Has anyone gotten automatic wallpaper changing to work

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ra11.10laptop

Has anyone gotten automatic wallpaper changing to work

Post by ra11.10laptop »

I've tried a bunch of things, crebs, wally, wallch and I am not able to get my desktop wallpaper to change every ten minutes or so to a different random image in a folder.

Can someone point me to a way to get it working that is verified to work on Linuxmint 13? I'm pretty sure I'm running cinnamon.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Has anyone gotten automatic wallpaper changing to work

Post by SallyK »

I've got Wallch working in Mint 13 Cinnamon - an icon doesn't appear in the system tray, but it starts automatically and changes the wallpaper at the specified intervals.

What problems did you have with Wallch? I can't guarantee I can help, but I'll try.
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Emegra »

I had the same problem and came across gnome background slideshow and it works perfect for me in cinnamon 13 I can give you the ppa if you're interested

Graeme
ra11.10laptop

Post by ra11.10laptop »

I'm trying wallch again. We'll see how it does. I'm having trouble getting it to start cycling when I log in and getting it to hold my preference that it stretch images.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

I've got Wallch working on two computers, on one of the them the "Stretch" setting didn't want to take for a while. I clicked Reset Preferences, and then was able to make the change work. Hopefully that might help with the start-up settings as well.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Good to hear of some success with Wallch in Cinnamon.

I have Cinnamon in Fedora 16, but Wallch isn't available there. I got Wallpapoz to work, though -- it's available for Fedora 16, but I don't see it in the Ubuntu repos.

Wallpapoz was mentioned not too long ago in this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=94913

Here's the page at github: https://github.com/vajrasky/wallpapoz

Not the best option right now for Ubuntu and Mint users, I guess, but I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone's interested.
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Emegra »

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/gnome3-background-slideshow
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome3-background-slideshow

Works perfect in Cinnamon 12 & 13 I heartilly recommend it :)

Graeme
ra11.10laptop

Post by ra11.10laptop »

gnome3-background-slideshow

So far, this is working great! Thanks a million. Thanks everyone.
jpeg725

Post by jpeg725 »

For those who haven't figured out how to get it running.

In a terminal run
gnome3-background-slideshow &
I am not sure if that was strictly necessary. In any case a new icon should have appeared in the systray, right clicking on it allows you to modify the settings. It will autostart on next login.
saturnine

Post by saturnine »

Thank you for the commands (including the one to run the application). I like running Linux (though mint is a bit Mac Like it is better than apple in its ease of use, and I absolutely hate windows), but when one has to resort to a command line interface it quickly goes past anything most people can take the time to learn (spent years learning my profession, don't want to learn another), so when folks are kind enough to post the step by step without omissions it makes using Linux much more possible for the non-technical people out here. It is appreciated, if only by one who can't contribute knowledge (I do sometimes donate $ to projects that I like, wish I could do more).

One google search, a quick registration for the forum, and suddenly I have a slideshow background.

Thank you all again!
xircon

Post by xircon »

I am using Webilder in LMDE Cinnamon, works fine and I have an icon in the panel.
http://www.webilder.org/
cfredw

Post by cfredw »

Emegra wrote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/gnome3-background-slideshow
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome3-background-slideshow

Works perfect in Cinnamon 12 & 13 I heartilly recommend it :)

Graeme
Thanks Graeme .... It works perfectly in Linux Mint 13 Maya! I was beginning to think that nothing would work. It registered on my system preferences and has an icon on my panel. After many complex efforts, this simple formula is the winner!

cfredw :D
varunit

Post by varunit »

@xircon
How did you made your desktop so awesome :?:
xircon

Post by xircon »

It is just cairo-dock with clock and workspace switcher detached and random wallpaper. Very easy to do.

Can't remember what the cinnamon theme was, but the bar is switched from bottom to top in Cinnamon settings.

Steve
varunit

Post by varunit »

Thank you for letting me know the configuration. Now my desktop is awesome too :D
varunit

Post by varunit »

Variety works perfectly with LInux Mint 15

Return to “Cinnamon”