installing a new kernal

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ganeshanair

installing a new kernal

Post by ganeshanair »

hey there i been thinking of installing the liqurox kernal for my lmde but when i looked about it at the net a person said its best to not remove the old kernal but install it by the side
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: installing a new kernal

Post by jjaythomas »

Yea!

Alot of peple have installed it and says runs very good.
Keep the old (working kernel) and have grub show (I use 2 second) in case have to use. :shock:

J.Jay
P.S. I like the Optimus kernel (curently 3.3.7) in Mint (Ubuntu based) **going to try in new XFCE RC :twisted:
ganeshanair

Post by ganeshanair »

well there is one more problem i am using burg not grub so i can i switch kernal in them?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not sure how burg works. :oops:

But as long as you have option to switch kernels before actual boot to be safe you won't have to play with a rescue style live disk.
I like the 'Parted Magic' disk (runs completely in RAM (if have enough) both 32 & 64 bit flavors. :wink:

J.Jay
ganeshanair

Post by ganeshanair »

well i did install grub2 custemizer and it seems to show it has support for burg so can i change the kernal with this ?
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

It's a good rule of thumb to always keep a known-good kernel alongside any new kernels so that you can boot into a working system should problems arise with cutting edge kernels. This is relatively easy to do considering Apt will warn you if you try to remove the currently running kernel. That being said, the Liquorix kernels are very good; I've been using them for awhile now without any issues whatsoever. Do be advised, however, that you will need to re-compile any binary blobs such as nvidia or ATI drivers upon installing new kernels outside those supported officially by LMDE.

@ jjaythomas

I hate to be a grammar <violates forum rules>, but "a lot" is comprised of two words, not one! (Pet peeve of mine.) Thanks for your excellent advice! :D
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Thank you cmost

spelling and grammar are my two things I struggle with most :oops: **while spell-checkers help they don't help with grammar).

J.Jay

P.S.Is Grub2 customizer available in LMDE/or 'Regular Mints repos now? :?: Always just used 'Startupmanager' (still works for Grub timeout and default kernel used).

J.Jay
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Hi JJ

What I usually do, against recommendations, is to manually edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. You can copy and paste the blocks to re-order kernel selection order, etc., or to remove kernels that you no longer want to boot (but still want to keep around for whatever reason.) I've never had any issues editing this file, just be careful! :D
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
ganeshanair

Post by ganeshanair »

i seem to keep getting this error when i installed this kernal could anyone tell me what to do? i havnt turned off the lmde kernal yet becouse i am scared this might show error so could anyone tell me should i proceed?

Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done

** (process:5215): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GMountMountFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:5215): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:5215): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64.
(Reading database ... 248274 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 (from .../linux-image-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64_3.4.0-8_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64.
Unpacking linux-headers-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 (from .../linux-headers-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64_3.4.0-8_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-liquorix-amd64.
Unpacking linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 (from .../linux-headers-liquorix-amd64_3.4.0-8_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-liquorix-amd64.
Unpacking linux-image-liquorix-amd64 (from .../linux-image-liquorix-amd64_3.4.0-8_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up linux-image-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 (3.4.0-8) ...
Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
dkms.conf: Error! No 'BUILT_MODULE_NAME' directive specified for record #0.
Error! Bad conf file.
File:
does not represent a valid dkms.conf file.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
/usr/sbin/dkms: line 1837: echo: write error: Broken pipe
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
cryptsetup: WARNING: failed to detect canonical device of /dev/sda6
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
Generating grub.cfg ...
using custom appearance settings
Found background image: linuxmint.png
Found Debian background: linuxmint.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
done
Setting up linux-headers-3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 (3.4.0-8) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
Error! Bad conf file.
File:
Setting up linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 (3.4.0-8) ...
Setting up linux-image-liquorix-amd64 (3.4.0-8) ...

is it installed correctly or should i add some dkms packeges or anything?
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

@ganeshanair,

1)
Do you have an encrypted partition? I don't think that kernel has encryptfs support compiled in, but I could be wrong.

2)
What module are you trying to build against this kernel?
Do you have dkms installed?

Judging from the errors I just saw, if root is in the encrypted partition, I think you're better off not using this kernel and remove it after booting to the current working kernel. It seems to me you'll need to compile your own kernel and enable encryptfs support, it's not very hard, there are plenty of instructions on how to do this.
ganeshanair

Post by ganeshanair »

bro i am a newbie so could u give me a link on how to compile my own kernal
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

ganeshanair wrote:bro i am a newbie so could u give me a link on how to compile my own kernal
This forum http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=102644 has a lot of good information about kernels in LMDE
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Here's a good one: a little old but easy to follow.http://www.howtoforge.com/roll_a_kernel ... ubuntu_way
ganeshanair

Post by ganeshanair »

thx i am actually downloading kernal 3.4.4 it only 75 mb i thought it be bigger anyway i was wondering if there was a way to complile liquorix kernal from source since i want to try it soo much but having problems installing oh by the way i am using bumblebee its a software the switches between my nvdia and intel graphics cards would i have to install bumblebee too since i have to install nvidia suport?
ganeshanair

Post by ganeshanair »

its still the dkms module problem? is there something rong with my pc should i install some softwares for modules?

Setting up linux-headers-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4 (3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4-10.00.Custom) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4 /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4
Error! Bad conf file.
File:
Setting up linux-image-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4 (3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4-10.00.Custom) ...
Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4 /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4
Error! Bad conf file.
File:
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4 /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4 /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4 /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4
Generating grub.cfg ...
using custom appearance settings
Found background image: linuxmint.png
Found Debian background: linuxmint.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.4.4-vanillakernel-3.4
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1

i dont really understand what u mean by modules is there something i should install to solve this?
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Ok, it looks like you successfully compiled your own kernel. So that isn't the issue. However, there are still 2 errors resulting from this... one has to do with encryption. Are you using encryption on any of your partitions? Do you have the encryption software installed like cryptsetup for example?

Second, just thinking out loud, can u look in /usr/src and tell me what folders are there? One of those is a folder for a module that you downloaded to be built against the kernel, dkms style. I'm guessing it has to do with nvidia since you mentioned bumblebee. I'm not familiar with bumblebee since I don't have nvidia cards in any of my systems. Check out this post, there are instructions and possible fix relating to this issue.
ganeshanair

Post by ganeshanair »

about the first bro I looked and found I installed cryptsetup but I don’t think I ever used it how can we know if we encrypted something? Could it be solved if I delete it?

in the src page there is the bbswitcher(which is for the bumblebee) then linux header 3.2 amd64 and linux header common one ,the linux kbuild 3.2 ndiswrapper 1.57 nvidia 295.53 virtualbox 4.1.8 and virtualbox guest 4.1.8 (i removed the vanilla kernel becouse it was hindering the hibernating button but it got installed ik that because even though I couldn’t see it maybe because of burg I was still able to see it in the kernel list of grub custmizer ) and u see i did try to look around the net it was the same case for the liquroxi kernal and in that form i saw a solution the person said it might be couse of broken dkms packages he wrote the code and said make sure each file's output includes a variable named BUILT_MODULE_NAME.

for i in `locate dkms.conf | grep -E '^/usr/src'`; do echo -e "\n\n*** $i:"; cat $i; done

*** /usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.57/dkms.conf:
PACKAGE_NAME="ndiswrapper"
PACKAGE_VERSION="1.57"
DEST_MODULE_LOCATION[0]="/updates"
AUTOINSTALL="yes"

*** /usr/src/virtualbox-guest-4.1.8/dkms.conf:
PACKAGE_NAME="virtualbox-guest"
PACKAGE_VERSION="4.1.8"
CLEAN="rm -f *.*o"
BUILT_MODULE_NAME[0]="vboxguest"
BUILT_MODULE_LOCATION[0]="vboxguest"
DEST_MODULE_LOCATION[0]="/updates"
BUILT_MODULE_NAME[1]="vboxsf"
BUILT_MODULE_LOCATION[1]="vboxsf"
DEST_MODULE_LOCATION[1]="/updates"
BUILT_MODULE_NAME[2]="vboxvideo"
BUILT_MODULE_LOCATION[2]="vboxvideo"
DEST_MODULE_LOCATION[2]="/updates"
AUTOINSTALL="yes"

I looked and realized I don’t understand this at all so could u guys tell me if my dkms has broken packages?
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

Here's the trick ;)

Code: Select all

/home/jas# for i in $(ls /usr/src/*/dkms.conf); do if [ -z "`grep BUILT_MODULE_NAME $i`" ]; then echo "$i is a culprit"; fi; done
/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.57/dkms.conf is a culprit

Code: Select all

/home/jas# for i in $(ls /usr/src/*/dkms.conf); do if [ -z "`grep BUILT_MODULE_NAME $i`" ]; then echo "Add this line to $i"; echo -n 'BUILT_MODULE_NAME[0]="'; grep ^MODNAME "`echo $i | sed s/dkms.conf/Makefile/`" | sed 's/.*=[ \t]*\(.*\)/\1"/'; fi; done
Add this line to /usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.57/dkms.conf
BUILT_MODULE_NAME[0]="ndiswrapper"

Return to “LMDE Archive”