Laggy feel and video problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jozi

Laggy feel and video problems

Post by Jozi »

On a fresh instal here and just trying out things. Noticed the os feels somewhat laggy and im having problems with online videos. On jay leno's garage site the vids dont appear to be smooth and on another site I got the following error:

Code: Select all

200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://i.cdn.openx.com/1ca/1ca65cf4-b0a1-4a4d-b178-ee4d9def09f2/2b4/2b417d7ea1c346c87c36dfa0f1ee3609.mp4''
I'm running mint 13 on a amd athlon xp 2500, 1.5gig of ram and a nvidia 6600 agp card, it's all old hardware but I wouldnt have expected it to feel laggy and slow. I'm using a nvidia driver that I had to download ~(I can't remember what I had to do to get it but I found it under "aditional drivers" where 2 are listed).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Laggy feel and video problems

Post by grimdestripador »

I just went to http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/ on an old P4 (Dell GX620) with no video drivers. And the video does seems to stop every once in a while. But mainly smooth linux mint 13.
shipturion

Post by shipturion »

Im experiencig same problems with streaming videos... it gets laggy, and freezes a bit. After doing some research i found that a lot of people claim flash works a bit awkwardly on linux
Jozi

Post by Jozi »

It didn't really seem to stop on me, more like it was not rendering the full amount of frames or skipping frames. Sound seemed perfect and didn't skip or anything. I've also found it happens with youtube.

In general use though I found it a bit laggy.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I think a lot of users are learning that the latest versions of Ubuntu / Mint are too demanding for older / low powered equipment. Basically, Ubuntu Linux is going through its own "Vista" phase of developing an operating system for higher powered hardware and leaving the oldies but goodies behind.

On my netbook (1Ghz Atom) everything up to Ubuntu 10 / Mint 11 runs great and I experience lag on everything after that. I've decided that for the remaining life of this low powered netbook I'm using Lubuntu 10.10, the equivalent of Mint 11. The cost of using the older OS is that updates to the latest fixes and versions of some browsers and other software are no longer supported. The benefit is much better performance, and that's good enough for me. I suggest creating a Live USB of an older version of Ubuntu / Mint and seeing if you like it and if it runs better.

I have absolutely no problem running Youtube, Vimeo and ordinary streaming video on my little netbook (not in HD, of course) - I have some occasional stops and starts with more demanding services like Bloomberg TV.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Jozi

Post by Jozi »

I gave up this morning and installed ubuntu 11.10 :oops: It's a bit more resposive, things are slow opening though, video works better but not flawless. I might step down to 10 or an older version of mint, I had some problems with a printer not being recognised under mint, ubuntu sees it but i still can't get it to work :lol: Kinda enjoying it if a little frustrating at times.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Jozi

Post by Jozi »

Installed Mint 11 and I'm much happier with how this works. Only problem I'm having is that youtube vieo's (flash in general) isn't work for me. I've tried installing various flash things from the software manager but no luck so far. I'm getting a msg in the vids saying "missing plugin"
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I'd suggest trying Google Chrome which comes with Flash preinstalled as part of the download. Another good thing about Chrome is that its version updates kept coming, while Firefox is frozen at version 11 on Lubuntu 10.10. Glad Mint 11 is working for you - it's a nice OS.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Jozi

Post by Jozi »

I installed Chromium but I'll try chrome if it works. Before downloading will I uninstall any instance of flash cause at this point I have no idea what has been added or removed!

Mint is also quite recognisable as windows, the start menu and window buttons are all in the same place, less explaining to the parents to do :lol: I did like Gnome under ubuntu 11.10.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I've had use of recent Chromium with one of my test Live USBs and it's much improved over the one came with my Lubuntu, but does require a separate Flash installation. Sorry I can't comment on the problem you're having, but hopefully Chrome+Flash will help.
Jozi

Post by Jozi »

Installed Chrome both via downloading it and software/package manager but it won't run/open when clicked on, anyone any idea's?
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Jozi wrote:Installed Chrome both via downloading it and software/package manager but it won't run/open when clicked on, anyone any idea's?
Open terminal and give a command chrome or chrome-browser
Jozi

Post by Jozi »

oobetimer wrote: Open terminal and give a command chrome or chrome-browser
I'm not sure I follow, do I just type "chrome" or "chrome-browser" in to terminal or do I need something else with it? If just the works for either I get "chrome-browser: command not found"

I just noticed, some youtube video's work in chromium, other it says "this video is currently unavailable", vimeo tells me something broke when trying it.

--- edit ---

This for example wont work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpaT8NzkLgE
But this does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyqo03zmzZw
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Jozi wrote:
This for example wont work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpaT8NzkLgE
But this does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyqo03zmzZw
Opera works .. :wink:
Jozi

Post by Jozi »

A plug-in crashes in Opera :( for both vids.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Jozi wrote:A plug-in crashes in Opera :( for both vids.
Remove mint-flashplugin and install flashplugin-installer via Synaptic .. :wink:
Jozi

Post by Jozi »

Just checked and mint-flashplugin was already uninstalled, and flashplugin-installer already installed. I also have 'flashplugin-nonfree' installed

--- edit ---

Should I be rebooting or something after all this adding and removing software?
Jozi

Post by Jozi »

I installed 'adobe-flashplugin' instead of 'flashplugin-installer' and that taken 2 trailer now crashes 'shockwave-flash' after very briefly playing some stuttering sound. If I try a video on jay leno's garage I get this error:

We're sorry lighspark encountered a yet unsupported flash file
SWF file: [some url]
Cause: unhandled actionscript exception
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Jozi wrote:I installed 'adobe-flashplugin' instead of 'flashplugin-installer' and that taken 2 trailer now crashes 'shockwave-flash' after very briefly playing some stuttering sound. If I try a video on jay leno's garage I get this error:

We're sorry lighspark encountered a yet unsupported flash file
SWF file: [some url]
Cause: unhandled actionscript exception
I suppose that you have installed lighspark and/or gnash, which does not work with every web site so far. If you remove them, leno´s garage should work (I don´t know about these buildings :lol: ).

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightspark

A video about Gnash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I00y73dpa3Q&feature=plcp

Return to “Beginner Questions”