SOLVED! - Mint 13 and Brother Printer - can't print

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED! - Mint 13 and Brother Printer - can't print

Post by Roodog »

I have just finished a new install of Mint 13 Maya (Cinnamon). everything went well until I tried to print on my DCP 135C. The printer registered that there was data transfer, but nothing prints, I see on Menu/Prefs/Printers that the model number is DCP 1200, with no apparent way to change this. I have been through the Brother site suggestions re adding dirs etc. I had a similar problem when moving from LM11 to LM12, but managed to solve that. Here's hoping that there is a simple solution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.1 64gb Desktop intel 4core i5-2500
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Mint 13 and Brother Printer - can't print

Post by pdc_2 »

are you using 32bit or 64bit?
I had a similar problem when moving from LM11 to LM12, but managed to solve that.
any recollections about that?
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roodog »

everything went well until I tried to print on my DCP 135C. The printer registered that there was data transfer, but nothing prints
I had a similar problem when moving from LM11 to LM12, but managed to solve that.
My system is 64bit Gen2 Sandy Bridge i5. My printer is Brother DCP-135C. The problem I had with LM12 was solved by using the cupswrapper-extra driver, rather than the common one. This time round I have added the drivers from synaptic, also added "dcp135c" to /var/spool/lpd/, and checked /usr/share/cups/model. Also checked that ia32libs was installed as suggested on Brother page. The output from "dpkg -l | grep Brother" is:
ii brother-cups-wrapper-common 1.0.0-10-0ubuntu5 Common files for Brother cups wrapper packages
ii brscan-skey 0.2.1-3 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii brscan2 0.2.5-1 Brother Scanner Driver
Something's not right.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

If you go here,

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BrotherDriverPackaging

it gives a very good coverage of brother printing under ubuntu

they refer you to here:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... tml#f00104

under the title

I'm finding it difficult to install the printer driver.

and they recommend using their printer install tool; that you can download;

Brother comment
This tool will install the printer driver automatically, changing the install directories, links and system settings without notice.
one can only suggest you remove what you have already done; and download their install tool and see how it performs...............

I did note you use 64bit system;

I note on Brother's FAQ that they cover 64bit issues:

(hopefully by using their install tool such issues are covered) but I see they say
I'm using a Linux 64 bit edition. Can I use the Brother Linux printer drivers?

Yes. Brother printer drivers are created and optimized for 32 bit version of Linux,
but those can be used for 64 bit Linux also. Some additional steps are required.

For dpkg users:
1. Install the standard c library for 32bit applications (e.g. lib32stdc++6(Debian) or ia32-libs(Ubuntu))
2. Create some folders if it is required
2-1. Create /usr/lib/cups/filter if it does not exist.
Command1: mkdir /usr/lib/cups
Command2: mkdir /usr/lib/cups/filter

2-2. Create /usr/share/cups/model if it does not exist
Command: mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

3. Install the drivers using "--force-architecture" or "--force-all"option.

4. Copy brlpdwrapperXXX files under /usr/lib/cups/filter/ to /usr/lib64/cups/filter/
Command: cp /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapper* /usr/lib64/cups/filter

5. Copy libbrXXXX files under /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib32/ if /usr/lib32 exists.
Command : cp /usr/lib/libbr* /usr/lib32/
.............. you may wish to check the above commands................before trying their install tool...........and you might want to install 32bit Mint 14 in six months when it comes along .....!! :D :D
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roodog »

Thanks for your help, pdc_2. Using the Brother Install Tool was the secret. Previously I hadn't managed to access it, as it kept saying the file was not in gzip format, so this time I copied the contents into a script using gedit and it ran, and I can print once more. Now I just need to work out how to return to a one-click desktop and I'll be a happy camper. :D
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: SOLVED! - Mint 13 and Brother Printer - can't print

Post by pdc_2 »

well done; glad it is all working; I am assuming the install tool automatically copes with 64bit issues and makes appropriate symbolic links etc; good work Brother; they give good support

some intriguing statements you make ......................
Previously I hadn't managed to access it
........the install tool........?
as it kept saying the file was not in gzip format
..........the install tool ??
so this time I copied the contents into a script using gedit and it ran
maybe if you have the time you tell us a little more of what you did

The Brother version of what they think one should do to install seems reasonably straightforward and orthodox
download the install tool (linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1.gz, ver.1.0.4-1, 14 KB)
The tool will be downloaded into the default "Download" directory. (The directory location varies depending on your Linux distribution.)

e.g. /home/(LoginName)/Download

Open a terminal window and go to the directory you downloaded the file to in the last step.

Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:
Command: gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1.gz

Get superuser authorization with the "su" command or "sudo su" command.

Run the tool:
Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1 Brother machine name

The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen directions.
When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?",

For USB Users: Choose N(No)
For Network Users: Choose Y(Yes) and DeviceURI.

The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.
nomko

Post by nomko »

This topic has been solved, i know. But still, this can be helpfull: http://sites.google.com/site/tipsandtri ... fo/brother
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roodog »

I followed the Brother instructions. This is the error msg I get in the terminal (tried both gunzip and gzip)
roodog46@RooMint13 ~/Downloads
$ gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1.gz
gzip: linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1.gz: not in gzip format

Currently although the printer is printing, I cannot get XSane to see the scanner. I have loaded both scanner drivers, and done everything that the Brother scanner FAQ suggests. Maybe I'll go back to LM12.
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roodog »

After some trial & error I have managed to get the scanner recognised by XSane - However I get this error msg "Failed To Open Device 'brother2:bus2;dev1': invalid argument" when I try to use it.
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roodog »

Success! I have managed to scan as well as print. After more trial & error I found a solution in Ubuntu Forums - Brother Scanner Work-Around.
5) Now at this point, you would be able to scan as "root" under 32-bit. However, under 64-bit the driver dll is probably in the wrong directory.
scanimage -L unable to find scanner
6) Link the driver to the correct directory.
Code:
cd /usr/lib
ln -s ../lib64/libbrscandec2.so.1.0.0 .
ln -s ../lib64/libbrcolm2.so.1.0.1 .
ln -s ../lib64/libbrcolm2.so .
ln -s ../lib64/libbrscandec2.so.1 .
ln -s ../lib64/libbrscandec2.so .
ln -s ../lib64/libbrcolm2.so.1
cd sane
ln -s ../../lib64/sane/libsane-brother2.so.1.0.7 .
ln -s ../../lib64/sane/libsane-brother2.so.1 .
ln -s ../../lib64/sane/libsane-brother2.so .
Also
FYI for others, instead of rebooting in step 4 can also just run "sudo udevadm control --reload-rules" and then unplug and re-plug the device.
Also, instead of making all those symlinks manually in step 6, you can just uninstall brscan2, create one symlink with "ln -sT /usr/lib /usr/lib64", and then reinstall brscan2. That symlink used to be there in previous versions of Ubuntu, which is why this problem only started recently.
Finally,
roodog46@RooMint13 ~ $ scanimage -L
device `brother2:bus3;dev1' is a Brother DCP-135C USB scanner

:D 8) :!:
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

well done; great work; a big mountain climbed;

............for those folks with Canon or Brother printers/multifunctionals, if they install a 32bit system, ...........they avoid the hard work you put in to resolve these issues;

..........despite the "blah, blah ..canon ..blah...blah" response from some linux enthusiasts, Canon (and Brother) do now provide drivers for their products;

anyone criticising them needs to read the many work arounds needed to cope with many distros..............................

Return to “Printers & Scanners”