Installation Problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wazeem

Installation Problem

Post by wazeem »

Hi Guys..

I am trying to install Mint 13 Cinammon x64 on my laptop but till now has been unsuccessful.

I am doing the install using mint4win inside windows. After reboot, i boot into mint, then on the desktop i get the install icon. Started the installation. Everything goes fine up till the screen asking for import of Accounts from Windows. i didn't select any account to be imported and click next. The installation gets stuck there only. Tried many times but always get stuck at that stage only.

Kindly help what to do to make it work.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Installation Problem

Post by oobetimer »

How about if you would try 32-bit MATE or Cinnamon?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi.

Just a reminder on 32-bit editions of Mint 13 and mint4win: According to the Mint 13 release notes, the mint4win installation currently only works for the 64-bit editions of Mint 13, not for the 32-bit editions. So in case you insist on mint4win, 32-bit is not an option.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

karlchen wrote:Hi.

Just a reminder on 32-bit editions of Mint 13 and mint4win: According to the Mint 13 release notes, the mint4win installation currently only works for the 64-bit editions of Mint 13, not for the 32-bit editions. So in case you insist on mint4win, 32-bit is not an option.

Karl
I have installed from 32-bit DVD, so that information is not relevant .. :wink:
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

oobetimer wrote:I have installed from 32-bit DVD, so that information is not relevant .. :wink:
Well, I have not added the statement to the release notes. The Mint makers did.
Yet, my own tests and quite a few reports here in the forum seem to confirm that the Mint makers are right. Installing Mint 13 32-bit using mint4win does not work out of the box.
In case you have found a way of working around the problems which are show stoppers for normal users it would be really helpful if you could be bothered
+ either to tell us how to do what the release notes say can't be done
+ or post a link to the instructions that you used.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Just a guess, but I have installed to XP without any problems. Maybe Windows 7 is more difficult because there is 100 MB hidden boot partition, which confuses mint4win .... or not?

My mint4win´s /etc/fstab file:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/host/linuxmint/disks/root.disk / ext4 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/host/linuxmint/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, oobetimer.

Interesting. This seems to be an idea which has not occurred to anyone before that it may be the combination of Windows 7 and mint4win which makes Wubi (mint4win) installations of Maya 32-bit fail. Too bad that by now all my Windows XP installations are history. So I will not be able to try myself. :(

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

I tested mint4win with Windows 8, and it was installed without any problems. I do not use any AV-programs, so I am not sure if that makes a difference? Windows 8´s boot files are located to primary fat32 partition, which is visible for anyone, so that can be one reason also. I could install windows 7 and test mint4win with it .. :wink:
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

I made a test-installation Windows 7 + mint4win, and it went fine. I do not know but I used [This CD]

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=103449
breaker

Post by breaker »

I made a 32bit MATE ISO that should let mint4win work, see here; http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p601184

Nothing changed except broken /sbin/mount.ntfs and /sbin/mount.ntfs-3g inside initrd.lz!
Frostworld

Post by Frostworld »

I have the same problem. I have a 64-bit machine and a 32-bit win7. No matter how I try it refuses to pass the "import accounts from other operating systems" step of installation, but I really want a 64-bit cinnamon flavoured mint. Mint doesn't seem to be the only one having problems on my computer, deepin 12.06 beta2 wubi also got stuck on installation (even though they don't even have an import option for wubi). I haven't tried ubuntu 12.04 yet. My partitioning is also very messed up so I can't have a full install. By the way mint 12 mint4win and ubuntu 11.10 wubi worked but I got rid of the installation after I broke it.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Jason

Return to “Installation & Boot”