Which Linux distro over the long haul?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
3fRI

Which Linux distro over the long haul?

Post by 3fRI »

For those who've used Linux for more than 10 years, which distro have you used the longest and why?

Looking at various Linux forums, it seems to me that desktop aesthetics, compatibility with hardware and software, and stability are key to such decisions. Yet desktop environment and aesthetics aren't necessarily deal makers for me. I prefer functionality, speed, stability, and compatibility over glitz. More important, I look carefully at longevity, that is, which distros have been around the longest and why, and are they likely to be around 10 years from now? 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oboedad55

Re: Which Linux distro over the long haul?

Post by oboedad55 »

3fRI wrote:For those who've used Linux for more than 10 years, which distro have you used the longest and why?

Looking at various Linux forums, it seems to me that desktop aesthetics, compatibility with hardware and software, and stability are key to such decisions. Yet desktop environment and aesthetics aren't necessarily deal makers for me. I prefer functionality, speed, stability, and compatibility over glitz. More important, I look carefully at longevity, that is, which distros have been around the longest and why, and are they likely to be around 10 years from now? 8)
Well, if longevity is your main concern try CentOS; it's supported to 2020. Otherwise it depends entirely on what you want. Rolling release and the latest apps? Arch. Stability and free software? Debian. You like KDE? openSUSE or Mageia. Bleeding edge and Gnome shell? Fedora 17. I've used many distributions over the years and am currently using Mint 13 Cinnamon. It's fast, stable, and I can run the latest apps. Otherwise I use Arch with KDE and Xfce 4.10. IOW, it's totally up to you, depending on what you desire. That's the beauty of Linux. But remember, it's all still Linux.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

3fRI wrote:More important, I look carefully at longevity, that is, which distros have been around the longest and why, and are they likely to be around 10 years from now? 8)
I've only been using Linux since '05, but I figure in 10 years Debian's the one most likely to be around, following pretty much the same philosophy. A lot can happen in ten years, though.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The GNU/Linux Distribution Timeline (http://futurist.se/gldt/) can show you which ones have been around the longest :D
Miekuxi

Post by Miekuxi »

I knew Fedora Linux was already 9.0 when I started using it, so it has been around for a while.
Some distros are just not that active.
Skara Brae

Post by Skara Brae »

xenopeek wrote:The GNU/Linux Distribution Timeline (http://futurist.se/gldt/) can show you which ones have been around the longest :D
Interesting! I have never seen that yet.

There is also a UNIX timeline: http://www.netneurotic.de/mac/unix/images/UNIX.png (A little out of date, that one, I see)

At work, we use AIX 4.3 in an Xnest windows in SLED 10.

Return to “Chat about Linux”