Hotel wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

LinuxMint uses NetworkManager. You can first try and install it on top of Ubuntu to see if it solves your problem (reboot after you've installed network-manager and network-manager-gnome I think).

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

@ ctsdownloads
The distro that nails this is the winner in my world - it's as simple as that.
Can give you my experience.
I am traveling 210 days a year in several countries. With only LinuxMint (now Bianca Beta) on my laptop, without anything else (MS or other Linux soft).
Just now in a hotel in Bosnia on Ethernet. Last week in a hotel in Tunis on wifi.
Absolutely no problem. Ethernet recognized instantly, wifi the same. Really top for travelers.
For me too it was "as simple as that": the OS which do that is my only one... and that is Mint, without any discussion :lol:
Philippe
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

Yes I do, sometimes.
Especially in Airports or some hotels. No problem.
I had the same problem than you with a previous version of Ubuntu.
Really don't fear, just do it :wink:
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

I tried wifi radar and wireless tools programs which may also also you to connect to a larger variety of networks but they are more difficult figure out.
... and the deal is to make it easy or "out of the box" what LinuxMint just do, isn't it? :wink:
ajt3nc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt3nc »

My lap uses a rt2500 chip which does not like networkmanager if I use the cvs builds.
If I run the older beta it will switch networks and connect to anyone.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

YES,

I have had the *same problem*. I wrote a Mint How To about it. I use a package called Wifi Radar to do the job, although I understand that network manager is supposed to sniff out networks. There is an article in the latest Linux Format magazine about it; but again I do not get the same screens as the article shows.

Use WifFi Radar to find the networks and login. Here is the link to my How To.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640

Regards
John
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

sorry ctsdownloads, didn't notice your message :oops:
My positive experience is with Linux Mint.
I had some negative one with Ubuntu 6.06 and 6.10 (in the same hotels).
Regards

Return to “Networking”