cant select a lower burn speed other than 10x speed?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sagirfahmid3

Re: cant select a lower burn speed other than 10x speed?

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

oobetimer wrote:Just a comment: Virtualbox-image will not work like a normal installation with windows, because Virtualbox gives a virtual environment which is different than real one. The result will be BSOD .. :wink:
LOLOL, I tried that once using Windows 2000 (you're right, it does give a BSOD). HEHE :D
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

It sounds like it doesn't see it as a hard disk image...

Are you entirely apposed to simply trying Puppy Linux, and giving up on XP?
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

i dont care what it is i just want something to work! linux mint takes up WAY too many resources just to run a web browser! puppy linux would be perfectly fine if i could install it without a disk and without a flash drive (no usb ports and i cant burn a CD)
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

OK then! Lets get Puppy Linux going! :)

First thing to do is to download the .iso file (I'm assuming you've done that since you were trying to burn it.)

Then open up gparted and format your external hard drive (you should be able to select it...the sda drive is your hard drive...the other one should be your external drive) as FAT32. Also make sure you select the "boot" flag.

Then install unetbootin:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install unetbootin
Then run unetbootin, select the Puppy Linux .iso file, and select your external drive (NOT sdaX...should be the same thing that was in gparted) and click install (or run or whatever it is).

Then make sure that your drive has boot priority in your BIOS and reboot. You SHOULD be booting into Puppy Linux at that point. :)
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

im a little worried... will it mess up my computer in any way if i do something wrong? i dont want to have a non bootable computer D:
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Yes if you do something wrong it can mess up your computer. (Well...that's not entirely true. Only certain steps will mess up your computer if done wrong ;) )

Here...do this first (this won't mess up your computer.):
Open up gparted (with the external drive plugged in). Near the top right there should be a drop down button. Click it. Post what the options are. (sda should be one of them.)
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

i cant find the button you telling me to look for :( i cant find gparted either
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Lol! The button is in gparted :)

Click on the menu...then in the search bar type "gparted" (no quotes). Then click on it :)
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

i tried but it doesnt appear anywhere there is no search results for gparted
it just shows to search for google or duck duck go or something when i type it in the search box in my start menu thing?
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Open up a terminal and type in "gparted" (no quotes).

If that doesn't work run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gparted
And then run gparted again.
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

wait nevermind i figured it out!!! (downloaded a pepperminut iso) installed it over top of linux mint... oops.... not what i wanted to do but it's a crazy load faster than linux mint lol... but its still a type of mint.. I'm craving for sweets now lol and linux mint still works i guess (still have the option to boot from it but now i can boot from peppermint linux which is crazy fast compared to linux mint oh my gosh and it even has google chrome web browser

idk why but randomly while typing my screen flickered white for a tenth of a second maybe i hit a button oh who knows lol i never used peppermint before
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

I'm glad you got it working! Peppermint will serve you well! (did you install to your harddrive or are you just booting off the external drive?)

Also be on the look out...Peppermint 3 should be out sometime this week! :)
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

I have no clue.. I just clicked the install button and restarted my computer and selected the unetboot or whatever its called and it booted up peppermint... i think i installed it to my hard drive because i still see my linux mint 13 on the boot menu and some other garbage (win/win2k/winxp) or something strange when i was messing with my failed burnt CD
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

If you use a RW CD or DVD, you will automatically get a lower speed, usually about 4x
--I usually find that even running at MAX; most of the time with a RO CD, I can get a good boot, so I often don't even bother with a RW CD, since I am getting very few CD coasters (unusable media for boots)

It also sometimes helps to pick a DVD or +R, instead of other types for reasonable chance of a good boot

You shouldn't need such a low write speed to get a good boot, unless you have really old hardware
  • Even if you have a writable (rw) cd drive, then even if it is older, like 10yrs ago, it probably should still be ao as a bootable media device..
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

nope it won't let me burn at either speed.. max speed is exactly the same as 10x speed and 10x speed gives me errors no matter how many times i blank the CD and burn the iso to it

im sure my CDROM drive is too old to even use
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

If your peppermint OS has a "install" icon on the desktop, you're booting from the external drive. If that's the case, then just run the installer and wipe out Mint and Windows on your hard drive :)
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

A Future Pilot wrote: Then run unetbootin, select the Puppy Linux .iso file, and select your external drive (NOT sdaX...should be the same thing that was in gparted) and click install (or run or whatever it is).

Then make sure that your drive has boot priority in your BIOS and reboot. You SHOULD be booting into Puppy Linux at that point. :)
You can use Puppy Linux without Unetbootin also .. :wink:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p598969
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

no i installed it to my main hard drive (accidentally because i didnt know what i was doing) (the external one comes up as empty when i mount it)i do have an install button on my desktop but i dont have a reason to use.. I have somehow created a dual boot of linux mint 13 and peppermint
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

No, I think what you have now is grub seeing the OS on both the external HDD and the internal one. I'd suggest running the installer on the desktop :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

realflow100 wrote:the external hard drive is already formatted as ntfs and if i copy all the files from the .vdi to my external hard drive. i could go to the bios and set my external hard drive to boot and it would boot up windows (i might have to use safe mode because some drivers may need to be disabled or updated and such to support my real computer) but it SHOULD work shouldn't it?
You need to write a partition bootsector to it using the Windows CD's recovery console (fixboot C:) to make it working. Else you won't be able to boot Windows.
If you manage to clone the partition instead of copying files, it should boot. But a Windows installation from a virtual machine may still not work properly on a real computer because the hardware is so different. Windows does not like being moved into another computer.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Chat about Linux”