[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
esteban1uy

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

ddaniel wrote:
esteban1uy wrote: So the thing is, if you avoid using your hardware 3D acceleration, no freezes.
And you have an hybrid graphics system where the 3D acceleration is not performed by the powerful ATI card, but the weak integrated Intel graphics...
I blacklisted my radeon card and I'm using only intel . I can try this on my radeon card to to be sure. But the main question is why this is happening in cinnamon session and not in gnome 3.4 session?
A HA!!!!!!

The thing is that gnome does it own blacklisting, for example, the software rendering is only used when you force it, even if llvmpipe (the renderer) is installed, because gnome-session blacklists it.
And something similar could happen with your card.
Once again let's use some logic. You have two graphics cards, one weak (Intel integrated) and one strong (ATI Radeon).
If Gnome-session has to choose wich card to use, what would be?
I bet my *** that it would prefer the ATI, because it's a really powerful graphics card, not the weak integrated Intel graphics.

So the next thing to try is blacklisting Intel integrated graphics and de-blacklist ATI.

By the way, are you using xorg-edgers drivers?
Did you try, instead of xorg-edgers, this? (be careful to purge xorg-edgers before).
If you want to try those other drivers, there are a couple of flags you can use to force your system to always use the strong ATI card.
ddaniel

Post by ddaniel »

esteban1uy wrote: So the next thing to try is blacklisting Intel integrated graphics and de-blacklist ATI.
I tried this but my system hangs on boot. The last message I saw on my screen was

Code: Select all

[Firmware Bug]: Invalid critical threshold (0)
Can I use vga switchero on 3.4 kernel?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

ddaniel wrote:
esteban1uy wrote: So the next thing to try is blacklisting Intel integrated graphics and de-blacklist ATI.
I tried this but my system hangs on boot. The last message I saw on my screen was

[Firmware Bug]: Invalid critical threshold (0)
Can I use vga switchero on 3.4 kernel?
I really don't know. Let me see...
Hmmm... don't you have some setting in your BIOS that lets you select which graphics card to use, or how to use them?
ddaniel

Post by ddaniel »

esteban1uy wrote: I really don't know. Let me see...
Hmmm... don't you have some setting in your BIOS that lets you select which graphics card to use, or how to use them?
No, I have hp pavilion g7 and bios doesn't have this option.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

ddaniel wrote:
esteban1uy wrote: I really don't know. Let me see...
No, I have hp pavilion g7 and bios doesn't have this option.
Take a look at this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450
ddaniel

Post by ddaniel »

esteban1uy wrote: Take a look at this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450
I saw this , but I'm using pae kernel and propitiatory driver needs aditional patch to work with. I tried this but I was unable to set my graphics.I will try to find ubuntu kernel patched with vgaswitchero.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

ddaniel wrote:
esteban1uy wrote: Take a look at this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450
I saw this , but I'm using pae kernel and propitiatory driver needs aditional patch to work with. I tried this but I was unable to set my graphics.I will try to find ubuntu kernel patched with vgaswitchero.
Ok.
Now I'm really curious about the other users.
Anyone else with hybrid graphics and Cinnamon freezes?
BeatSmith

Post by BeatSmith »

esteban1uy wrote:
ddaniel wrote:
Ok.
Uhhh .. not me. Anyway, I tried forcing on software rendering by the command you provided and unforunately it's still freezing (Libreoffice - Java - and firefox)
jediafr

Post by jediafr »

No but i ran the latest updates and avoided using jdownloader and my cinnamon is now stable for 3h+ (lots of tests works Libreoffice on long documents, 3d gaming etc...).
I'm beginning to think that my freezes were Java-related... i will reactivate Java after 5 hours of stability to confirm that...
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

So, as some other user pointed, there are multiple causes to the freeze. Two of them are pretty clear:
1) Java messing with LibreOffice, Jdownloader and Firefox.
2) Hybrid graphics systems using the weaker card instead of the stronger.

And now we have two ways to diagnose the problem:
1) Disable Java (if no freezes, that's it)
2) Force software rendering (if no freezes, even if it looks too glitchy, then you have graphics hardware problems).
juliobm

Post by juliobm »

since i changed LM12 to LM13 yesterday, i get my system frozen every so often. Mostly when i only navigate using Firefox
I have to do:
ctrl-alt-f2
killall gnome-session

I suspect about Intel G33 graphics.
The first time i installed LM12 (about one year ago..) i had the same problem, and i arranged, but i dont remember how !!! :cry:

Intel E6750
3Gb RAM
Intel chipset G33
LM13 Maya 32bits

Last freeze at 18:37. Only viewing this page with Firefox. Then at 18:38 sudo reboot

syslog
Jun  9 18:31:08 hal AptDaemon: INFO: InstallPackages() was called: dbus.Array([dbus.String(u'conky-all')], signature=dbus.Signature('s'))
Jun  9 18:31:08 hal AptDaemon.Trans: INFO: Queuing transaction /org/debian/apt/transaction/f4b93f59776e4a2c8db846a9a095cc82
Jun  9 18:31:11 hal AptDaemon.Worker: INFO: Simulating trans: /org/debian/apt/transaction/f4b93f59776e4a2c8db846a9a095cc82
Jun  9 18:31:11 hal AptDaemon.Worker: INFO: Committing packages: dbus.Array([dbus.String(u'conky-all')], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s'))
Jun  9 18:31:12 hal AptDaemon.Worker: INFO: Processing transaction /org/debian/apt/transaction/f4b93f59776e4a2c8db846a9a095cc82
Jun  9 18:31:21 hal AptDaemon.Worker: INFO: Finished transaction /org/debian/apt/transaction/f4b93f59776e4a2c8db846a9a095cc82
Jun  9 18:36:25 hal AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting due to inactivity
Jun  9 18:36:25 hal AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting was requested
Jun  9 18:36:25 hal dbus[753]: [system] Activating service name='org.debian.apt' (using servicehelper)
Jun  9 18:36:26 hal AptDaemon: INFO: Initializing daemon
Jun  9 18:36:26 hal dbus[753]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.debian.apt'
Jun  9 18:36:26 hal AptDaemon.PackageKit: INFO: Initializing PackageKit compat layer
Jun  9 18:38:04 hal kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
Jun  9 18:38:04 hal rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.6" x-pid="748" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on signal 15.
Jun  9 18:38:47 hal kernel: imklog 5.8.6, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Last edited by juliobm on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
BeatSmith

Post by BeatSmith »

esteban1uy wrote:So, as some other user pointed, there are multiple causes to the freeze. Two of them are pretty clear:
1) Java messing with LibreOffice, Jdownloader and Firefox.
2) Hybrid graphics systems using the weaker card instead of the stronger.

And now we have two ways to diagnose the problem:
1) Disable Java (if no freezes, that's it)
2) Force software rendering (if no freezes, even if it looks too glitchy, then you have graphics hardware problems).
In my case software rendering doesn't solve it. So please could you tell me how to disable java? - And kindly how to enable it back -.

Regards :)
jediafr

Post by jediafr »

Ok here's my report [EDITED]

+5 hours running stable (without launching Jdownloader)
+12 hours running stable (after launching Jdownloader on java6)
On both tests i ran multiple office tests with long files (scrolling), gaming in 3d , vlc windowed/fullscreen ...

Delta of the config between yesterday tests : i ran a full update this morning + reconfig of Mdm as advised....
In the updates there was an update to cinnamon themes and i've modified appearance of cinnamon before experiencing the freezes...just my 2 cents.

I will report if jdownloader/cinnamon misbehave again but it seems solid now.

N.B installed java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)
Last edited by jediafr on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penurious Penguin

Post by Penurious Penguin »

esteban1uy wrote:
ddaniel wrote:
Ok.
Integrated intel 2nd Gen here.

- Mate
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

BeatSmith wrote:In my case software rendering doesn't solve it. So please could you tell me how to disable java? - And kindly how to enable it back -.
- In Firefox: go to "Tools" -> "Add-ons" -> "Plugins" and disable IcedTea or any other JRE or Java entry you see (I also disabled "Cinnamon integration"... who knows!).
- In LibreOffice: go to "Tools" -> "Options" -> "LibreOffice" -> "Java" and uncheck "Use Java Runtime..."
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShyGuy »

Just wanted to chime and say I have experienced the same problems with Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 32 bit. I kept my install of Mint 11 on a separate hard drive and I just moved back to that. I use this system for work and I don't need the grief :wink:

System froze, still had mouse cursor, several times. Hadn't used Libre Office yet, but Firefox was open when it froze.

System specs:
Core 2 Duo
2gb RAM
Nvidia GTS 250 video (tried both versions of drivers)

I will be keeping an eye on this thread and hopefully we will hear a guaranteed fix soon.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

The freezing returned on my Thinkpad R61 yesterday. Unfortunately, despite the number of times it froze (just loading a doc into Writer would do it) there were absolutely no errors in syslog, Xorg log or kernel log. None whatsoever. :? Hard to troubleshoot with no error call outs to go by.

Sometime today I'll install LM 13/MATE 32 bit onto the R61 and see what happens there as there are some MATE users who are reporting the same freezing problem. If I find it exists in LM13/MATE, I'll set up a dual boot with LM 13/Cinnamon and do some extensive testing and comparisons between the two as well as trying some of the possible "solutions" in this thread. I'll post the results as I find them.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

There's something that can be of help in cases like this where something is creating trouble but doesn't leave any traces: Netconsole
I know it's complicated to set up, but it has the advantage to be able to catch some very elusive bugs.
mojosmail2003

Could this be caused by io with external mouse?

Post by mojosmail2003 »

I have a similar issue with LM13 freezing (but able to use ctrl+alt+f1 etc and ctrl+alt+backspace). Can reproduce it systematically in both live CD and on installed version by opening Libreoffice Calc and scrolling fast with the mouse scrool wheel (freezes within 0-30 seconds). After playing around a bit I noticed that I only seem to be able to make it freeze when I use an external mouse (as oppose to my Thinkpad trackball).

Probably different underlying causes, but could those with laptops and the sys-log message below check if they can create the error without external mouse?

Jun 10 13:52:53 ThinkPad-X61 gnome-session[21974]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#12
Jun 10 13:52:53 ThinkPad-X61 mdm[21941]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Jun 10 13:52:53 ThinkPad-X61 kernel: [ 5911.795324] soffice.bin[22242]: segfault at 9deccd70 ip 0060ef14 sp b43b4f60 error 4 in libc-2.15.so[5dc000+19f000]
grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon *** RESOLVED ***

Post by grndplane »

Ok here is what has been happening to me.

My system(recent build)
Mother Board : MSI Computer Corp. Z77MA-G45
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Memory: Corsair 4GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR3
SSD: OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch
Mint-13 Cinnamon 64-Bit installed last weekend.

I can be watching a flash video on the Hulu site and suddenly audio starts looping(I didn't touch nothing I promise.) No mouse or keyboard only holding down power button to shutdown will get out of it. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE has no effect. On another occasion I was watching "The Tech Guy" on VLC at this link > http://bglive-a.bitgravity.com/twit/live/high everything was working fine, but I decided to use my other computer(Dell running Mint 9 Gnome) when I clicked on the link at my second computer, the computer running Cinnamon audio started looping at the exact time I clicked the button. I am thinking some kind of network traffic triggered the freeze. If there is any info I can supply to help get a handle on this problem please let me know. At first I thought it was because I am using an IVY bridge cpu, and maybe they haven't worked out all the bugs. I like the Cinnamon desktop and of course I like Mint so would like to get this worked out. Thanks

*** RESOLVED ***
I added the Liquorix repository and updated to Liquorix 3.4 kernel. Its been about 2 weeks of constant use, video editing, vlc and chrome. No lock ups or problems. So for me it seems to be a Kernel problem.
Last edited by grndplane on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM

Return to “Beginner Questions”