Duck-Duck-Go must go!

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
frderek
Level 1
Level 1

Duck-Duck-Go must go!

Post by frderek »

What a heap of SHITE. Please purge from future releases.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Duck-Duck-Go must go!

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

If you don't like it, go download and use the official Mozilla Firefox (like I do).

1. Extract the Firefox to your home folder
Everything done in terminal from this point onwards:
2. sudo mv firefox /opt/
3. sudo ln -sf /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/
4. Remove old configuration files--> rm -rf /home/$USER/.mozilla

Done, done, and done.
mint123

Post by mint123 »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:If you don't like it, go download and use the official Mozilla Firefox (like I do).

1. Extract the Firefox to your home folder
Everything done in terminal from this point onwards:
2. sudo mv firefox /opt/
3. sudo ln -sf /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/
4. Remove old configuration files--> rm -rf /home/$USER/.mozilla

Done, done, and done.
I purged Firefox 12 before downloading FF13 from Mozilla and doing your instructions. When I try to execute the firefox binary, I get an error.

Failed to execute child process "/opt/firefox/firefox" (No such file or directory). :shock:

Permissions are root owned but everyone else read-only. Same as the firefox I removed. Did you experience this?
jswmcw

Post by jswmcw »

Why not just download the search engine you want from http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

DDG is not going to be removed. It is a important search engine, offering privacy and unfiltered search (no "filter bubble"), unlike most search engines. You can easily replace it with a search engine you prefer.

On Linux Mint 12 DDG was the default search engine, on Linux Mint 13 Yahoo! is the default search engine. For both Linux Mint versions, to change your search engine, click on the little down arrow icon in the search box. Choose "Manage Search Engines", then click "Get more search engines" and you are directed to: http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php. Here you can click on the more popular search engines to quickly add them to your Firefox.

As shared above, there are also other websites where you can easily add more search engines to your Firefox (not least among them Firefox's own page at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search-tools/ with hundreds of search engines).

If you want to change the search engine used in the awesome bar (aka address bar), enter about:config as address there and press enter. Click the button to continue, and search for browser.search.defaultenginename. Double-click the result, or right-click it and choose Modify. Then replace the current value shown with the title of search engine as it is shown in your search box (when you clicked the down arrow icon before, it showed a list of search engines, take the name from there).
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:If you don't like it, go download and use the official Mozilla Firefox (like I do).
Do you have to make any changes to the AppArmor profile as well?
pickles99

Post by pickles99 »

I use DuckDuckgo.

Please don't remove it.

I don't agree with what Google does. Track you, sell your info. I don't like how Google decides what their search engine shows you, they block you from seeing things.

Please remove Google from mint. I've tried removing Pidgin since it's linked to Google/Facebook and it won't let me without removing Cinnamon. Why is Pidgin hardwired to Cinnamon?
Onsen

Post by Onsen »

So Duck-Duck-Go is for privacy.. it looked retarded and I didn't bother checking it out.
I don't like google either and recommend using https://ixquick.com/
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

Onsen wrote:So Duck-Duck-Go is for privacy.. it looked retarded and I didn't bother checking it out.
You must miss out on a lot of good software if your criterion for 'checking them out' is their looks.
Onsen

Post by Onsen »

As long as I have something that works for me, I'm not too eager to test out everything in existence. Ixquick works for me. Maybe I'd try using DDG if it was a recommendation from someone, but I stumbled upon the search engine while testing Midori and didn't really feel that it was something to be taken seriously considering its ridiculous looks.

Now I know that its about privacy, so I learned something useful today.
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

I still don't understand why you think DuckDuckGo looks "ridiculous". This is Google and DuckDuckGo and ixquick. They all look much the same to me.

What is ridiculous? I mean who, on earth, would ever consider calling their hours and days and weeks of hard labour something stupid like "Google"? What about "ixquick", what the Dickens does that thing do?
Onsen

Post by Onsen »

[EDITED: removed uncalled personal reference according to the forum rules specially point [2]
Image Image Image

I'd rather have a search engine with a neutral logo. Not one with a retarded looking duck. Sorry.

...well... that and I already have a search engine that gets the job done. I see no reason to switch from ixquick to DDG.
Last edited by Onsen on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

Onsen wrote: I'd rather have a search engine with a neutral logo. Not one with a retarded looking duck. Sorry.
I don't like the duck image either...
I use Start Page, which is really obscure, but I like it.

https://startpage.com/
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

Onsen wrote:I'd rather have a search engine with a neutral logo. Not one with a retarded looking duck. Sorry.
Which brings us back to my original point
odo5435 wrote:You must miss out on a lot of good software if your criterion for 'checking them out' is their looks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I think everybody has made their point. As this isn't going anywhere, locking it. The suggestion has been noted.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”