Semi-solved: wicd isn't using wicd icons

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Semi-solved: wicd isn't using wicd icons

Post by LindseyD. »

On this laptop, using Mint12-KDE, I only have a wireless connection.

There are two icons in the panel indicating wireless. I know one of them is for wicd-kde client (or whatever it's called) but no idea what the other is. I see that Network-Manager is running, but only as a root process.

In any case, the icons "work" differently. That is, when I click on them, what shows up in terms of info & connection management is quite different. This doesn't bother me, but what does bother me is that the two icons are identical, and neither seem to belong to wicd. I'd like one of them to be different.

I've found wicd icons in /usr/share/kde4/apps/wicd-kde/icons/oxygen/16x16/devices/ and /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd/ but those aren't the one(s) I see in the panel, which are shown below:
system_tray.png
I can't figure out how to get the tray to use the correct icon set. Can someone please enlighten me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint17 KDE
Schoelje

Re: wicd isn't using wicd icons

Post by Schoelje »

I never got network-manager and wicd working together on my laptop.
Removing network-manager solved all my problems.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been reading about uninstalling network-manager but, if I had to uninstall one of them, the thing that isn't wicd-kde is the one I'd prefer to keep.

But I'd really rather have my cake and eat it, too. Having different icons would be the icing on the cake :lol:
Mint17 KDE
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

If you prefer Wicd on you laptop, but don't care much about the icons, follow these steps:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Al ... ent=125921

Code: Select all

wget -c http://kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-files/125921-wicd.tar.gz
tar -C /usr/share/pixmaps -zxvf 125921-wicd.tar.gz
mv /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd-org
cp /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd-pale /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd
And uninstall network-manager:

apt-get purge network-manager*
(Taken from my tutorial: "LMDE Homebrew: Mintified Debian with KDE Desktop")

If you prefer to keep network-manager, uninstall wicd:

apt-get purge wicd*
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Hi Schoelje:

Thanks for you patience. Maybe I didn't explain clearly. My wireless is working fine, so I don't need to (or want to) uninstall anything.

I have a bunch of icons in /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd/ but they are completely different from what's currently in my system tray. So, first off, if wicd and/or network-manager aren't accessing the right icon directory, I don't think changing the icons in /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd/ will help.

I guess what my original question boils down to is: How can I make wicd and/or network-manager use different icons? I tried installing a different icon set, but that didn't work.
Mint17 KDE
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Your problem sounds like this bug:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=606761

I see in my latest repos that wicd has version number 1.7.1
With this version I cannot reproduce your issue.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Schoelje, thank you for this! I'll bet that's the problem, all right.

They say it got fixed in version wicd-kde_0.2.1-4 and I have wicd-kde_0.2.1-5. but I know what "regression" means ;-)

I drove myself crazy with this. Never occurred to me to check bug reports :oops:
Mint17 KDE

Return to “Software & Applications”