ctl-Alt-F8. I think others will see the "cannot write bytes: Broken pipe" message in TTY7, and find that the desktop is running in TTY8, instead of the normal console TTY7. Apparently shutdown takes us back to TTY7 where we see the message that has been there since startup.

Right now this doesn't seem to be a serious issue for users, but it definitely appears that something is wrong. I don't know where this bug should be reported, because I don't understand anything about the console.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
rtimai@HP-dv6-3012he ~ $ cd /dev
rtimai@HP-dv6-3012he /dev $ ls -la tty?
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 0 Jul 5 04:40 tty0
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 1 Jul 5 04:40 tty1
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 2 Jul 5 04:40 tty2
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 3 Jul 5 04:40 tty3
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 4 Jul 5 04:40 tty4
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 5 Jul 5 04:40 tty5
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 6 Jul 5 04:40 tty6
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 7 Jul 5 04:40 tty7
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 8 Jul 5 04:40 tty8
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 9 Jul 5 04:40 tty9
rtimai@HP-dv6-3012he /dev $

I changed the tty7 file's group permissions to rw as in tty1-6, but on restarting the tty7 file permissions are restored as above again. I think this is why the MATE desktop cannot start in tty7. Hopefully someone will see this and explain. Or fix it?
marko_s

Post by marko_s »

Yeah, I also have the same "broken pipe" message three times on my Mint 13 MATE, and has been there since the first boot.

But it doesn't seem to interfere with my normal desktop usage in any way, so for me it is just a cosmetic thing. Ubuntu also used to spit all sorts of cryptic messages and even errors on me at shutdown, but still worked like a champion :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”