Mint-Debian Software Manager freezes [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
donde

Mint-Debian Software Manager freezes [SOLVED]

Post by donde »

If I even type one letter in top right search box, Software Manager freezes. I thought the problem showed just on the desktop. But, noticed the same on my laptop with Mint-Debian installed. Is there a fix?

I can't believe it! The freeze problem is fixed. All I did is went to the terminal and typed sudo mintinstall
Many lines whizzed by and then Software Manager opened. I now was able to input a search term with no freezing like before. I closed SM and then tried it
from the Menu. It worked...no freezing. For some reason, trying it first from the terminal did some kind of initialization.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crypto

Re: Mint-Debian Software Manager freezes

Post by crypto »

um i have a question do you have the close, minimize and maximize buttons..

if not i just fixed that on my system ...

Press alt + F2

and run xfwm4 --replace (on Debian eddition) ...

hmm don't remember what it is for normal mint ... hmm compiz --replace ? some correct me if I'm wrong ..

if you do I'm not sure, more information would help a lot..

~Crypto
donde

Re: Mint-Debian Software Manager freezes

Post by donde »

Yes I do have close, minimize and maximize buttons. And they do work. But, I just noticed the same problem on another box with Mint 12 on it. Every once in a while I can enter 2 letters of a search word, but it takes forever to find anything. Like I enter "fi" of firefox. After the "i", I can't enter anymore. I have to close Software Manager using the close X. Then, I get message "do you want to force quit". I have seen maybe 2 searches complete more like by accident.
Scanning the Software Manager problems on the forum, it seems no one has my search problem. Very strange.
crypto

Re: Mint-Debian Software Manager freezes [SOLVED]

Post by crypto »

Wait running synaptic from the term ? ... if you going to use term i think it would be better to use apt-get ..

~crypto
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

donde,

I have a similar thing happen when using the software manager. I'm not at my mint computer right now so I can't give you specifics, but, when I have the software manager setup to search each package description for my keyword, it goes very slow. It's looking through the descriptions of about 30,000 packages for one keyword. There's a preferences menu item where you can select how keywords are used for searching.

I hope this helps.

Matt
donde

Post by donde »

Well, guess what. The "problem" is back! But, not really. If you put in a search word at the beginning and search all 36K + packages, you'll have to wait, and wait!
Finally, it appears (if it's there). I think late last night, the net traffic was very much less than right now. I notice if you find the package, the next time you try, it's much faster. If there was a rotating something while it's searching, that would help.
donde
crypto

Post by crypto »

well I have an idea don't use the quick filter, it's always slower than the real search ..

~crypto
donde

Post by donde »

Never have tried it. Thanks for continuing comments. I really think the Software Manager needs to be worked over. Also, a description of the package should show before you click on it. Also, when Installed, it should say "Installed" when it's done, not after you check again.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[moved here]
PhOG

Post by PhOG »

Exact same problem for me as what is described in the original post.
Alf

Post by Alf »

I guess its general I have the same problem. its simpler to apt-get install

Return to “LMDE Archive”